Round 2 of no AirBnB/Crashpads

10 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

DTS in and of itself isn't the main issue.  It's the approvers and finance types creatively applying their interpretation of the JTR that causes the headaches.  I broke in Rota for a week and my Flt/CC denied taxi reimbursement because I had meals available (I was in Bravo the whole time, so this was BS).  I also once took a POV in lieu of Airfare/Rental Car and was denied vicinity mileage (even though the approver originally authorized it) because the language of the JTR said "may approve" instead of "should" or "will."  That marked the last time I chose to drive my own vehicle anywhere.  Approvers at my current base often amend my voucher (usually to my benefit, but at least once to my detriment) without coordinating the change with me first. 

The one real issue I take with JTR/DTS is the "where you are at midnight local" rule.  I flew a mission where I transited many high per diem/expensive locations, but was airborne at midnight for several nights in a row (thus showing in transit on my voucher).  When we finally hacked 0001 on the ground, it was in Gander, so all those in transit dates were reimbursed at the shitty Gander MI&E rate.

True statement:  I was a duly deputized DTS approving official for my squadron back when this happened.  Although it was the PCS budget that those guys were busted for, it had an impact on TDY policy as well, at least from where I sat. 

We sent teams TDY all the time, many times including young Airmen.  I made every effort to make sure those guys were taken care of.  I had a folder full of MFRs documenting the chapter and verse of the JTR, but I did whatever was moral, legal, and ethical to make sure dudes got paid. 

After the event I linked above, the base CPTS started putting out all sorts of "guidance" that our Resource Advisor started giving me crap about.  I often pulled out the JTR to show how he and they were wrong, and won every fight.  Fortunately, I left that unit soon after.

Bottom line, Approving Officials have broad latitude to approve things within the JTR.  Local management often curtails it due to risk aversion.

On 5/18/2017 at 6:44 AM, Homestar said:

That stupid online booking tool only exists to provide mandatory preferential treatment to hotel chains that have paid to play with DoD. The taxi lobby must also be strong in D.C. because I am now supposed to check that taking a cab 25 miles to the airport and 25 miles back to my house is cheaper than paying long term parking. 

That was my biggest problem with it....we don't book ANYTHING thru DTS so to slip some weak ass "catch all" claiming the condos/houses aren't up to fire code is asinine.......

• Upvote 2

On 5/22/2017 at 5:45 PM, HeyWatchThis said:

That was my biggest problem with it....we don't book ANYTHING thru DTS so to slip some weak ass "catch all" claiming the condos/houses aren't up to fire code is asinine.......

I don't think the plywood shack I made and lived in for months in Afghanistan met fire code either, but big blue didn't seem to have a problem with it.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, skibum said:

I don't think the plywood shack I made and lived in for months in Afghanistan met fire code either, but big blue didn't seem to have a problem with it.

This is the kind of shit "leaders" are ignorant of.  They actually think we are a huddled mass waiting for their guidance. Reality may be a bitter pill, indeed....

Edited by ViperStud