Toxic Communities

Quick question, palace chase paperwork in, no response yet after almost 4 months.  I have 22 months left on my commitment and all of a sudden I am magically short listed for a remote?  Is this a coincidence or by design?  

I told leadership that I'm off this sinking ship next October and magically, 4 months later, here's your 6-monther to the Deid.  If you are reading this Chang...this is one of the 69 reasons people have had it.  You want more fighter SP throughput, deploy an experienced IP from T-38s, while ramping up class sizes.  That'll help the burden on others.  23 Oct 18 can't come soon enough.  

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, Snooter said:

Quick question, palace chase paperwork in, no response yet after almost 4 months.  I have 22 months left on my commitment and all of a sudden I am magically short listed for a remote?  Is this a coincidence or by design?  

I have two short tours under my belt. Yet, I have not told a soul I am going to retire in 3 years. If they get me for a 365, I will definitely be pissed. 

DONT TELL PEOPLE YOUR GAME PLAN. Just color so you can slide out the door.

Edited by cantfly
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, cantfly said:

I have two short tours under my belt. Yet, I have not told a soul I am going to retire in 3 years. If they get me for a 365, I will definitely be pissed. 

Play those cards close hold, else Big Blue will award you with that 365 or worse

• Upvote 2

Wow... what a coincidence. When I put in my Palace Chase App, while it was going through the wickets, I got tasked with a 6 monther to Iraq. That made my decision sooo much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

Play those cards close hold, else Big Blue will award you with that 365 or worse

I told the MPF I did a year on the ROK when enlisted and I wanted to know if that counted as short tour credit. They checked my records and gave me credit for that in VMPF. It's listed under my short tours to Iraq and Asscrackistan.

• Upvote 1

It's actually 2/3 of your INITIAL commitment, so ROTC guys have to serve 2/3 of 4-years. That being said, asking anymore than 1 year will get you a definite NO, and even 6 months isn't a sure thing anymore.

11 hours ago, cantfly said:

I also have two short tours and 8 years to go.  We'll see if my luck holds out.  At least my return date is in this decade, so that should help.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Duck said:

It's actually 2/3 of your INITIAL commitment, so ROTC guys have to serve 2/3 of 4-years. That being said, asking anymore than 1 year will get you a definite NO, and even 6 months isn't a sure thing anymore.

In case there are any young Zoomies, USAFA can't be on initial ADSC aka your first five years.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dream big said:

So verdict? Wait until six months out to put in for palace chase or put it in when legal to get approved (2/3 commitment)? 

Submit 6 mo out from when you want out. Ideally less than 1 yr from the end of your commitment so you dont win a tour to the desert. 

Edited by Sprkt69

Does anyone know what STRD years are being tagged with non-vol 365s? Or are these 180s the result of them cutting the year long deployments in half?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hit with a 365 and my STRD was 2001. Just had a Lt Col in my unit hit with one as well. He 3 day opted. From some of the discussions while TDY for spin up it sounds like they will stay a year (at least on the advising side) to help build stronger relationships.

On 4/27/2017 at 6:03 PM, Kiloalpha said:

explain to me how you're a leader and not simply an authority figure

For my last 3 or so years on active duty, I adopted the practice of calling authority figures in my chain of command "management" rather than "leadership".

Fortunately, I had Squadron leadership that rocked and were flying top cover for me, otherwise I'm sure I'd have added another LOR or something to my already-impressive record of administrative slaps on the wrist.

SQ/CC: "Hacker, have you briefed Group leadership on the ADVON plan?"

Me: "Sir, I did brief management, and they did not have any questions."

SQ/CC: "Why do you keep using the term 'management'?"

Me: "I'll call them "leadership" when they re-earn that title.  In the mean time, I'll call them what they actually are in practice."

SQ/CC: "I guess I won't be putting you up for Wing Staff anytime soon....you're dismissed."

• Upvote 10

I was hit with a 365 and my STRD was 2001. Just had a Lt Col in my unit hit with one as well. He 3 day opted. From some of the discussions while TDY for spin up it sounds like they will stay a year (at least on the advising side) to help build stronger relationships.

So a STRD in 2008 should keep me relatively safe for the next few years? I'm resigned to the fact that I will eat a 179, but I'm hoping to have the 3 day option for a possible 365.

1 hour ago, Hacker said:

For my last 3 or so years on active duty, I adopted the practice of calling authority figures in my chain of command "management" rather than "leadership".

Fortunately, I had Squadron leadership that rocked and were flying top cover for me, otherwise I'm sure I'd have added another LOR or something to my already-impressive record of administrative slaps on the wrist.

SQ/CC: "Hacker, have you briefed Group leadership on the ADVON plan?"

Me: "Sir, I did brief management, and they did not have any questions."

SQ/CC: "Why do you keep using the term 'management'?"

Me: "I'll call them "leadership" when they re-earn that title.  In the mean time, I'll call them what they actually are in practice."

SQ/CC: "I guess I won't be putting you up for Wing Staff anytime soon....you're dismissed."

One of those LORs is stillLEGEND