Air Force/Airline Meeting

On 5/20/2017 at 10:15 AM, dream big said:

Doubt it, most based I've been to are run by shoe clerks.  The shoe clerks chirp and the wing/cc listens.  Ops is secondary.  We are just a bunch of whiny zipper suited sun gods.  That's what's wrong with the Air Force.  Although I just PCSd to an unnamed heavily tasked base in Mid-America and I'm surprised at how mission focused they are.  

Love that base, love that mission.

• Upvote 1

I keep hearing Stop Loss and it may be inevitable, but what a chocolate mess it would create.  For starters how long do you think they can Stop Loss someone...out to 20 years of service? This is a problem that is NOT going to go away overnight...or after a year....or two years, this is system that is imploding. 

I also wonder what the justification will be when the legal challenges start.  Yes you can declare national emergency because the nation is at war, but we have been at war for 16 years, this is a problem of MISMANAGEMENT by senior USAF folks who were kicking people out just two years ago. 

I hear the 15 year ADSC chat and the ramp up of pilot training, but the problem is not with young pilots, it is the 8-9 year IP that you can't build overnight. 

Mark my words, watch the accident rate over the next 5 years folks.

• Upvote 7

We just had a meeting with a "senior leader" in A3 who basically said nothing more than "we're making really great programs to train new pilots and retain pilots."

Inspired zero confidence that they have any ing clue what to do.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2017 at 0:16 PM, Duck said:

"Wait, we have planes at this base?" -overheard at Finance and MPFs around the country...

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Yeah, seriously asked at my base. 

SSgt xx: excuse me sir, where is Capt xx doing that thing?

me: what thing?

SSgt xx:  makes a "takeoff" motion with her hands a few times

me: flying?

SSgt xx: yeah! That's it!

me: the runway

SSgt xx: where is that?

9 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I hope you are wrong, my stomach cringed with anger every time a mishap happened during the period of sharply increased mishaps during 2013/sequestration.

Check out the AIB results for the Holloman mishap.  RC: HAF cramming 10 lbs of shit into a 5 lb bag at the B-Course.  There are several bullshit, laughable findings, but the blatantly obvious one to any aircrew is the fact HAF has "accepted the risk" and slashed the hell out of the syllabus while demanding students still do everything that was done in the past.  This kind of stuff is the result.  But not surprisingly, it was everyone else's fault other than big AF; apparently "accepting the risk" equals blaming anyone but themselves for mishaps.

I hate to say this, but I don't think CH is wrong.  AF management will be the RC, and good people will die due to their inability to actually lead.

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

17 minutes ago, brabus said:

I hate to say this, but I don't think CH is wrong.  AF management will be the RC, and good people will die due to their inability to actually lead.

They're (the panel) talking about growing pilots rapidly and it's associated problems, namely lack of safety due to inexperience. They're veiled language is:

"...In addition to creating new pathways to becoming a pilot, participants also agreed existing pathways should be improved and expanded to take advantage of available technology and safety research to ensure pilot training and qualification are focused on quality performance measures."

Allow me to translate...MAKE NEW PILOTS FAST DAMMIT (small cough, cough, *mumble* crap); and find some of that key-characteristics-shit that'll keep those inexperienced swine safe. Where is that lipstick!!!?

Break, break:

Notice who had their jacket off? Oh the symbology...guess it's time to get to work boys and girls!

4 hours ago, brabus said:

Check out the AIB results for the Holloman mishap.  RC: HAF cramming 10 lbs of shit into a 5 lb bag at the B-Course.  There are several bullshit, laughable findings, but the blatantly obvious one to any aircrew is the fact HAF has "accepted the risk" and slashed the hell out of the syllabus while demanding students still do everything that was done in the past.  This kind of stuff is the result.  But not surprisingly, it was everyone else's fault other than big AF; apparently "accepting the risk" equals blaming anyone but themselves for mishaps.

But A3s slides said there would be no risk for shortening the B-Course!

The reality is that like you said, HAF has accepted the risk. There will be another accident with fatalities after bending some metal, upper management will shrug their shoulders and nothing will change. Yet their OPRs will probably be pretty darn good I'm guessing 

1 hour ago, Breckey said:

Here is the best we've got now. All of the executive summaries are no longer automatically uploaded and it seems to be the bigger mishaps that have reports. Also it only gets updated 1-2 times per month.

Well that sucks.  To top it off that link gives google a privacy error and won't let me connect.