Vance OG/CC bans alcohol

flyusaf83

Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 5:05 PM
Subject: 71 OG Policy on Alcohol Consumption

Importance: High

The 71st Operations Group has experienced several alcohol related incidents since the beginning of the New Year.  As a result, we need to take this opportunity to reassess our alcohol consumption rules and safety plans, as no plans are fool-proof.

Therefore, effective immediately, in order to safeguard and promote the discipline and usefulness of members of the 71 OG and in order to maintain good order, I am ordering a new Alcohol Consumption Policy.  Failure to obey this Alcohol Consumption Policy by military personnel may be punished as a violation of Article 92, UCMJ.  Civilian personnel who violate this Alcohol Consumption Policy may be subject to administrative disciplinary action under AFI 36-704, without regard to otherwise applicable criminal or civil sanctions for violations of related laws. Contractor personnel who violate this Policy are subject to penalties according to local laws and the terms of the governing contract.

Until further notice:

1. Alcohol will not be consumed inside any 71st Operations Group facility (flight, squadron, Group Staff, etc.) at any time.
  1. Unless specifically authorized by the 71 OG/CC prior to the event, alcohol will not be consumed at any Official Group or Squadron-sponsored and/or planned gathering. This applies to On- and Off-base official or semi-official functions.

Currently, there are three previously scheduled official events.  I have discussed these events with Col Judy and we agreed on the following COA for each.  Here’s the ground rules for these events:

1. O-6 Promo Party: 71 OG personnel WILL be allowed to attend and consume alcohol at the Club, helping to celebrate Lt Col “JJ” Loschinskey, his family, and their promotion to Colonel.
  2. 17-14’s & Future Track Selects: 71 OG personnel WILL NOT drink alcohol IAW #1 above.  However, Track Select Student Pilots and their families, civilian family members of 71 OG personnel, and non-71 OG personnel may still consume alcohol responsibly.
  3. 17-06 Graduation: 71 OG personnel WILL be allowed to consume alcohol at the Club, during the Graduation ceremony, but not before.

These three events are approved exceptions to this Alcohol Consumption Policy.  Any future exception requests should be routed through the formal chain of command for a case-by-case assessment.

To date, we are thankful that nobody has been hurt due to an alcohol related incident.   However, before this Policy is eliminated and alcohol is again allowed to be consumed in OG facilities, each of you can expect a more robust plan be in place, across the 71 OG, to take care of each other.  If you have ideas, let your chain of command know.  I have my ideas, but I’m sure there are more and better ideas out there.

Finally, I also recognize that there are scores of examples of plans that have worked, and we never hear of their successes.  I encourage you to keep that up.  However, I believe we can all strive to do better, and that includes me.

PJ

Col Paul M. Johnson
Commander, 71st Operations Group
173 Merritt Ave
Vance AFB, OK  73705-5209
580-213-7465
paul.johnson.5@us.af.mil

• Upvote 1

Do you really think commissioned officers of the AF, who are rated aircrew entrusted with millions of dollars of equipment on a daily basis, have legal authority over probably hundreds of enlisted personnel at Vance AFB, who could be put on a plane at a moment's notice to fight in a war.... do you really think those people could be entrusted with this on government property or at government sponsored social functions?

Beer_Final_1024x1024.png?v=1466569028

Edited by Clark Griswold
  • Upvote 1

Everyone, especially the studs, should boycott and gtfo of work asap everyday and head to Wild Childs or some other adult establishment. There they can party their asses off, reflect on wtf happened to this AF, and learn how to never be a tool like PJ.

If I were a UPT IP, I would certainly stop attending track selects and assignment nights if I were banned from drinking, but the studs were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guy is a class act. He's one of the few leaders in the AF actually worth following. I know several people that he's went to bat for. He gets it. I think it's more of a situation where someone on high got involved and "highly suggested" alcohol be temporarily banned after a few made some bad decisions.

Spears welcome.

I don't see what difference it really makes.

I've always preferred going off base to drink.

and they can't stop that.   even if you want to have a promotion celebration.   just have the official ceremony on base and cut chalk and take the real celebration somewhere else. 

• Upvote 2

This guy is a class act. He's one of the few leaders in the AF actually worth following.

Bullschite. Any "leader" who punishes the many for the mistakes of one, or a few, is no leader. If there is an alcohol problem, there are other ways he can address it. For example, he could have casual LTs provide an AADD service for squadron functions if he's concerned his IPs will get DUIs.

On an aside, I don't think I am alone in thinking that Welsh was "one of the few," only to end up vastly underwhelmed by his tenure as CSAF. A bro can turn into a complete dbag when he assumes new rank or responsibilities.

This guy is a class act. He's one of the few leaders in the AF actually worth following. I know several people that he's went to bat for. He gets it. I think it's more of a situation where someone on high got involved and "highly suggested" alcohol be temporarily banned after a few made some bad decisions.
Spears welcome.

I completely disagree, in fact it shows a lack of leadership and courage if he didn't have the will to push back to "someone on high." Instead he's made it clear to ALL his people that he doesn't trust them to be responsible. Not something that subordinates respect or make them want to follow.
  • Upvote 5

What precipitated the alcohol ban?

Something like 3-5 DUIs in a short period of time (like a month or so), as well as some shenanigans involving roll calls.

Vance does have AADD, and I believe casual LTs (or the baby class) are the drivers for events (track select, assignment night, graduation).

21 minutes ago, Boomer6 said:

This guy is a class act. He gets it......I think it's more of a situation where someone on high got involved.....

Spears welcome.

Every time a commander does something foolish, someone comes to their defense. I understand, humans aren't one dimensional.  Everyone is a combination of good and bad qualities.  However, we are also responsible for our actions and this is terrible leadership.  I don't care that he went to bat for your bro, he's using mass punishment while exempting his peers.  Foul.  

• Upvote 2

Good thing we don't have a pilot shortage, nothing like poisoning the well early by killing another good tradition like the classroom beer light on fridays, track select and assignment night fun. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

Bullschite. Any "leader" who punishes the many for the mistakes of one, or a few, is no leader. If there is an alcohol problem, there are other ways he can address it. For example, he could have casual LTs provide an AADD service for squadron functions if he's concerned his IPs will get DUIs.

On an aside, I don't think I am alone in thinking that Welsh was "one of the few," only to end up vastly underwhelmed by his tenure as CSAF. A bro can turn into a complete dbag when he assumes new rank or responsibilities.

There's already an AADD service. What does having one of those do? Nothing. If someone is too drunk to make the smart decision not to drive they're not going to make a smart decision to call a DD service.

I completely understand your second point and have seen the same thing from other people when put in charge. This guy has went to bat for people that he didn't have to since he's been the OG, which is why I don't think he's one of those people.

2 minutes ago, WTFAF said:

I completely disagree, in fact it shows a lack of leadership and courage if he didn't have the will to push back to "someone on high." Instead he's made it clear to ALL his people that he doesn't trust them to be responsible. Not something that subordinates respect or make them want to follow.

Ever called BS to your boss and been told to STFU and color? I'm not saying that's what happened because I don't know, and no one that's posted on here knows the full story.

Ever called BS to your boss and been told to STFU and color? I'm not saying that's what happened because I don't know, and no one that's posted on here knows the full story.

You bet I have, and many times I've busted out the crayons. But the times when I've been told to do things to or directly affecting my subordinates I draw the line. That's my decision, and if my boss (or boss's boss, etc) disagrees with my choice then they can have me replaced. Yet to happen, but maybe it would if I were in PJs shoes.

16 minutes ago, jazzdude said:

Something like 3-5 DUIs in a short period of time (like a month or so), as well as some shenanigans involving roll calls.

Vance does have AADD, and I believe casual LTs (or the baby class) are the drivers for events (track select, assignment night, graduation).

3-5 DUIs at a UPT base full of students? Want to be treated like adults? Then drink like adults. 

• Upvote 6

This policy will accomplish three things....

1. Destroy morale.

2. Destroy leadership's credibility.

3. Force people to drink off-base where there are no built-in DDs and zero shits given about drinking "responsibly" as they would on-base.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Homestar said:

3-5 DUIs at a UPT base full of students? Want to be treated like adults? Then drink like adults. 

Booze ban at work and official events for 3-5 DUIs within two months is pretty tame, but maybe I've spent too much time in Japan/Korea.

I'm amused at the outrage.  People really love to drink on base.

• Upvote 2

if I'm a Lt in 17-xx I'm pissed but where do you draw the line?

Did you miss the part where he's banning the IPs from drinking at track selects, but not the studs?

8 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

Did you miss the part where he's banning the IPs from drinking at track selects, but not the studs?

You mean the part where he didn't punish the studs and take away from their track select for mistakes made by IPs?

• Upvote 1

You mean the part where he didn't punish the studs and take away from their track select for mistakes made by IPs?

Right, maybe there is a recent trend of IP drunken shenanigans, but you can bet that historically the studs account for the lion's share of alcohol related incidents.

I could be reading it wrong, but it seems that only applies to the studs in the tracking class. Any other studs there wouldn't be able to drink either.

That being said, track selects at DLF are held on flying days at 1100, so sounds like a completely different affair out there.