AFPAK Hands- Opportunity Beckons

11 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

You would think so. One day in 2014, around the middle of my FAIP tour, I logged into my email and had some email from someone in Djibouti congratulating me on my assignment and offering to help answer any questions I had. I had no clue what was going on. I figured the email was a mistake.

I asked my Sq/CC about it, and he hadn't heard a thing.  He did some digging. Turns out the base IDRC found out about my 179 a month earlier and forgot to tell me or my leadership about it. I found out via email from someone I didn't know, a month late. I had to rush to get all the training done to go, which took more time from my family.

My local leadership had no role in assigning me the deployment.  Hell, they didn't even get notified, since the shoe clerks in the IDRC screwed up.  It came from AFPC, since I met their magical formula for the gig.

Currently in AETC the Wing Commander ultimately decides who gets non-vol'd on a 6-mos deployment.  Before then, rated guys at AETC staff were doing this as an additional duty.  Just an example where a 'personnelist' is not making those calls...

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, ColoradoAviator said:

This is good.

But the damage has been done. It’s too little, too late. Again.

Every bro that got that robot email will remember this “opportunity” when it’s time to stay or go for years to come...

Honest question, does anyone truly believe or trust what the Air Force says anymore? How soon before AFPAK hands becomes filled by non-vols? I’m guessing the next assignment cycle.

• Upvote 1

I selected the topic and front/center was the 2nd quote, so I added the OPs 1st post on top, you know, for chronology.  Irony? Foreshadowing? Bad Karma? 

Out

On 4/14/2017 at 6:41 PM, General Chang said:

For those on AD, I take it you saw the AFPAK Hands solicitation we sent out today.  I hope you give strong consideration to volunteering.  We are ramping that program back to full capacity, and A1 will facilitate.  ISIS is altering the battlefield and we must have many, many more air power experts on the ground with long-term continuity, earning the trust and respect of the tribal leaders, especially in the remote mountainous regions of both countries.  Many amazing carrots to participating: attend NIU for IDE, work at the Pentagon with some of our greatest minds of our time, free language training, and likely early promotions to both Lt Col & Col.  Finally, a real shot at General Officer down the line.  Truly, we will see many of our future Sq/CCs come out of this program, because they will be the most relevant/qualified in the current state of affairs.  This is a big, big deal; don't miss your opportunity.

If you really don't want to participate in this program, please encourage your friends who are on the fence.  We have a very small volunteer window and many slots to fill; it will not be long before Wing Commanders will be racking their senior Capts, Maj(s), and Majors (esp post bonus) for these opportunities.  Even the non-volunteers will see some of the carrots (because of the importance of this program, we will target the highest performers in the Squadrons; this program will accelerate even their careers and give them new perspectives on leadership).

No doubt this thread will get bashed and trashed, but it will reach its intended audience anyway.  Honestly, there is no truer way to "take your career by the horns" than volunteering for AFPAK Hands.  The last 3 CSAFs put their money where their mouths were regarding incentives.  If you joined the AF to make a difference for your country, then volunteer for this program.  I truly thank you.

On 4/24/2017 at 8:04 AM, General Chang said:

This program embodies everything wrong with the Air Force.

Edited by disgruntledemployee
remove white space

5 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

likely early promotions to both Lt Col & Col.  Finally, a real shot at General Officer down the line.  Truly, we will see many of our future Sq/CCs come out of this program, because they will be the most relevant/qualified in the current state of affairs.  This is a big, big deal; don't miss your opportunity.

1) Fuck Chang

2) Any proof to these bullshit claims for promotion?

Read the SECAF MOI to the promotion board on MyPers...

Being an AFPAK hand doesn't mean automatic BPZ promotion, maybe, supposedly, just kinda it means take it into consideration.

I understand the dislike for AFPAK Hands, but I don't get the saltiness towards the AF on this one. It's a DOD problem, and they don't have any good solutions so this is being forced on all of the services. Really, it's a national problem related to the attempt to federalize a tribal society. If you want to be salty, be salty about that.

Its a shame, if this could have been reworked to at least be tolerable. I would have actually liked to have done something like this, but not at the cost of 2 years away from my family. If they could have found away to reduce that commitment right there, then I may have actually considered something like this. That and from what I've heard, the actual role of the Hands got diminished by overly cautious commanders who had no idea how to utilize them appropriately. 

7 hours ago, frog said:

I understand the dislike for AFPAK Hands, but I don't get the saltiness towards the AF on this one. It's a DOD problem, and they don't have any good solutions so this is being forced on all of the services. Really, it's a national problem related to the attempt to federalize a tribal society. If you want to be salty, be salty about that.

I'll be salty about whatever I damn well please.

5 hours ago, Chuck17 said:

I mean it worked out great for the now-fired, under-investigation, yet-to-be-convicted petter-ass former Wing Commander at Scott... Should be a definite indicator to BTZ material. #sarcasm!

Chuck

Pederast 

• Like 1