ACSC in the Guard

Yeah my thought was that I'd try the no-PME route the first round and then get my $hit together for the second one if I got passed over. Then again, I was pretty OK with retiring as an O-4 at the time. Of course this mentality was all pre-COVID so I'm glad things worked out. I was all about pushing the button right at 20, but thinking about sticking it out another 2-3 years to get more seniority under my belt to weather the next crisis.

Chida, how many years of service did you use for your calculations above?

I'm not one who thinks PME should be a determining factor for a PV, but most states require it. I have witnessed a lot of non-flyers get promoted multiple times in min time because they did PME, but were pretty darn average everywhere else. There's one particular person in my unit whom I always use as my example who I knew as an O-1 when I was an O-3 and promoted to O-5 over a year before me. Why? This person did PME and PV'd to O-4 and O-5 in min time.

I would love to get paid as an O-5 and wear O-4 rank.... forever.

Years of service don’t apply to a reserve retirement. Points are the only thing that matter. Years of service will be the top of the pay chart because your clock keeps running for pay chart purposes while in the grey area. Rank matters more for a reserve retirement than an active duty retirement bc the rank you take into the retired reserve is the rank that you will be paid at.
As an example: I need 3 yrs TIG as an O-5 to retire as an O-5. If I fail to get 3 yrs TIG while actively serving (ie before I transfer to the retired reserve aka grey area) then I will retire as an O-4 and my high-36 will be the top of the O-4 payscale.
If I do get 3 yrs TIG, I will retire as an O-5 and my high-36 will be the top of the O-5 payscale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Uh confirm you’re a Guard guy that WANTS to go to ACSC in res?

The office space quote of, “Lawrence: (long pause) No.... No, man...Shit, no man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying somethin like that, man” comes to mind.

Insert GIF someone.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

Uh confirm you’re a Guard guy that WANTS to go to ACSC in res?

The office space quote of, “Lawrence: (long pause) No.... No, man...Shit, no man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying somethin like that, man” comes to mind.

Yeah the game plan is to pick up some full time orders while being close to the family and then hopefully if luck and timing work out catching a PCS to an AGR position. Definitely not for everyone but it would work out well for my situation. 

• 6 months later...

To all my fellow lazy ARC O-4s, if you someday find this thread because you're wondering if there's an easier way to complete IDE than just knocking out ACSC online (i.e. at a sister service school or whatever), I did the googling for you and sadly there's not. The Navy version is the only realistic option but it's 100% proctored rather than mostly self-paced. 

(gouge certified current as of 1 Dec 22)

• 8 months later...
23 hours ago, mcbush said:

Do you get points for doing distance PME while on short-term MPA as a part-timer? Or does the MPA prevent you from earning additional points for those days?

Looking back at my points, I received points for doing SOS while on an overseas deployment, so I'd think you would get them.  The only thing I can think of is if you're doing a full year of orders, you may not get them because you only get 365 retirement points in a year.  

break break

Update to an earlier post in this thread.  It has been done, a great friend/squadron mate has successfully ROPMA'd to LTC without doing SOS or ACSC.  It couldn't have happened to a better guy.  Fucking legend!  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/17/2023 at 10:15 AM, SocialD said:

Update to an earlier post in this thread.  It has been done, a great friend/squadron mate has successfully ROPMA'd to LTC without doing SOS or ACSC.  It couldn't have happened to a better guy.  Fucking legend!  

Multiple guys in my Guard unit (myself included) have ROPMA'd without any ACSC.  I did SOS in-res before separating from AD.  Not sure on the other guys.

Meanwhile my Reservist buddy was recently passed over (clean record, WO, ACSC in correspondence).  Two different worlds. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FUSEPLUG said:

Meanwhile my Reservist buddy was recently passed over (clean record, WO, ACSC in correspondence).

Holy shit. That is an epic leadership failure at multiple levels. I hope he’s at a major, or about to be. 

On 8/17/2023 at 9:15 AM, SocialD said:

Looking back at my points, I received points for doing SOS while on an overseas deployment, so I'd think you would get them.  The only thing I can think of is if you're doing a full year of orders, you may not get them because you only get 365 retirement points in a year.  

I can see the points I got for ACSC even though I did it over the course of two years when I had 365 MPA. The points are there under "total points" but not "retire points" so IDK exactly how it shakes out once I retire. I'm hoping to get 20 TAFMS so we'll see, hopefully I'll get a few bonus dollars added to that check-of-the-month.

13 hours ago, brabus said:

Holy shit. That is an epic leadership failure at multiple levels. I hope he’s at a major, or about to be. 

For sure. His priorities have shifted and he’ll be spending considerably more time at Delta for the next few years until retirement.  

• 2 months later...