VLPAD

Guardian

3 minutes ago, Herk Driver said:

Believe it or not, there are lots of VLPAD apps being processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Hey, good on em I guess. Glad more guys want to serve once again and I hope they don't get screwed.

I guess I'm just not regretting my move to the ARC one bit and based on the opportunities there I would vector anyone who asked my opinion into open ARC positions before considering a return to AD.

9 hours ago, Jaded said:

Ha. It makes me think the whole thing is just for show, to make the stop-loss more palatable down the road.

What was amusing to me about this was I was I heard virtually the exact same comment from buddies at Alaska, United, SWA, AA, and Delta:

"Dude, why did you even apply for that?!  You can already retire! Get your app in and get over here.  It's great!"

6 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

How is it not USERRA protected if you are  in an active duty position?  Some sort of GS thing?

Maybe my terminology is off. 

But as in it's not a mobilization or temporary thing. It's full time active duty. So you won't keep your foot in the door at an airline. 

3 minutes ago, HossHarris said:

Maybe my terminology is off. 

But as in it's not a mobilization or temporary thing. It's full time active duty. So you won't keep your foot in the door at an airline. 

Can't you take MIL LEAVE for a few years to do this gig?  I thought this was how some Guard folks came back to get an active retirement?

This isn't an AGR "mobilization". This is volunteering to go back to active duty. I would definitely find out (in writing) from both the usaf and your airline employer if you'll still have a seniority number on the back side of it. 

Just now, HossHarris said:

This isn't an AGR "mobilization". This is volunteering to go back to active duty. I would definitely find out (in writing) from both the usaf and your airline employer if you'll still have a seniority number on the back side of it. 

Understood and I confess I don't know all the ins and outs of Guard service and the Airline rules.  I brought it up from past experience seeing folks come back on active duty for a few years to get a full time retirement.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Understood and I confess I don't know all the ins and outs of Guard service and the Airline rules.  I brought it up from past experience seeing folks come back on active duty for a few years to get a full time retirement.  

Yup. And I don't know that it's been definitively answered one way or another for vplad. But I'd be damn sure before I risked 3 years of seniority or more. 

I'm pretty sure the two I knew of ~7 years ago were furloughed from their companies.

We had several return to active duty Lt Cols in my old squadron. They all kept their line numbers. I was just a dumb Lt at the time, so I have no idea what program they returned under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had several LtCols come back who were able to get an AD retirement and keep their line numbers. One Maj came back from a job at a regional, betting he didn't give a sh!t about his line number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USERRA is blind to the reason you return to active duty. It doesn't matter. 

You will keep rights at your civilian job, to include your airline line number.... as long as you do not exceed the USERRA 5-year rule (though some airlines like United will give you more than that). 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, herkbum said:

Any idea if there is a list of positions available?  If so, where?  Would likely be a good resource for someone seriously thinking about taking the leap of faith.

myPERS listed specific special programs and the requirements for each.

There was also a general "rated officer" listing without details as to what unit you'd be assigned to, line flying vs schoolhouse vs test etc., i.e. lots of key details missing.

I'm assuming functionals or someone st AFPC would have more info, but then again that's counting on A1 doing a good job, which the lack of that is why we're here in the first place...

• 2 weeks later...

Block 17 of the application reads: "IF I AM SELECTED FOR EAD IN A NON-FLYING CAPACITY, I HEREBY VOLUNTARILY REQUEST PERMANENT SUSPENSION FROM FLYING STATUS" (check yes or no)

A few questions for the thread:

Will one be considered for non-flying positions if they were to check no?

What's the process (painfulness) of getting back on status if one were to re-apply to a flying ARC billet?

Most importantly, will it affect flight pay? What if the aviator has met the necessary gate months to continue flight pay?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Applied 1 Jun requesting 12R position at Offutt, got VLPAD offer on 11 Jul, and after clearing up some issues with my TAG endorsement finally got orders today to start AD on 21 Aug.  Anyone else care to admit they're going or attempting to go back in?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I applied and was accepted and then denied release by afrc. (11f). I know of at least one other that was denied. I'd also like to hear from folks who VLPADed. (Now it's a verb!)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in a VLPAD opportunity in Las Vegas I know a unit with several open billets.  Fighters, bombers, RPA, C-17, 12R, Space, Info Ops, etc.  Patches preferred, but not required.  Desk jobs with opportunity to fly, choose-your-own-adventure TDY schedule, and possibility to get your hands into your typical Nellis work (aggressors, WEPTAC, RF, USAFWS instruction, etc.).  Hit me up for details.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:35 PM, drewpey said:

If anyone is interested in a VLPAD opportunity in Las Vegas I know a unit with several open billets.  Fighters, bombers, RPA, C-17, 12R, Space, Info Ops, etc.  Patches preferred, but not required.  Desk jobs with opportunity to fly, choose-your-own-adventure TDY schedule, and possibility to get your hands into your typical Nellis work (aggressors, WEPTAC, RF, USAFWS instruction, etc.).  Hit me up for details.

Aren’t Nellis jobs usually 16 hours of work shoved into a 12 hour day?  Yuck.

9 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Aren’t Nellis jobs usually 16 hours of work shoved into a 12 hour day?  Yuck.

Not this one.  8-4 days, long-range work...no constantly putting out fires.  It's a good deal in terms of family life otherwise I wouldn't be posting it here.  For career progression and filling an OPR it can be challenging, hence the reaching out to other Nellis units to help out part time.