Hey all, I am about a couple weeks away from a flight physical and I got some paperwork with an interesting question. The question was "Have you ever or do you now have an undescended testicle". I haven't said anything yet because I had an undescended testicle but it was fixed when I was much younger. I was wondering a few things in this situation. 

1. Would this condition disqualify me from flight?

2. Is this condition waiverable/ what are my chances for a waiver?

3. Worst case, there is about an inch long scar on my pubis, how in depth are the medical screens/ do you think they will find it under pubic hair if I don't say anything to the question.

Thank you in advance for taking your time to help me out.

You have to send a closeup picture to Toro on this site for further analysis.

Just a single scope investigation? I thought it would have to be a moderator majority, and he'd have to include M2 and ClearedHot at minimum as well.

1.  Don't know.  Refer to the AFI... can't recall which one in the Medical category though.  It's been posted a number of places here, however.

2.  Don't know, but most things are waiverable.  

3.  If it is covered by hair, I doubt they will see it. 

During my FC1 the doc never did a hernia check, the pants never came off. Now that was not the case with some other dudes there, seemed like it depended on what doc you got. Now meps on the other hand did check. The reason they look for scars is to catch any surgeries you've had that you "forgot" to mention.  

The odds of them looking very close up and detailed is slim, and they probably wouldn't notice. But that being said if they somehow do, and you then disclose it, its going be awkward and prob not going to make the doc happy. Its most likely waiverable, check into it and cover your bases. 

An history of cryptorchidism (undescended testicle) is disqualifying for Flying Class I/IA, II, & III IAW line J51 of the Medical Standards Directory dated Nov 29, 2016.

The reason why is due to a 2-8 times increased risk of developing testicular cancer.

This is a DoD standard that applies to the Services IAW DoDI 6130.03.

1) You would need a waiver for appointment, enlistment, or induction into the military.

2) You would need a waiver for USAF aviation.

I would prior to the MEPS physical get a urologist to give my balls a good going over and a clean bill of health.  You want a statement  from said doctor that you have no pain or other problems with your junk.  There needs to be a statement of other risk factors such as personal history of testicular cancer, family history of testicular cancer, Caucasian race, or any environmental exposures that would increase risk of testicular cancer.

Collect all records pertaining to your nut sack including the surgery to fix your hidden ball and take it to the MEPS.  When the time comes do the same for the flight doc.  No need for another Urologist visit prior to the flight doc visit though if done prior to MEPS.

I think a waiver is likely but will be a pain in ass.  But you won't mind cause the joy of flying is on the other side of the nut roll.

The alternative is keep your mouth shut hoping you don't get caught and that your future flight docs catch the testicle cancer if it comes up later.

BTW, testicular cancer is usually painless but 30% have painful unilateral mass in the cancer nut.

• Upvote 1

An history of cryptorchidism (undescended testicle) is disqualifying for Flying Class I/IA, II, & III IAW line J51 of the Medical Standards Directory dated Nov 29, 2016.
The reason why is due to a 2-8 times increased risk of developing testicular cancer.
This is a DoD standard that applies to the Services IAW DoDI 6130.03.
1) You would need a waiver for appointment, enlistment, or induction into the military.
2) You would need a waiver for USAF aviation.
 I would prior to the MEPS physical get a urologist to give my balls a good going over and a clean bill of health.  You want a statement  from said doctor that you have no pain or other problems with your junk.  There needs to be a statement of other risk factors such as personal history of testicular cancer, family history of testicular cancer, Caucasian race, or any environmental exposures that would increase risk of testicular cancer.
Collect all records pertaining to your nut sack including the surgery to fix your hidden ball and take it to the MEPS.  When the time comes do the same for the flight doc.  No need for another Urologist visit prior to the flight doc visit though if done prior to MEPS.
I think a waiver is likely but will be a pain in ass.  But you won't mind cause the joy of flying is on the other side of the nut roll.
The alternative is keep your mouth shut hoping you don't get caught and that your future flight docs catch the testicle cancer if it comes up later.
BTW, testicular cancer is usually painless but 30% have painful unilateral mass in the cancer nut.

Thank you I appreciate all of the information you gave me, I already set an appointment with the Urologist who performed the operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums