VLPAD

Guardian

33 minutes ago, SocialD said:

I honestly haven't looked into this but I believe it's actually NGB that pays for the training, as they are the ones who divvy out the UPT slots.  If you haven't already had to get TAG approval as part of the VLPAD application process, you'll likely have get their sign-off if accepted.  If they release you, you're good to go, but I'm guessing your ADSC will remain.   We've had guys leave for non-flying gigs in other state and they technically still have their commitment.  Then again, there have been guys leave the Guard before the ADSC is complete.

I don't really understand VLPAD, so excuse my ignorance.  Are you just rolling to AD for a single, specific assignment, or just planning on moving to the AD for the long term.  We've had opportunities pop up here and there for random (some decent) assignments, but we'd still return to our squadron.  It could have been part of this VLPAD, I'm not sure.  I just wouldn't want to completely put myself at the whim of the AD, they've clearly proven they can't be trusted.  Anyway, best of luck!

You are rolling to AD for a single, specific assignment that last 3 years and 1 day.  

You’re still on the AFRC/ANG promotion cycle and when done with your VLPAD assignment, you go back to AFRC/ANG (but not your original unit unless they hire you back).  

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I just started working the VLPAD process and looking for a little gouge to facilitate app routing, NGB side of things, etc. I'm a Guard dude with an assignment already lined up, and my local leadership is supportive (as is AFPC) so now just need to get paperwork rolling through the wickets. My questions are:

1) How long did it take for your TAG to endorse the recommendation MFR?

2) What is the right way to communicate the intent up to NGB so there are no surprise "no's" later on? Do I need my DOT or leadership to notify A1 to grease the wheel?

3) Any gotchas or things you would have wished you knew if you had to do it over again?

I'm really impressed with the VLPAD team - they are responsive, supportive and have a clear process outlined. However, I also know enough about the Guard side of things to know that it may not be as straight forward of a process as advertised. I appreciate any additional information based on experience.

Cheers

It took less than 2 weeks for my TAG to sign the MFR. Just keep in mind your SQ/CC and WG/CC need to sign before the TAG.

I did not grease the skids with NGB. They provided a MFR stating their concurrence for me to go AD within maybe 2 weeks of the VLPAD app being submitted. The VLPAD team told me that NGB is typically pretty easy to work with and has quick turn around times.

Anyone done or heard of an unsponsored reservist doing a VLPAD tour straight out of UPT? Or for a Guard guy not completing fighter pipeline or whose unit went to RPAs?

If so, how would assignments work to an initial airframe?

Edited by Bobsan

I have not heard of it, but I also have not heard of many VLPAD stories in general.  Most, however, seem to be experienced pilots going this route because that is really what AD needs the most.

I would still ask the question but first I would consider looking for a new Guard/Reserve unit that has the air frame you are rated/training in.  Not uncommon for dudes to get into the B-course, have their unit switch air frames, and those dudes get picked up by other units.

Realize, the appeal to VLPAD for most experienced Guard/Reserve bubbas is that we hold all the cards in the negotiation.  AFPC needs to place pilots in specific positions that MOSTLY require you to be an experienced 4FL or IP (some do not however), so an experienced pilot gets to apply and then negotiate for a good deal.  If the good deal happens, great.  If the good deal doesn't happen, you just walk away from the table.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 10:57 PM, SPAWNmaster said:

Copy all, sounds quick. My service commitment situation is similar to what you had asked about further upstream in this thread. What ended up being the answer re UPT flying commitment release, ADSC etc?

FWIW (I'm long past any ADSC commitment to my rated career field), but, when you go on a VLPAD tour from the ANG you separate from the ANG and you have no rehire rights to that unit or any commitment to that unit when the VLPAD tour ends. When the TAG signs that MFR, they are basically saying goodbye and godspeed. When the tour ends, if you do nothing in terms of trying to join a new unit, IMA position, rejoin your ol' ANG unit, etc, you just fall into the inactive ready reserve (IRR) system (to the best of my knowledge from where I sit on a VLPAD tour with one year left on the clock).  So, I would think that any existing ADSC would likely just sit there untapped (if you favor beer as your preferred cold beverage).  I  have no knowledge that anyone has actually gone this route if that's your goal in trying to jump onto an AD tour and then skip out on the remaining ADSC.  Someone might chime in if they have executed this go around?

FWIW (part deuce), I've been on a VLPAD tour for two years and it's got plusses and minuses (like every job) but all and all it's 365 points per year.  I'll be around all day for PMs with specific questions.    Cheers! 

Edited by VigilanteNav

On 8/6/2019 at 8:01 PM, Bobsan said:

Anyone done or heard of an unsponsored reservist doing a VLPAD tour straight out of UPT? Or for a Guard guy not completing fighter pipeline or whose unit went to RPAs?

If so, how would assignments work to an initial airframe?

I'd be skeptical this would be an option.  As KP stated, the real need in the VLPAD program is for IPs or experienced MPs to fill the holes that the just completed their ADSC bubbas are vacating in droves.  From my (albeit limited) recent peek into some of the AD units, there are plenty of new faces in the units but not enough flying time and IPs to go around.  My 1.5 cents. 

On 5/1/2019 at 9:18 AM, Tank said:

You are rolling to AD for a single, specific assignment that last 3 years and 1 day.  

You’re still on the AFRC/ANG promotion cycle and when done with your VLPAD assignment, you go back to AFRC/ANG (but not your original unit unless they hire you back).  

As a former ANG member who is currently on a VLPAD tour, you are only in the AFRC promotion cycle and you only go back into the AFRC (IRR specifically) when the tour ends unless you proactively search for a job in the AFRC or ANG and get hired by a unit before the tour ends.  I'm in my last year so working the rejoin to an ANG unit so PM me if you have questions on that process. I've done AD to ANG to AFRC to ANG to ANG to AD so I'm getting a bit experienced on this process (for good or bad!). 

It's true - you will entirely separate from your ANG unit and technically be a Reservist on Extended Active Duty orders.  Your ANG unit does not have to hire you back when your 3 years are up.  I'm not sure why AFPC would accept an unsponsored Reservist, since the intent here to to provide experienced manning in critically undermanned billets.  That being said, the worst they can say is "no thanks."

I decided to agree to VLPAD in order to chase an Active duty retirement.  Since 3 years would get me just a few month short of 18 years - and thus into sanctuary - I felt like I was rolling the dice big time, because I had a good thing going with my Guard unit and my airline job.  Since VLPAD qualifies you for the pilot retention bonus, I just signed on for 4 years (at $35k/yr) which will get me to retirement before my USSERA protections run out.  Win for me because I'm getting an extra $140k to do what I was willing to do for free, and win for the AF because they have me by the nuts for 4 years.

Be advised:

AFRC is releasing new policy on the VLPAD and is getting very restrictive in regards to who is eligible or not.

Was told that the only positions that will be released are those going to Command, Joint Staff or ROTC.

Stand by for more information from AFRC.

12 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Confirm that VLPAD eligibility itself isnt changing as far as who AFPC is accepting, just who AFRC is willing to release to VLPAD is changing?

Yes

Was told that AFRC released too many pilots back to AD and now AFRC is having pilot manning issues.  Therefore, don’t expect to be released to an AD flying billet.  

AFRC didn’t release a fully qual’d F-35 Traditional Reservist who applied to go back on AD to fly F-35s!

AFRC sees their manning issues as being on the same level as AD (even though most are getting out and going from AD to AFRC and not the other way around). 

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Does anybody know what's going on with the VLPAD program? All I've heard is AFPC saying it's currently paused.

Second hand info.  Accepting apps but it's on hold indefinitely with no estimate on when it'll be back up and running.  Sounds like even the dudes on the fighter porch aren't receiving much data on when it will be going again.  Also, turns out AFRC didn't like their pilots being taken.  

I had a VLPAD app that was routed and approved through NGB and had a job lined up for my desired active duty assignment. All the stars were aligned but at the 11th hour I was told the program was not approving apps even for guard guys. This was as of September ish. FYSA 

Edited by SPAWNmaster

53 minutes ago, SPAWNmaster said:

I had a VLPAD app that was routed and approved through NGB and had a job lined up for my desired active duty assignment. All the stars were aligned but at the 11th hour I was told the program was not approving apps even for guard guys. This was as of September ish. FYSA 

Same exact situation I'm in. Sept is also when I heard that the program is paused.

For what it's worth, I've been told they aren't working the apps because AF/A1 is reviewing retention amd accessions programs and the people in that office at AFPC are expecting it to start back up, just unknown when.

Did we magically solve this pilot problem and I've just been living under a rock? I'm getting ready to just give up on the program and move on to other opportunities.

44 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Did we magically solve this pilot problem and I've just been living under a rock? 

Absolutely we did. 

I cannot fathom what they would be reviewing to not take volunteers.  Maybe it’s like when you’re drunk at the roulette table, and you’re thinking to yourself, “it can’t POSSIBLY be red for the 18th time in a row.”

• Upvote 1

What I imagine is happening, though it's just a guess, is that the VLPAD program as a whole is being reviewed, because other AFSCs that were included might have met their goals or other AFSCs may need to be added. So they stopped the whole damn thing until they can figure it out. Meanwhile, you have guard dudes willing to go, literally a win/win, and the AF is fucking it up.

Again, other options out there and obviously the air force cant get their shit together, so they'll miss out on recruiting the talent.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Upvote 1

Warning to anyone considering VLPAD - be prepared for the AF to screw it up. I did a VLPAD tour July 2016-Sept 2019. Accessing to active duty was easy enough, but the AF has no idea how to offboard Reservists back to the Reserves. First, you'll have to find your own unit after you're done w/ VLPAD. This wasn't a huge deal for me, as a I had an informal "drug deal" with my prior unit …but still, it would be nice to have return rights. Your career will be managed by AFPC during that time, and they have zero idea how to manage Reservists. For example, they screwed up my separation orders, and I didn't get actual separation orders until 2 days before my final out. Then, instead of flowing me to the IRR, while I awaited the 1288 to be processed for my new unit, AFPC completely discharged me from the military....which took 6 weeks to un. I could go on with examples of this. Another thing to consider is promotions - I met a ROPMA mandatory board a year late, and I didn't pin on major until I was a 7 year captain.

My $.02 - if you can get an AGR gig, take that. If your unit has an endless stream of man days, take those over VLPAD. VLPAD is a giant cluster

On 12/30/2019 at 10:21 PM, Kenny Powers said:

What I imagine is happening, though it's just a guess, is that the VLPAD program as a whole is being reviewed, because other AFSCs that were included might have met their goals or other AFSCs may need to be added. So they stopped the whole damn thing until they can figure it out. Meanwhile, you have guard dudes willing to go, literally a win/win, and the AF is ing it up.

Again, other options out there and obviously the air force cant get their shit together, so they'll miss out on recruiting the talent.

Yes, the entire program is under review.  As a current VLPAD/ROTC Det CC, we were told that there are a combination of things going on that caused the pause in the program.  First, the AFRC is not meeting total end strength numbers so they wanted a pause of all the VLPAD accessions to take a look at this and ensure they can continue to meet mission reqs.  Second, the AD is already at their authorized end strength number for FY20 (as of Oct) so taking on new VLPADs only makes sense for basically the most critical fill positions.  As of today (Jan 1st), I think ROTC was able to get at least one new VLPAD tour approved since the pause went into effect so I believe it is a very case by case approval process.  If you have applied for the program but are waiting to hear on it, IMO, I wouldn't hold your breath/make any firm plans/etc....unless you know your position is a very critical fill and the POC has advised you they are sending up a waiver to the HAF (no guesses by me on what is critical and what isn't in the eyes of the AF).   As far as ROTC goes, the ROTC Leadership is telling us the VLPAD program is in a sunset mode so the openings will be few and far between going forward.  They plan to get down to about 10% of the total postions filled by VLPADs.  The AD has a new process of filling the ROTC positions and after the first round this year it seemed to provide a lot more qualified candidates and fills than in years past.    I'll try to repost anything I hear out of ROTC on this going forward. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2019 at 8:27 AM, Ghost of James Post said:

Warning to anyone considering VLPAD - be prepared for the AF to screw it up. I did a VLPAD tour July 2016-Sept 2019. Accessing to active duty was easy enough, but the AF has no idea how to offboard Reservists back to the Reserves. First, you'll have to find your own unit after you're done w/ VLPAD. This wasn't a huge deal for me, as a I had an informal "drug deal" with my prior unit …but still, it would be nice to have return rights. Your career will be managed by AFPC during that time, and they have zero idea how to manage Reservists. For example, they screwed up my separation orders, and I didn't get actual separation orders until 2 days before my final out. Then, instead of flowing me to the IRR, while I awaited the 1288 to be processed for my new unit, AFPC completely discharged me from the military....which took 6 weeks to un. I could go on with examples of this. Another thing to consider is promotions - I met a ROPMA mandatory board a year late, and I didn't pin on major until I was a 7 year captain.

My $.02 - if you can get an AGR gig, take that. If your unit has an endless stream of man days, take those over VLPAD. VLPAD is a giant cluster

Concur on all.  Do not expect to get promoted early while on a VLPAD tour as the AD doesn't have any "vacancy promotion" process and you'll likely be placed in a position that is at your current rank anyway.  Get a "drug deal" for getting rehired with your prior unit if at all possible!  I'm six months out from the end of my VLPAD tour and so far so good on rejoining one of my prior ANG units.  So far, my AD ISR (in-service recruiter) has been great and the 1288 is in process.  Results vary with the ISRs though so I've heard others have been less than helpful.  Absolutely do not do a VLPAD tour if you aren't willing to suffer through some of the admin struggles/irritations/etc.  It should be a very smooth process but it can definitely be a challenge if you don't get good support along the way.  For me, my big wins were to get a command tour (ROTC Det CC) and 3x365 points toward an AD retirement (still about 4 years away but I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel) so I'll take the good along with the ugly.