Regional pilot to reserve/ guard

gear3green

Hi everyone,

I have been debating for a little while going into the guard/reserve. Currently I am working as a regional pilot based out of O'Hare. I am 27 and hold a bachelor's degree but my GPA is sitting at 2.6. I served 5 years in the Army guard as an engineer (enlisted). For my total time I have around 1700 hours with roughly 600 in the  CRJ. My questions to you all is, do I stand a chance? I really don't care what I fly, heck it can be a Cessna 172. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time. 

• Upvote 1

Probably the wrong forum (there's one specifically for Guard/Reserve stuff), but yeah, you probably stand a very good chance if you score decently on the AFOQT and TBAS, aren't a tool, and have decent records from your enlisted time.

You are closing in on the age when some units will not want to hire you. 30 is the magic birthday at which you must have started UPT, unless you receive a waiver. The process to get to UPT is long enough that many units will require you to be no older than 28.5 to apply/interview, so you've got a limited window to find a unit, or go unsponsored Reserves. That said, if you're not picky about airframes or locations you can probably find a heavy unit that will take you quickly, and/or give you a waiver if you need it.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

May I ask why you want to join the military as a pilot?

At the airlines I feel like it's a revolving door. You might fly with someone today and never see that person again. In a way I miss the tight community. As for why I want to come in as a pilot? I want to gain experience. Also I been told the community is very close. I would like to find a place were my wife can volunteer and we can call it a second family. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sforron said:

Probably the wrong forum (there's one specifically for Guard/Reserve stuff), but yeah, you probably stand a very good chance if you score decently on the AFOQT and TBAS, aren't a tool, and have decent records from your enlisted time.

You are closing in on the age when some units will not want to hire you. 30 is the magic birthday at which you must have started UPT, unless you receive a waiver. The process to get to UPT is long enough that many units will require you to be no older than 28.5 to apply/interview, so you've got a limited window to find a unit, or go unsponsored Reserves. That said, if you're not picky about airframes or locations you can probably find a heavy unit that will take you quickly, and/or give you a waiver if you need it.

Thank you for the info. Not trying to be picky again with air frames but heavies is my top choice actually. Really appreciate the encouragement. 

• Upvote 1