Viper down in DC

ClearedHot

On 4/5/2017 at 2:35 PM, Jaded said:

Viper guys usually do not carry cell phones.

Most of us Luke guys do, especially since they told us the beacon and the radio may or may not work.....

It was also mandatory to fly with one at my last CAF squadron.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flare said:

Most of us Luke guys do, especially since they told us the beacon and the radio may or may not work.....

It was also mandatory to fly with one at my last CAF squadron.

That's more along the lines of what I expected and what Hornet guys do. More if you have to divert than anything else.

Cells are the exception in the viper from my experience. Never have flown with one, and I I can count on one hand the dudes I know who do. Not saying it's a bad idea, just not common in some communities. 

Cells are the exception in the viper from my experience. Never have flown with one, and I I can count on one hand the dudes I know who do. Not saying it's a bad idea, just not common in some communities. 

Single engine/single seat? I'd fly with two cell phones!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, brabus said:

Not sure if it's a community thing, maybe a squadron thing.  I can count on one hand, how many squadron mates that DON'T fly with their phones.  

Must be squadron specific then. I would be afraid about walking in the vault with my phone in my gsuit, not that habits can't change. It's all good, I'll figure out how to use that damn radio about an hour after I hit the ground. 

Not exactly the same but along the same line of thinking, I always carried a cheap $40 Roshan phone with scratch card minutes in Afghanistan. Seems the most reliable means of comms in third world areas is the cell network. Most certainly not secure but if my day has REALLY gone to sh!t then the bad guys already know where I am and I want the good guys to know too. 40 bucks plus minutes would seem mighty cheap at that point.  When I watched "Lone Survivor" I couldn't help but think how something as simple as having a local cell phone might have been the difference between everyone coming home alive with no one knowing their names and being the subject of a feature film.

2 hours ago, brabus said:

It's all good, I'll figure out how to use that damn radio about an hour after I hit the ground. 

And that is why I really bring my iPhone.

55 minutes ago, fire4effect said:

Not exactly the same but along the same line of thinking, I always carried a cheap $40 Roshan phone with scratch card minutes in Afghanistan. Seems the most reliable means of comms in third world areas is the cell network. Most certainly not secure but if my day has REALLY gone to sh!t then the bad guys already know where I am and I want the good guys to know too. 40 bucks plus minutes would seem mighty cheap at that point.  When I watched "Lone Survivor" I couldn't help but think how something as simple as having a local cell phone might have been the difference between everyone coming home alive with no one knowing their names and being the subject of a feature film.

We were issued "burner phones" by our Flight Equipment Marines on every sortie we launched on for this purpose.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SocialD said:

Not sure if it's a community thing, maybe a squadron thing.  I can count on one hand, how many squadron mates that DON'T fly with their phones.  

Yeah, this - I don't know anyone who DOESN'T fly with one.

20 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

And that is why I really bring my iPhone.

We were issued "burner phones" by our Flight Equipment Marines on every sortie we launched on for this purpose.

That is awesome

6 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

Yep, same here. Plan A if we went down (sts) was to have one dude on a -152 to try to raise another one of our birds in the area while another dudes fired up the local cell to call the guys back in the TOC.

• 6 months later...

"According to the investigation report, the engine was improperly assembled due to procedural failures on the part of the Commodities Maintenance Squadron at the Air Logistics Complex in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma."

I'm shocked , shocked I tell you. Maybe the military should start buying its parts from FAA/PMA certified repair stations. It's getting to the point now that I trust canned parts more off another jet than a new one out of a box repaired at any of the 3 ALC depot's. It's all a numbers game and most supervisors integrity is suspect. 

13 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

Would that engine not have been run on a test stand prior to being installed in a jet?

If the MEC had a internal defect it my not show up during a ground run. If we change a MEC, mechanical engine control,  we do ground checks such a basic leak check and also if it makes power and accelerates in within time limits. Most ground engine runs at high power are kept below 5 minutes due to the high EGT. Its a little more complicated with a multi engine jet since all engines need to be equal in reading and throttle alignment. I'm a big jet guy so not familiar of how they test run Vipers or if its done off the jet at a test cell then installed. Big jet engines are all tested at Tinker then shipped out and are not test celled until it goes back to Tinker. Some KC-135's still have the original  CFM-56's on them that were installed by Boeing when they were converted from A/Q to R/T's back in the 80's.

Edited by Prosuper
content