Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eddy13

Chances of Pilot/CSO Select for Reserves/ANG

Recommended Posts

Just wanted to get some feedback on chances for a pilot slot or CSO slot with the Reserves or ANG with the scores that I have, or if I should retake the AFOQT and get some flight hours.

AFOQT Score P:54/Nav:74/AA:48/V:68/Q:32

B.A. in History

GPA: 3.28

A little background on the total person, because I understand those scores are most likely lower than the average, I was a Division I swimmer and was captain my senior year.  In addition I worked very closely with the Athletic Department and was a representative on the Student Athlete Advisory Committee as well as the Intercollegiate Athletic Board.  I also coached swimming at the Club, High School, and Collegiate level, and was active in volunteer work with Habitat for Humanity, and Meals on Wheels while in school.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

 

Edited by eddy13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eddy, 

I would definitely say work towards a pilots license if you aspire to be a pilot. I know people do get hired without a PPL, but I imagine there's other outstanding qualities and lucking out with "right place right time" addage. Getting a PPL with help you 3-fold: Having flight time to boost PCSM, having better understanding of aeronautical knowledge (to boost afoqt on retake - which also helps you on the PCSM), and it will make you competitive against the numerous other applicants who have far beyond a PPL and hundreds of flight hours. It will be in your favor to do everything you can to avoid the question "So, you're applying for a pilot position, but you have never flown before. Why? How do you know that this is for you?" 

I say, knock out your PPL, possibly retake AFOQT to boost pilot score, rock the TBAS, and do your research. There is a wealth of knowledge in resources like this website. Be prepared and best of luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BEEPBEEPIMINAJEEP said:

Eddy, 

I would definitely say work towards a pilots license if you aspire to be a pilot. I know people do get hired without a PPL, but I imagine there's other outstanding qualities and lucking out with "right place right time" addage. Getting a PPL with help you 3-fold: Having flight time to boost PCSM, having better understanding of aeronautical knowledge (to boost afoqt on retake - which also helps you on the PCSM), and it will make you competitive against the numerous other applicants who have far beyond a PPL and hundreds of flight hours. It will be in your favor to do everything you can to avoid the question "So, you're applying for a pilot position, but you have never flown before. Why? How do you know that this is for you?" 

I say, knock out your PPL, possibly retake AFOQT to boost pilot score, rock the TBAS, and do your research. There is a wealth of knowledge in resources like this website. Be prepared and best of luck! 

 

9 hours ago, Gtseth818 said:

This is a great response. OP, based on the information you've provided, I don't think you're very competitive for a pilot slot. However, you have a respectable GPA and everything else you can improve. You really need to get some flight hours and then retake the AFOQT. Following that, take the TBAS and get a decent PCSM. Otherwise, you seem like some guy off the street who doesn't have a clue what he's getting into. 

I appreciate the responses and the advice.  I am starting Monday working towards my PPL.  In hindsight I went about it a little backwards as I was so focused on trying to get my AFOQT done before the June Reserve board that I didn't give myself enough time to do great. 

I had been doing a fair amount of research and had come to around the same conclusion you guys gave me before I posted but wanted to get a second opinion from people who had gone through it. 

Again I really appreciate the help and the advice, it's extremely helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2017 at 7:56 AM, Gtseth818 said:

Sounds like you've got a good attitude and that will take you a long way. Keep working hard, don't get discouraged or self-disqualify, and achieve your dreams!

Took my TBAS yesterday and got my PCSM back today, rolling in with a 14.  Now I still don't have any flight hours, but am working on getting them up (Weather in WNY has grounded 4 attempts to get up) so I'm hoping the summer will allow me to get up a ton.  I can't take the AFOQT again until August and have been studying and already feel far more confident than I did going into the first test.

I guess the major question is should I be super concerned with this, was my TBAS awful, or is it more so the factors of me having a low AFOQT and zero flight hours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, eddy13 said:

Took my TBAS yesterday and got my PCSM back today, rolling in with a 14.  Now I still don't have any flight hours, but am working on getting them up (Weather in WNY has grounded 4 attempts to get up) so I'm hoping the summer will allow me to get up a ton.  I can't take the AFOQT again until August and have been studying and already feel far more confident than I did going into the first test.

I guess the major question is should I be super concerned with this, was my TBAS awful, or is it more so the factors of me having a low AFOQT and zero flight hours?

The Pilot AFOQT composite has a considerable impact on your PCSM score. Definitely retake and shoot for 80s/90s there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rti35 said:

The Pilot AFOQT composite has a considerable impact on your PCSM score. Definitely retake and shoot for 80s/90s there

Sounds good, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RunningMan said:

Your scores are not good. But it is still possible for you to be selected for a pilot slot.  Don't ask me how I know........

Couldn't resist...How do you know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×