VLPAD

Guardian

Just checked MyPers and as of yesterday, they are not taking applications anymore. Doesn't say anything about just going active the old fashioned way though (EAD). I wonder if that's still a thing.

Edited by xcraftllc

An email I received from AFPC today, just sharing the info.

BLUF - they don't have enough money allocated to the program, so they are going to be extremely selective about which apps get approved.

The following is to inform you of the updated ROEs for VLPAD:  Based on the remaining balance in the FY20 MILPERS budget and the current plan for the FY21 Budget Estimate Submission, VLPAD will be offered on an exceptionally limited basis for the remainder of this year and future years.  HAF is standing up a VLPAD Review Board (VRB) comprising of members from the Components, AFPC, and Air Staff functionals to validate the operational requirements and prioritize the current submission.  The VRB will determine the criteria and rubric for approval with the highest priority given to support operational units reporting readiness and missions directly tied to the National Defense Strategy.  In short, HAF requested additional funds for VLPAD but was informed the program must live within current funding, thus very few applications may be approved after meeting the VRB criteria.  The VRB is expected to meet at the end of January.

I have no idea what/how they are going to select who gets approved.  I'm hoping they still realize they need Fighter Pilots but, from what I hear, HAF thinks the pilot shortage problem is solved. I searched for a "Critical Skills List" on MYPERS but found nothing for FY20, anyone have SA on that?

I should add that I spoke with an O-5 in the A1 office who deals with this program last week.  That individual told me that, if you have an app in already and it has been hung up in this whole delay, it should be meeting the VRB mentioned above.  After the VRB, which hopefully happens at the end of the month, AFPC will update you with a Go/No Go decision.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey dudes,

Possible topic revival. Anyone have any recent intel or heard any rumors regarding the VLPAD program getting started back up again?  

Speaking solely for the current/future pilot staffing situation, I have to bet that AFPC would be looking at every possible option to counter the post-COVID airline hiring party that is about to get started. 

Thanks in advance.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:11 PM, SelfLase said:

Hey dudes,

Possible topic revival. Anyone have any recent intel or heard any rumors regarding the VLPAD program getting started back up again?  

Speaking solely for the current/future pilot staffing situation, I have to bet that AFPC would be looking at every possible option to counter the post-COVID airline hiring party that is about to get started. 

Thanks in advance.

You think AFPC thinks ahead?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/7/2017 at 3:15 PM, Roto-Loco said:

VLPAD time is not exempt from the USERRA 5-Year limit per the VLPAD recall office. I called the office directly via an answer received from myPers.

Wayback thread revival:

I recently finished a 3 year VLPAD tour (it was awesome; very few complaints) after leaving the ANG.  I was already flying for a major airline, so I've used 3 years of USERRA protections with them.  I'm in the Reserves now and being courted for an AGR position that will get me across 20 years of AD service.  While the VLPAD office may have said in 2017 that the program is not USERRA exempt, what really matters is weather or not your employers thinks it is.  Anyone have any experience either getting VLPAD classified as USERRA exempt, or talking their airline into giving them greater than 5 years of Mil Leave?  I'd love to do this job for another 3 years, and then start getting paid to be alive, but I'm not willing to give up 7 years seniority to do it.

3 hours ago, nunya said:

To encourage guys to go away, some airlines didn’t count mil leave during COVID against USERRA.  Was yours one of those?

AAL did not count it. I have friends on orders as ARTs that are still out on mil leave.

Not looking for a new job or a new airframe and I'm not gonna move - it's not like I am desperate to get a full retirement.  I've got a cushy airline gig to go back to.  I'm just intrigued by the prospect of this particular AGR gig.

13 hours ago, nunya said:

To encourage guys to go away, some airlines didn’t count mil leave during COVID against USERRA.  Was yours one of those?

This is an excellent point.  I remember seeing emails about this a few years ago, but like most airline shit in 2020 I ignored it.  I started leave in 2019 so the key would be to make sure people already out on leave were considered exempt, and not just people who took leave after the pandemic hit.

10 hours ago, HercDude said:

Not looking for a new job or a new airframe and I'm not gonna move - it's not like I am desperate to get a full retirement.  I've got a cushy airline gig to go back to.  I'm just intrigued by the prospect of this particular AGR gig.

This is an excellent point.  I remember seeing emails about this a few years ago, but like most airline shit in 2020 I ignored it.  I started leave in 2019 so the key would be to make sure people already out on leave were considered exempt, and not just people who took leave after the pandemic hit.

Without knowing your airline, it is tough to say especially since many had special deals during COVID. JetBlue allows service beyond five years and simply requires you to present orders and then they stop paying your 401k matching and profit sharing, if any. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2022 at 6:24 AM, HookEmAll said:

Without knowing your airline, it is tough to say especially since many had special deals during COVID. JetBlue allows service beyond five years and simply requires you to present orders and then they stop paying your 401k matching and profit sharing, if any. 

Damn - I'm gonna miss that $255 check something fierce!  PM Sent.