What should the Air Force be if it is so broken now?

On 4/23/2017 at 0:01 AM, WAG said:

Maybe a bit too big picture (and probably mentioned already) but perhaps DoD should consider consolidating and centralizing common support functions throughout the enterprise (Finance, Public Affairs, Contracting, JAG/OSI/NCIS, Chaplain, Medical...maybe I'm off base with some of these but you get it).  Make these similarly-themed support agencies leaner and harness the remaining manpower to assist operational agencies in each branch where there are shortfalls.  

JTFR, UCMJ, Medicine/Dentists, Journalists..honestly, how much of that stuff needs to be branch specific?  And if it is...why?  And God knows how many civilians/contractors come with those pieces for each service.

Hell, why do our aspiring officer candidates need to go through 5 different applications, congressional interviews, and selection processes for each service academy? Everything about the government seems so damn bloated and superflous!  

I'm sure its been said before but stuff like this could help not only our Air Force, but our overall national defense and spending.

If I understand your point, you want everyone in the MSG and MDG-like jobs across the DOD to wear the same (or no) uniform?

That might save on some overhead positions, but at the expense of understanding the services' individual cultures (Logistics is drastically different between the Navy and Army/Air Force).  At the end of the day, many of your support functions' manning is tied to a factor, such as end strength, ship size, number of buildings, etc.  Unless you reduce the requirement, you can't (or shouldn't) reduce the number of providers.

4 hours ago, General Chang said:

Are you kidding me Brick?  The only chance we have in this forsaken state of affairs is to put Operators in key positions of influence throughout the "1" community.  All levels, Lt Col through Lt Gen.  I know many rated Cols, 1* & 2* who would enact real change through radical personnel policy changes, given the chance.

Once rated officers take back these key positions of influence on staffs, particularly in the "1," we may have a fighting chance.

The thought that pilots in key staff positions is a waste of training and money is extremely short-sighted.  

We promote way too many non-rated officers to O-6 and above as it is.

I'm very confused...what is happening here?

Edited by RTB

13 minutes ago, dream big said:

So now the question is: Is Liquid a troll or is he real? Is Liquid Chang? Is Chang Liquid? I'm so confused. 

I think he is an actual GO. He may have been dox'd himself, which is probably why he stopped participating.

Edited by LookieRookie

58 minutes ago, dream big said:

So now the question is: Is Liquid a troll or is he real? Is Liquid Chang? Is Chang Liquid? I'm so confused. 

Liquids posts didn't read anything remotely like Chang's.

Not even close.

"Gina" might disagree with your new perspective.

Are you seriously proposing taking current, healthy rated officers and moving them into mid-level captain and junior FGO support mission positions?

Since you and yours have done so well in keeping a lid on the rated manning levels such that we are in the state we are today, how will you solve the drain/acquisition of non-rated officers who see, under your scheme, that they have NO incentive to work harder or smarter in their selected fields since only rated will be chosen for the O-6 and above ranks.  Mighty disheartening for any bright shiny Lts who want to serve their country. And never mind about the specialized training that both the rated officer needs for his/her performance, but also that of the support fields? 

You can't fill your beloved programs that you claim need "the best rated" to fill those turd slots.  How are you going to get the manning to fill the non-rated support jobs that comprise the majority of the Air Force using rated officers?

To recap, you want to put aviators into your beloved A1 personnel cubicles.  How much to train the rated guy?  What is one of the primary reasons for rated guys to be bolting at unsustainable rates currently and you want to increase the non-flying demands placed on them?

How about supporting a culture where results regarding the primary mission matter?  If you fly, you fly.  If you are support, you support the flyers.  And those that can't/won't hack the mission, regardless of the role, are culled from the herd.  Those that do, are suitably rewarded/promoted.  Instead, you and your ilk have created the current "everyone is special" climate.  Again, I ask:  if at Base X, the Wing Commander is a flyer and his/her MPF sucks and takes 1/2 days off, who is at fault?

Ok, lil' Kim.  Where are your troops and bases?  All of them belong to us now...

3 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Are you seriously proposing taking current, healthy rated officers and moving them into mid-level captain and junior FGO support mission positions?

Since you and yours have done so well in keeping a lid on the rated manning levels such that we are in the state we are today, how will you solve the drain/acquisition of non-rated officers who see, under your scheme, that they have NO incentive to work harder or smarter in their selected fields since only rated will be chosen for the O-6 and above ranks.  Mighty disheartening for any bright shiny Lts who want to serve their country. And never mind about the specialized training that both the rated officer needs for his/her performance, but also that of the support fields? 

You can't fill your beloved programs that you claim need "the best rated" to fill those turd slots.  How are you going to get the manning to fill the non-rated support jobs that comprise the majority of the Air Force using rated officers?

To recap, you want to put aviators into your beloved A1 personnel cubicles.  How much to train the rated guy?  What is one of the primary reasons for rated guys to be bolting at unsustainable rates currently and you want to increase the non-flying demands placed on them?

How about supporting a culture where results regarding the primary mission matter?  If you fly, you fly.  If you are support, you support the flyers.  And those that can't/won't hack the mission, regardless of the role, are culled from the herd.  Those that do, are suitably rewarded/promoted.  Instead, you and your ilk have created the current "everyone is special" climate.  Again, I ask:  if at Base X, the Wing Commander is a flyer and his/her MPF sucks and takes 1/2 days off, who is at fault?

Ok, lil' Kim.  Where are your troops and bases?  All of them belong to us now...

But...but who is going to tell the Wing King that his MPF sucks, especially as a bag wearer? "There we go zipper suited sun gods being mean to the ABU wearers again.  Everyone wears ABUs when not actively flying and mandatory Friday fun runs to build morale"...there's 95% historical precedence for that..

• Upvote 1

On April 25, 2017 at 8:56 AM, brickhistory said:

I will quote myself, since I actually typed something useful for the first time ever on this forum (as General Chang): "Key positions of influence" "All levels, Lt Col through Lt Gen" 

Never said, "Only rated officers," or anything about "Captain and junior FGO support mission positions."  Never said "Only promote rated officers to O-6."

Yes, we have a pilot shortage.  Yes, the bonus take rate is atrocious (because the bonus is slap-yo-mamma, spit-in-your-face pathetic.  $60K/1-9 years, pilot's choice on duration AND re-signable until the day you leave or retire?  Umm, that's a way to BEGIN the conversation involving more important topics than money).  Yes, pilots that did stick around are bailing at year 20 instead of competing for Colonel at year 21.  Yes, morale sucks and there's no short-term solution on the horizon.  Got it.  HOWEVER, if AF rated officers don't truly start taking control of the "1s" and pronto, there won't be much left to save.

I agree with your last major paragraph above.  Only way to work toward that is to start where I suggested: Ops retakes personnel policy in the Air Force.

And one last thing...don't ever imply that I'm a personnelist.  Makes my skin crawl.  Can't take it anymore.  GC

Edited by General Chang
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Ok, which of Chang's multiple personalities are we talking to today??

4 hours ago, General Chang said:

Yes, we have a pilot shortage.  Yes, the bonus take rate is atrocious (because the bonus is slap-yo-mamma, spit-in-your-face pathetic)....Yes, morale sucks and there's no short-term solution on the horizon.

Compared to

On 12/19/2016 at 9:51 AM, General Chang said:

Definitely a sweet pot of money on that rainbow: $35K/yr for 9 years!  I am pleased that the issue of "raising the bonus" finally worked out.  We had a lot of personnelists spend many hours to make sure our pilots are paid the correct amount via the bonus.  Very exciting that it finally happened.  Pilots, wherever you are at, please thank a personnelist.  That small gesture will make a world of difference.

And

On 5/14/2016 at 11:08 PM, General Chang said:

Guys, this is easy from the AF perspective...if we start having a significant long-term problem with retention, we'll stop-loss in the near term and move to 15-yr commitments long term.  Take it to the bank.  And before you pilots start whining on this forum, you knew this would be a possibility when you signed on the bottom line.

The more of your friends that take the bonus, the longer we can put off S.L. and expanded commitments.

Just some of the greatest hits for posterity. ^

I hate to be the one to say it, but mods, WTF is with this guy? Why do we let this assclownery persist? He simply can't be for real.

Chang has stirred the pot vigorously so many times I've lost count, and it's pretty clear that he bumped his head and/or forgot to switch to his "other login" last Monday. He's gone from full left-boot A1 window-licker rah rah cheerleader kool-aid drinker to full-right boot "one of the guys" pilot bro in the snap of his fingers.

As someone who's posted a lot of stupid shit over the years, GC has jumped the shark for me and I'm ready for a roll call to end the bullshiite.

Chang, beers on me if you post your quals and ever wanna get together in person to discuss.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nsplayr said:

Ok, which of Chang's multiple personalities are we talking to today??

My best guess is GC's BO.net account was hacked . . . or, alternatively, said individual is schizo. If he was trolling, that was some pretty underhanded trollery.

TT

1 minute ago, TnkrToad said:

My best guess is GC's BO.net account was hacked . . . or, alternatively, said individual is schizo. If he was trolling, that was some pretty underhanded trollery.

TT

Didn't he pretty much admit he was trolling all along? In the Toxic Communities thread, he opened with "Ok guys, serious post for once (yeah, shut-up haters; you loved it the past couple of years)."

3 hours ago, mb1685 said:

Didn't he pretty much admit he was trolling all along? In the Toxic Communities thread, he opened with "Ok guys, serious post for once (yeah, shut-up haters; you loved it the past couple of years)."

2 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

How are people still confused? It was a great troll, but it became obvious a while ago. Overall I'd say 8.5/10

Not confused. I think the dude's an ass, but that's beside the point. GC did such a good job mimicking some of the rated "managers" I've talked to before that--if he's an operator--he must've spent a helluva lot of time around them. In his new personality, he rants about the need for operators to take control of A1--further suggesting familiarity with AF A1 . . . yet he recoils at the fact he's assumed to be a personnelist.

In the end, I'm with nsplayr--he needs to go with quals. It would be neat if he shared value-added data related to AF rated management, but I'm not holding my breath.

TT

Not confused. I think the dude's an ass, but that's beside the point. GC did such a good job mimicking some of the rated "managers" I've talked to before that--if he's an operator--he must've spent a helluva lot of time around them. In his new personality, he rants about the need for operators to take control of A1--further suggesting familiarity with AF A1 . . . yet he recoils at the fact he's assumed to be a personnelist.
In the end, I'm with nsplayr--he needs to go with quals. It would be neat if he shared value-added data related to AF rated management, but I'm not holding my breath.
TT

Ok, I get what your saying, but I don't think he has to have been near it to fake it.

Let's be real, the cartoonish disconnect from reality and blind fealty to a system that clearly has no rudder is so simple and pure it can almost be said to be perfect. All you have to do to mimick it is disregard reality and never admit defeat. GC was so effective in the troll because he never tried to engage with logic or actually respond to arguments posed against his propaganda. Sound familiar?

I for one applaud him. He played us, which is an internet staple, and catalyzed some great debate that I've used in my real-life interactions with the General Changs of the Air Force who aren't joking.

I do think he should state quals, but not AF quals, rather, I want to know what his other account name is. Put an internet face to the internet mask, so to speak.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ill play devils advocate i thought GC was a funny troll if you didn't take him seriously

Agreed.

His first post got under my skin sts but after a while I appreciated his caricature of true-blue AF leadership.

I am curious at what level he actually is... GO, WG/CC/CV or just a Major bored sitting on staff...

Edit: auto-curreckt

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

1 hour ago, Duck said:

Agreed.

His first post got under my skin sts but after a while I appreciated his caricature of true. Our AF leadership.

I am curious at what level he actually is... GO, WG/CC/CV or just a Major bored sitting on staff...

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Perhaps a troll.

Perhaps a Kool-Aid chugger par excellance until Big Blue decided he had gone far enough even though he swallowed with the best of 'em.

60 to zero in the results of one board does sting a bit, don't it?

I usually despise internet trolls. However, after some reflection, I applaud GC.  I think he was a constant reminder of the problem, and gave us all insight into the reality we face in our communities.  I think everyone has seen leadership spit out ridiculous policy and logic many times.  GC's diatribe was incredibly accurate and sadly believable.  

The thing about this forum and the internet is that it gives posters the feeling of anonymity so we can all vent our true feelings about the institutional problems of the AF.  Things we complain about to the bros in the sqdn, but at least somewhat sanitize for leadership.  Then we have this DB come in here and sound EXACTLY like some twisted combo of every commanders call/AFN commercial/SAPR brief/CBT/etc. we are all forced to endure. It gave us a chance to come down hard (sts) on that mentality.

I'm sure there are many leaders in the AF much like the caricature that GC created here.  The only hope this AF has is for enough bros jump on the grenade by doing all the BS it takes to gain influence, rank, and position in the AF without becoming a GC.  Then maybe things will change.  Not likely I know, because most of the good leaders are pulling chocks as early as they can.  The AF needs high ranking dudes who don't give two shits about their rank, and are willing to put their necks out there.

GC was a constant reminder on here of the toxic leaders the AF values.  I hope we can stand up to these types in our communities and save the AF. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Duck said:

My guess is an O-4 or O-5--probably an personnelist, but it's equally possible he's someone with an ops background who worked in HAF/A1 or other A1 staff. I'm inclined to go with brickhistory's theory--regardless of AFSC, something caused him to go from true believer to disgruntled malcontent.

No matter; he's about as credible in his current incarnation as he was in his last. Maybe we'll see a third personality next time he posts, assuming he bothers to re-engage any time in the near future . . .

• 3 weeks later...

So, this is a website they set up to take ideas on fixing the AF in line with CSAF's priorities to revitalize squadrons, etc.  It's not anonymous to submit an idea, but it is to vote.  Seems way better than the old Airmen Powered by Innovation garbage that was full of bureaucratic hurdles.

• 7 months later...

Watched a presentation Kane did on his book "Bleeding Talent" at the Hudson Institute on ideas for reform.  

Disband AFPC, eliminate A1 as a separate directorate, get rid of Up or Out, decentralize the assignment systems and distribute HR functions mostly to Wings/Groups/Squadrons, reform the retirement system (presentation is 2013), tie promotions to some assignments / billets, etc...  

Not a bad list, keep fighting the good fight

• Upvote 1