VLPAD

Guardian

On 12/7/2017 at 9:45 AM, drewpey said:

Not this one.  8-4 days, long-range work...no constantly putting out fires.  It's a good deal in terms of family life otherwise I wouldn't be posting it here.  For career progression and filling an OPR it can be challenging, hence the reaching out to other Nellis units to help out part time.

561 JTS?

• 6 months later...

Anyone done this lately? I read up a bit on it today, seemed like I had to have all the paperwork done just to submit the application, i.e. having my CC sign off on releasing me if I got accepted. Not sure I want to jump through those hoops until I'm actually offered a position I would accept.

Also, time line? I saw someone post that they were back on AD in a few months after applying. I'm probably not ready to go back for another 6-9 months, if the right job or location was offered.

Edited by Kenny Powers

I applied twice (once for a sq/cc job I was competitively selected for) and was denied release by the Afrc/cv. 11F

When they denied me the second time, I dropped retirement paperwork that day. So they lost yet another 11F....in this case one who was actually willing to continue serving. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Termy said:

I applied twice (once for a sq/cc job I was competitively selected for) and was denied release by the Afrc/cv. 11F

When they denied me the second time, I dropped retirement paperwork that day. So they lost yet another 11F....in this case one who was actually willing to continue serving. 

Un. Fucking. Believable!  Although, I'm not sure why this surprises me.  What a fucking dumpster fire!  Did you send AFRC/CV an e-mail saying thanks for making your retirement decision easy?  

Best of luck in the next chapter.

Edited by SocialD

6 hours ago, Termy said:

How did you know what jobs you were applying for? Or did you just put a list of jobs you wanted and locations?

I haven't actually looked at the application yet, just read through the details online.

The first time I applied for the afrotc det/cc board and was selected. I thought Afrc would be thrilled for the representation not to mention everyone had told me for years to do awc, get a masters, deploy and command. (I’ve done all but command) 

Second time  I applied for a rated staff job I knew had vacancies. 

If you know what you want, tell them. If you want to see what’s available apply and afpc will give you a call. The whole process takes an incredible four months. Amazingly, the process goes through Afpc for all the staff work before Afrc decides if they are going to release you. It was pretty embarrassing to have some great people at Randolph spend a lot of hours staffing all of this only to have Afrc say no. Twice. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Termy,  

What a short-sighted decision on AFRC's part!  They could have had the best recruiting officer for free.  And, it hurts the AD as they can't get enough rated bubbas in those seats at a time they are plussing up rated accessions.  You think a non-rated commander knows exactly what to say to a ROTC cadet to encourage them to go rated?   

In a weird, alternative universe kind of way, it appears to be easier to go VLPAD as a Guard bubba.  I'm currently a ROTC Det CC on a VLPAD tour.  We get our "release" up front when the TAG (The Adjutant General of our state) approves the letter that is required on our application for the program.  So, once AFPC approves, we are a go. Sorry to rub it in, but just pointing this out for any other Guard bubbas who see this thread later.  Anyone interested in the process can PM me. 

No complaints from me on the VLPAD program.  Results may vary depending on the assignment though! 

Cheers, Wes    

Already posted in this thread earlier.  Yes, transition from Guard to VLPAD was pretty easy looking back.  Currently back flying a platform I flew AD 10 years ago.  Weird that Reserve guys are having issues since technically those of us on VLPAD are Reserve officers on EAD.

Good news for me in regards to VLPAD is I crossed the 20 year AD days point this past Tuesday.  Paycheck of month club is now guaranteed.  Of course I owe much credit to my former Guard unit as I was able to obtain over 3 years AD time over the last 5 years.  This after being kicked out of AD in 2011 as an O-4 with almost 16 years.  The next 2 years of my EAD tour plus my my IDT time in the Guard are 7.5% gravy at max 0-5 pay.

Bad news is I’m currently on a 2 day notice, non-vol 30-60 day TDY.  Yes, VLPAD info says no deployments unless you volunteer but a SIB isn’t considered a deployment.  So if you have any safety stink on you beware.

• 2 months later...

I remember seeing something posted a while back stating that Pilots that go VLPAD could be eligible for the bonus, but I have not been able to find anything about it.  Anyone smart on that?  For example, a Guard bubba that wants to do VLPAD .  He is released from the Guard and isn't under any kind of contract with AD until he accepts the VLPAD offer.  Does he get the bonus?

I am also curious about consecutive tours.  My assumptions is that, after your 3 year ADSC is up, you could just do another one.  So, only accept a job living where you want to live and then every 3 years sign another 3 year deal.  As long as the airlines are hiring like they are, the AF is going to have an experience problem, so I can't imagine them telling an IP who wants to sign up for another 3 years and stay at the same base no, but the AF has proven to do dumber things in the past.

Anyone know of any verbiage stating you couldn't do consecutive tours?

Edited by Kenny Powers

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, MT near said:

Ever get any news on the bonus or consecutive vlpad tours?

1.5 years into my VLPAD tour and qualified and received the FY19 CSO AvB payment last month.  An extra $30k for doing what I was going to do anyway.

Haven't asked about extending this tour as I think being 50 with 24.5 years I'll be ready for something else when my tour is up Aug 2020.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, MT near said:

What about a non flying vlpad tour? Anyone have luck getting the bonus doing that?

Yes, I did.  I'm currently on an AFROTC Det CC tour so 100% non-flying.  I got in under the FY18 expanded bonus program and got 2 years of the bonus to the end of my VLPAD tour (ends July 2020).  Several others in AFROTC got it as well.     The consecutive VLPAD tour option seems to be in flux depending on which way the wind is blowing.  I've heard some have pulled it off.  Currently, I'm hearing that there is policy at HAF that consecutive VLPAD tours are a no go.  I may try for one anyway.  I figure if the position is critical enough and they have no schlitz on AD to fill it then they might be willing to break with the policy if it still exists at that time. 

On 3/5/2019 at 8:12 AM, Tank said:

How long after applying for the VLPAD are you notified of an approved or disapproved or is that on a case by case basis?

Case by case I assume.  In my case, for a ROTC Det CC position, it took about 9 months from app submittal to orders starting (notification that I was approved was about 2 months prior to the orders starting).   I would assume some other tours such as just going back to being a line flyer in a squadron would be much shorter.  

Edited by VigilanteNav
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Applied for the VLPAD and am still waiting on word about one of my choices and I greatly appreciate how upfront and honest the Porch is but this is what I’ve been told presently.

Was told that I’m not eligible for any fighters because I’ve been out of fighters for greater than 7 years and there are no FTU TX slots available.  Also told I’m ineligible for some of my white jet choices because no PIT slots are available.

It’s unfortunate that certain exceptions can’t be made for experienced, but unqualified, pilots (11F, 11M, 11S, etc.) trying to come back on AD because I can’t be the only person this is affecting.  

Edited by Tank

If selected for VLPAD and released from the ANG, does that mean my UPT service commitment is complete? I have a few years left but, if I remember correctly, I signed a commitment to the ANG.  If they released me, my new commitment would be the ADSC that comes along with the VLPAD assignment obviously. What I am wondering is, do I all of the sudden become eligible for the bonus when I accept the VLPAD tour?

Seems like it wouldn't work that way but it's worth a shot.

Edited by Kenny Powers

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

If selected for VLPAD and released from the ANG, does that mean my UPT service commitment is complete? I have a few years left but, if I remember correctly, I signed a commitment to the ANG.  If they released me, my new commitment would be the ADSC that comes along with the VLPAD assignment obviously. What I am wondering is, do I all of the sudden become eligible for the bonus when I accept the VLPAD tour?

Seems like it wouldn't work that way but it's worth a shot.

I doubt it, your UPT commitment is driven by 10 USC. Who knows though.

3 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

I doubt it, your UPT commitment is driven by 10 USC. Who knows though.

Yeah, I'm not smart on all that stuff but, from what I understand, the State paid for my pilot training and I recall signing paperwork stating my commitment to the ANG.

11 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yeah, I'm not smart on all that stuff but, from what I understand, the State paid for my pilot training and I recall signing paperwork stating my commitment to the ANG.

I honestly haven't looked into this but I believe it's actually NGB that pays for the training, as they are the ones who divvy out the UPT slots.  If you haven't already had to get TAG approval as part of the VLPAD application process, you'll likely have get their sign-off if accepted.  If they release you, you're good to go, but I'm guessing your ADSC will remain.   We've had guys leave for non-flying gigs in other state and they technically still have their commitment.  Then again, there have been guys leave the Guard before the ADSC is complete.

I don't really understand VLPAD, so excuse my ignorance.  Are you just rolling to AD for a single, specific assignment, or just planning on moving to the AD for the long term.  We've had opportunities pop up here and there for random (some decent) assignments, but we'd still return to our squadron.  It could have been part of this VLPAD, I'm not sure.  I just wouldn't want to completely put myself at the whim of the AD, they've clearly proven they can't be trusted.  Anyway, best of luck!