Viper down in DC

ClearedHot

14 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

I had a friend eject out of a Viper due to a poorly rebuilt engine, it ran for like 100 hours before it detonated itself.  If I could put on here exactly what happened you'd be surprised it lasted longer than 5 minutes.

You never know, that's the scary part. Just saw an engine come back into the shop with a sheared HP shaft because someone put a seal in backwards. Was fielded for about 250 hours. We couldn't believe it made it past the first run to takeoff power.

Edited by GDAL

DLA. Defense Logistics Agency. For example they often think an O-ring is an O-ring is an O-ring (hey I can buy this 5 dollar O-ring for 3 dollars from another vendor type of mentality). Sometimes they need to informed that while they may look similar one may be designed for a hydraulic system versus a fuel system. Main Engine Controls have more than a few and any leakage can not surprisingly cause problems. DLA in their quest to save a buck also dearly wants to reverse engineer high dollar components in the same MECs to save money and can't seem to understand why no one else does. Most of the hardware manufactured for things like the MEC has one manufacturer (OEM) that can reliably make the components. Yes they charge a lot but they have the long term background with the system and frankly more skin in the game if something does goes wrong with more resources to figure out any issues.  The first time you have a failure at the interface of an aftermarket component and an OEM system. OMG let the finger pointing begin on who's at fault. If it's 100 percent OEM then there's no question where the buck stops. Yes engine components are expensive but how expensive will it be if we dump an aircraft on a school.

Edited by fire4effect
grammur