VLPAD

Guardian

The Air Force voluntary limited period of active-duty program just added 51 career field specialties. This gives certain reserving garden Armin the chance to serve on active duty for three years and one day while receiving active-duty benefits in order to meet Air Force mission requirements. Check myPERs for info.

Just got this email.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Good first step. 

The cynical part or me predicts that this is just a required step on the inevitable path to stop loss. Now they can say they tried "everything" before using the nuclear option. 

But still, good opportunity for some. It should come with a bonus though, otherwise these guys are working for less pay than people they are equivalent rank with in their AD squadrons. 

Nope, just means they aren't going to target you for the rando MC-12 or useless staff in the Middle East, great deal actually.  Makes the deal more palatable for people raising their hands, I guarantee some 2 below clueless CC will still try to offer up these people for some bad deal we haven't thought of though.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Nope, just means they aren't going to target you for the rando MC-12 or useless staff in the Middle East, great deal actually.  Makes the deal more palatable for people raising their hands, I guarantee some 2 below clueless CC will still try to offer up these people for some bad deal we haven't thought of though.

Maybe even AFPAK Hands.

• Upvote 2

The last time they did this, it seemed to go pretty well for the Lt Col we hired back to AD. He had done a good deal of time in the ANG before he came back to AD and ended up getting his 20 year retirement with fairly little pain. Not to say that this time it wouldn't be different.

41 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

And I saw 1 go straight to a non flying 365.

One of the return to active duty pilots?  Was he a volunteer?  I knew a voluntary return pilot, a passed over major that came back as soon as the program was offered several years ago.  He flew in our squadron and worked an ACC  flying staff billet.  This was during the height of the random deployment frenzy to Iraq and AFG but his contract did not allow involuntary deployments so he never deployed.  Oh, and he got promoted to Lt Col and got his 20 year AD retirement.  Worked out well for him.

A - "crippling" pilot stortage

B - VPLAD

Y - stop loss

Z - profit  

break the chain!

Read up on the details ... likely not  USERRA protected (kiss that line number goodbye) and no guarantee to return to your guard unit.  There are probably several other unsavory factors, but that's just what the porch is acknowledging, and they don't even run the program  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, herkbum said:

I thought the message said you couldn't get promoted if you returned.  Is that specific to this message?

MyPers says that VLPADers will still compete for promotions on the Reserve Active Status List rather than the Active Duty List. You can't try to PV though, only mandatory boards.

I applied to VLPAD.  I was selected....for a command no less.  Then AFRC denied my release.  I am an 11F, AGR, already locked up an AGR retirement and have no ADSC or GI Bill or any type of debt to AFRC. Unbelievable.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Termy said:

I applied to VLPAD.  I was selected....for a command no less.  Then AFRC denied my release.  I am an 11F, AGR, already locked up an AGR retirement and have no ADSC or GI Bill or any type of debt to AFRC. Unbelievable.

Ha. It makes me think the whole thing is just for show, to make the stop-loss more palatable down the road.

13 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Read up on the details ... likely not  USERRA protected  

How is it not USERRA protected if you are  in an active duty position?  Some sort of GS thing?

Edited by HuggyU2

I took it to be about the clause in there that says you don't have a right of return to your ARC job. Meaning that if you take this, you have to go see an in-service recruiter and re-apply at the Guard/Reserve unit you left rather than just sliding back into your old position sts.

My take is this seems half-assed if they actually wanted to get fish on the line. If you're in the IRR, could be a good deal to expedite your way back in. But for dudes sitting on even a DSG/TR ARC position, this doesn't make a ton of sense unless you want to jump on one of the special programs. Why give up a long-term deal (ARC membership in a unit you chose) for a short-term deal (3 years on AD) with no guarantees beyond that?

Are they going to let you pick your base? Why no $$ thrown in? Why not guarantee right of return to your ARC unit?

Are dudes in the selected reserve really having a hard enough time finding Title 10 orders that this would be a good deal? 

Kind of smells like a half-hearted box checking step before more drastic measures are put in place to help arrest the unintentional stall in pilot manning...

Edited by nsplayr

I took it to be about the clause in there that says you don't have a right of return to your ARC job. Meaning that if you take this, you have to go see an in-service recruiter and re-apply at the Guard/Reserve unit you left rather than just sliding back into your old position sts.
My take is this seems half-assed if they actually wanted to get fish on the line. If you're in the IRR, could be a good deal to expedite your way back in. But for dudes sitting on even a DSG/TR ARC position, this doesn't make a ton of sense unless you want to jump on one of the special programs. Why give up a long-term deal (ARC membership in a unit you chose) for a short-term deal (3 years on AD) with no guarantees beyond that?
Are they going to let you pick your base? Why no $$ thrown in? Why not guarantee right of return to your ARC unit?
Are dudes in the selected reserve really having a hard enough time finding Title 10 orders that this would be a good deal? 
Kind of smells like a half-hearted box checking step before more drastic measures are put in place to help arrest the unintentional stall in pilot manning...

Believe it or not, there are lots of VLPAD apps being processed.