Temporary Storage Extension?

Chicken

My wife and I are currently trying to build our house in FL... pretty much the most miserable experience ever.  Looks like we might actually close this time but have a question on our storage.  We moved here last week of Oct and put most everything in storage.  We got the extension until 1 May I believe, but the house won't be done until about September.  From the few folks I've talked to, building a house is not a good enough reason for more storage time.  He said he's currently paying $750+ a month for storage and the government is no longer liable for damages.  Are there any reasons that an additional extension could be granted?

19 hours ago, Chicken said:

My wife and I are currently trying to build our house in FL... pretty much the most miserable experience ever.  Looks like we might actually close this time but have a question on our storage.  We moved here last week of Oct and put most everything in storage.  We got the extension until 1 May I believe, but the house won't be done until about September.  From the few folks I've talked to, building a house is not a good enough reason for more storage time.  He said he's currently paying $750+ a month for storage and the government is no longer liable for damages.  Are there any reasons that an additional extension could be granted?

TDY/Deployment. Been there, done that, although it took talking to an O-5 in their chain of command to get the A1Cs at JPPSO to realize that a deployment is a TDY (JFTR only uses the word "TDY") and grant the extension. I hear the AEF Center online has a list of 179s that require your particular skills.

Not an answer to your question, but I had to leave my things in storage several months beyond all my extensions and it ended up costing me ~$35/month.  It's going to vary based on the specific contractor involved and how much square footage your stuff occupies, but $750 sounds exorbitant.  Call JPPSO and find out where your stuff is, then call the contractor and establish how much they're going to charge you if the cost is transferred.  You might find out it's not enough to warrant banging your head against the wall with JPPSO to grant the extension.

Don't take my word on what follows.  Verify it with JPPSO or read the JTR, but:

My understanding when I went through this was that the government would still insure against damage that occurred during packing, transit, storage through the end of your extension, and delivery.  They wouldn't cover damage that occurred during the time that storage cost was your responsibility.

I think I asked JPPSO how I could be expected to establish when any damage may have occurred given that it was out of my possession the whole time.  If I recall correctly I was told that, in general, if it wasn't a clear case of the damage having occurred during your period of liability (i.e. the warehouse burned down during that time), they'd cover any damage.  I never had to test that theory out, so take it for what it's worth.