How early is too early?

Never to early to get the information you need to go forward. I'd start with answering the question "Which community do I want". So yes, go visit some fighter and heavy units, check out the aircraft, talk to the pilots. Alot of units will have open houses, or maybe an airshow hosted at their home field that they'll participate in, so go get smart on what you truly want, then you'll have a focused strategy going forward. 

As for contacting them, go through the recruiting office, let them know you are looking for visits and pilots to talk with. They may push the option of enlisting as well, that's completely up to you to entertain, but stay focused on what you want as the end goal and insist on visits to pursue the pilot option.

1 hour ago, Cameltactics said:

Never to early to get the information you need to go forward. I'd start with answering the question "Which community do I want". So yes, go visit some fighter and heavy units, check out the aircraft, talk to the pilots. Alot of units will have open houses, or maybe an airshow hosted at their home field that they'll participate in, so go get smart on what you truly want, then you'll have a focused strategy going forward. 

As for contacting them, go through the recruiting office, let them know you are looking for visits and pilots to talk with. They may push the option of enlisting as well, that's completely up to you to entertain, but stay focused on what you want as the end goal and insist on visits to pursue the pilot option.

I'm pretty sure I want to persue fighter squadrons. If I call up the recruiting office and get in touch with a pilot are there any good questions/things to say? I want to get my name out there, but I don't want the conversation to end with "we are holding boards in X month" when I can't apply yet. 

4 hours ago, mcmdad50 said:

Yes, I have my PPL with about 65 hours. 

Awesome, keep racking up the hours.  That will only help you in the application process through test scores as well as looking good on a resume.  Start working towards your instrument and commercial ratings as well.  The more ratings and hours you have, the better you will look on paper.

2 hours ago, mcmdad50 said:

I'm pretty sure I want to persue fighter squadrons. If I call up the recruiting office and get in touch with a pilot are there any good questions/things to say? I want to get my name out there, but I don't want the conversation to end with "we are holding boards in X month" when I can't apply yet. 

That will happen a lot, get used to it.  There is no direct line from the recruiting office and a pilots phone, the recruiter will probably just try to enlist you.  This board is a great way to start, watch the job announcements come out and when you start your senior year (just my WAG) start calling the numbers on the announcements of places you want to live, even if the announcement is old, they will be able to tell you when the next board is.  Get good grades, don't be a douche, pull good wool and it will all work out.

• Upvote 1