Just remembered "near syncope" incident, already in DEP

Alright I'm going insane here... My mom just sent me a file with my medical records and going through them, I found a doctors report from about 7 years ago that I had completely forgot about and made no mention of at MEPS. What happened: I was extremely dehydrated (nothing to drink for >12 hours), had not eaten anything for nearly 24 hours, and was laying in bed for around 8+ hours watching movies... My mom knocked on the door and I jumped up and got dizzy and fell over into a table and chairs. My mom made me go to the doctor just to make sure nothing was wrong. My doctor incorrectly labeled it a loss of consciousness (I remember hitting the table and chairs) and was "required" by law to report it to the DMV. To be cleared at the DMV, I went to a cardiologist and neurologist for tests/consults and they all said I was fine and it was due to the lack of water/food/etc and was "near syncope". While it was not a loss of consciousness, I do not feel like splitting hairs with MEPS/whoever else if this comes back to haunt me. I am going to be up front with my recruiter but am worried that I'll just immediately be dropped from DEP and any future with the military. Anyone hear of similar stories? Also, what is the waiver environment like for explainable/one-time events like this?

I'm still beating myself up that I didn't remember this but I was really only trying to think of any official conditions/diagnoses I had when filling out the paperwork, not one-off things. I'm in for a pilot slot too so this will kill me if it causes a DQ. I appreciate any advice/insight.

Also not a Doc, so YMMV.

I had no-shitter vasovagal syncope episodes 2x after passing out from vaccinations and a blood draw. Pro tip: don't standup too fast like a tough guy.

First time sustained no injuries as I was already sitting. Second time I broke my nose, chipped a tooth and bruised up my face pretty good since I fell from standing against a marble countertop and was carted to the ER in an ambulance. Both were pre-MEPS.

Sounds bad right?

I was upfront about everything and was clear that I had no issues other than when stuck by needles apparently, which oddly enough doesn't often happen in flight.

Long story short - I flew on AD as a CSO for 7+ years (didn't have the eyes nor the desire for pilot at the time), and now in the Guard I'm awaiting training to be an RPA pilot.

The original flight doc told me I might not commission and would definitely never fly...and here I am now, having held a FC1A for over a decade and having recently passed a very thorough initial FC1 at age 31. Showed his ass!

The lesson is don't take no for an answer, always follow up that you have no issues currently and are healthy & ready to go (so long as that's true), and keep fighting the good fight.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a doc and I'd say declare it & provide the records.

Not but a couple years ago the son of a family friend (recently retired Army pilot) forgot a similar event at school.  Mom took him to ER just to make sure he was okay.  He later got into BMT and was going to be a boom operator but at the FC III exam it was determined he had this event (military dependent thus AF had the records).  The civilian (retired AF flt doc) thought he was evasive when questioned about it and thus recommended a DQ without waiver for head injury and fraudulent enlistment.

Family called me and I gave the kid the benefit of doubt and called the decision authority.  Was no use as the decision authority who was a flight doc and former pilot felt strongly this was an integrity issue that had implications beyond head injury.  Basically ARMA unsat.  Kid was devastated when sent home and having completed essentially all of BMT short of graduating.  He probably was coded be AFPC to prevent any future attempts to enter service.