A-10 units

17 minutes ago, gear3green said:

How competitive are A-10 units compare to other fighter units?

Not hard at all. Inside tip, when writing your cover letter... always mention Rep. Martha McSally and say that she's someone you look up to. She's HUGE in the A-10 world.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Kiloalpha said:

Not hard at all. Inside tip, when writing your cover letter... always mention Rep. Martha McSally and say that she's someone you look up to. She's HUGE in the A-10 world.

I appreciate the response and thanks for the tip. I was reading about her and actually found it motivating. Once again thank you so much! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ho Lee Fuk said:

I don't think this is an answerable question...... especially if you don't clarify "competitive."

Out of curiosity, if it was an answerable question, what would it matter? If, for example, A-10 units were incredibly competitive, would that change your decision to apply?

No, it would not. But I know how the aircraft is being slated to go away I don't know if that's affecting with recruiting in certain units. I am just trying to get a field for what it's going on out there. I work for an airline who has an aircraft living and nobody wants to go into it because they know its a dying fleet. I don't know if its the same with the A-10. 

3 hours ago, gear3green said:

No, it would not. But I know how the aircraft is being slated to go away I don't know if that's affecting with recruiting in certain units. I am just trying to get a field for what it's going on out there. I work for an airline who has an aircraft living and nobody wants to go into it because they know its a dying fleet. I don't know if its the same with the A-10. 

That is a legitimate concern. I interviewed at an A-10 unit a few years ago that was sequestered and shut down like a month after I interviewed. I was given the opportunity to fly UAV's which I respectfully declined and probably 90% of the pilots bailed for other manned units. Other A-10 units have switched to MC-12's I believe. Both are cool options if that is what you are interested in, but just be aware of the possible outcomes if you do manage to get hired by an A-10 unit. It will still be super competitive regardless.  

Kiloalpha's advice is on point, by the way. 

Edited by bb17
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, bb17 said:

That is a legitimate concern. I interviewed at an A-10 unit a few years ago that was sequestered and shut down like a month after I interviewed. I was given the opportunity to fly UAV's which I respectfully declined and probably 90% of the pilots bailed for other manned units. Other A-10 units have switched to MC-12's I believe. Both are cool options if that is what you are interested in, but just be aware of the possible outcomes if you do manage to get hired by an A-10 unit. It will still be super competitive regardless.  

Kiloalpha's advice is on point, by the way. 

Thank you for understanding. That's my point I really like the A-10 but since I don't know the future of the plane I don't want to get my hopes up. From what I got from Kiloalpha is that the A-10 units are not as competitive as the other fighter units. 

9 hours ago, gear3green said:

Thank you for understanding. That's my point I really like the A-10 but since I don't know the future of the plane I don't want to get my hopes up.

Alright, not trying to be a dick, but you have the wrong attitude. Is the A-10 your #1 choice of airframe? If so, why the hell would you even consider not applying? They're probably going to ask you what you would do if they switch to a heavy/C-130/RPA/F-16/whatever.... Be thinking about what you would actually do for each of those cases and answer accordingly.

9 hours ago, gear3green said:

From what I got from Kiloalpha is that the A-10 units are not as competitive as the other fighter units. 

Imagine saying that during an interview weekend. Hey guys, thanks for inviting me out here, answering all my questions, telling me some great stories, giving me invaluable advice on pilot training and the AF in general, and giving me a preview of your unit and its culture... I had such a great time, and I'm so glad "A-10 units are not as competitive as the other fighter units." Do you think you'd get the job? My guess is that, if you were invited for an interview, you would rather receive a swift kick to the nuts than to utter that phrase.

You're on the right track with being upfront about your desire to fly the A-10. I don't know of any cases where love for a platform has killed someone's chance. Stick with that attitude, and kill any and all thoughts that don't align with that attitude.

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tk1313 said:

Alright, not trying to be a dick, but you have the wrong attitude. Is the A-10 your #1 choice of airframe? If so, why the hell would you even consider not applying? They're probably going to ask you what you would do if they switch to a heavy/C-130/RPA/F-16/whatever.... Be thinking about what you would actually do for each of those cases and answer accordingly.

Imagine saying that during an interview weekend. Hey guys, thanks for inviting me out here, answering all my questions, telling me some great stories, giving me invaluable advice on pilot training and the AF in general, and giving me a preview of your unit and its culture... I had such a great time, and I'm so glad "A-10 units are not as competitive as the other fighter units." Do you think you'd get the job? My guess is that, if you were invited for an interview, you would rather receive a swift kick to the nuts than to utter that phrase.

You're on the right track with being upfront about your desire to fly the A-10. I don't know of any cases where love for a platform has killed someone's chance. Stick with that attitude, and kill any and all thoughts that don't align with that attitude.

Hey man thank you for the response. I agree 100% with what you said. At the moment I'm at the  airlines and I was prior service army but I feel like my GPA might kill the chances (2.5) since I heard fighters are super competitive and I being prior service I don't want to waste anybody's time either. 

22 minutes ago, gear3green said:

Hey man thank you for the response. I agree 100% with what you said. At the moment I'm at the  airlines and I was prior service army but I feel like my GPA might kill the chances (2.5) since I heard fighters are super competitive and I being prior service I don't want to waste anybody's time either. 

You never know until you try.

• Upvote 5

The A-10 is back to 2035+; the 15C is the new kid on the "near term" chopping block.  Point: Shit changes all the time and will change 69 times before you're even done with UPT.  Go for the job you want as it exist today; do not alter your decisions/goals based on hypotheticals or possibilities of what the future MIGHT be, because nobody, especially the dipshits running the AF, has a clue what 1 yr from now looks like, let alone 10+ yrs from now.

• Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2017 at 6:01 PM, Kiloalpha said:

Your Martha dis is 10 years+ outdated.  Everyone I know who actually worked for she says she was great.  And considering she payed a big part in saving the Hog I'd say her rep in the community is just fine these days.  

On 5/15/2017 at 9:47 PM, bb17 said:

Other A-10 units have switched to MC-12's I believe.

Just to correct the record here, there is one unit in the Air Force currently flying the MC-12 (185th SOS, Oklahoma Air National Guard), and they were not a former A-10 unit.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

Just to correct the record here, there is one unit in the Air Force currently flying the MC-12 (185th SOS, Oklahoma Air National Guard), and they were not a former A-10 unit.

Whoops - guess I was thinking of unit(s) like Ft. Wayne that were under consideration but didn't happen. 

2 hours ago, Steve C said:

Everyone I know who actually worked for she says she was great.

I was at BAF when she was the Hog SQ/CC there, and I can assure you that was not the predominant opinion among the people who she Commanded.

3 hours ago, Steve C said:

Your Martha dis is 10 years+ outdated.  Everyone I know who actually worked for she says she was great.  And considering she payed a big part in saving the Hog I'd say her rep in the community is just fine these days.  

What's really sad its people come here for advice but some members actually enjoy leading people the wrong way. I hope that's not the norm in the Air Force. 

What's really sad its people come here for advice but some members actually enjoy leading people the wrong way. I hope that's not the norm in the Air Force. 

Don't worry. Leading doesn't happen often in the Air Force.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Not an A-10 guy but here's some advice for anyone going to an interview:

Your accomplishments got you the interview, nobody cares about them after that. They probably dont give a shit about your last career field either. You're qualified, just be yourself and if you're a good fit it will work out. Don't talk down about other JTACs you served with and their dipshit tendencies.

The interview is usually formal so I'd show up in your service dress. This is usually the expectation for priors. The meet and greet/social event/bar is not formal. Again, be yourself, shut up when dudes are talking but be social. Nothing is more awkward than having 12 people in the bar who are interviewing the next day that won't socialize because they're afraid to talk.

I'm usually one of the guys in the bar at the meet and greet and then flying the world's greatest fighter on the day of the interview. It's difficult for me to give a recommendation to the hiring board if nobody had fun and socialized at the meet and greet.