AFOQT Scores- Chances?

Confused on how I should feel on my chances at this time:

Pilot: 99 Navigator: 83 Academic: 33 Verbal: 33 Quantitative: 39

PCSM: Waiting to come in.

GPA. 3.67

I don't know what to think of my AFOQT scores at this time. I see them being very low and will be retesting at the 6 month mark to hopefully make them better. Any insight is welcomed. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Kiloalpha said:

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it. As I understand it, Pilot and Nav are the two they are looking at. My quant is low as well, but it hasn't stopped me from getting interviews. Now, that PCSM on the other hand is something that you should try to change/fix if its low. 

Strong GPA, good Pilot/Nav numbers. I think you're fine/competitive.

Thanks Kilo! Always the shining beacon of hope. What about my combined scores of Academic, Verbal, and Quantitative only adding up to 105? Doesn't it need to be be a total amount of 150 or so to commission? Thumbing through the regs right now.

38 minutes ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Thanks Kilo! Always the shining beacon of hope. What about my combined scores of Academic, Verbal, and Quantitative only adding up to 105? Doesn't it need to be be a total amount of 150 or so to commission? Thumbing through the regs right now.

I haven't crawled through the AFIs, but fairly sure the only minimum AFOQT scores are Verbal 15, Quant 10, Pilot 25 and CSO 10 (for Pilot applicants). No combined scores have been mentioned to me, but someone else might know otherwise.

Here's the verbiage taken directly from the BaseOps page:

"All candidates must have a minimum score of 15 (Verbal) and 10 (Quantitative). These are absolute minimums and not waiverable for categorization even if you were able to get a waiver to get into the POC. Pilot candidates must have a minimum score of 25 (Pilot), 10 (Navigator) and cumulative 50 (Pilot + Navigator). Also, your AFOQT Pilot score will factor into your PCSM score. Navigator candidates must achieve a minimum score of 10 (Pilot), 25 (Navigator) and cumulative 50 (Pilot + Navigator). Also, you will receive up to 15 maximum OM points from your AFOQT Navigator score."

Edited by Kiloalpha

1 hour ago, mb1685 said:

Maybe my memory is rusty, but I seem to recall reading a long time ago that the combined AA+V+Q scores come into play for GPA waivers.

Spot on. Maybe this is what I'm thinking of from AFRSI 36-2001:

Minimum Grade Point Average is the undergraduate institution’s GPA from the
qualifying degree transcript
or AF FM 1413, Verification of Schedule Graduation form.
GPA waivers will only be considered if the applicant has a total cumulative score of 150
or higher when adding the AFOQT sub
-
scores of Academic Adaptability (AA), Verbal
(V), and Quantitative (Q). A
Masters degree or higher GPA will only be considered if
applicant does not have a bachelor degree; the lowest level degree’s GPA will be used as
the qualifying GPA.

Hey guys this is a little off topic but it seems like this post is somewhat relevant to my situation.  I recently applied for a pilot position with my local guard unit flying RPA. I have an interview coming up for an RPA position with the Guard and having a tough time getting a few questions answered. If anybody could shed some light that would be awesome! I was curious if in between my various pilot and training schools if I would be on orders in between and be at the base on a daily basis temporarily or do I get to go back to my regular job until the next school starts whatever that duration might be? I'm willing to make the commitment either way I would just like to be able to plan that's all.

Thanks

I don't believe there is any official guidance for the 150 minimum other than the waiver rule as noted above.  However, you have to remember that the recruiting business is a "supply and demand" situation.  When recruiters are undermanned and overworked, they (or their supervision) can add little restrictions onto their local processes to weed out the less impressive applicants so they can spend their limited time on the ones who "look" (not "are") more likely to succeed.  When manning requirements were "okay" a few years ago, a lot of the recruiting units adapted a policy of not accepting applications from those with less than 150 on the "matrix" (AA+A+V)...or the bottom 50% of that group.  Whether they do that these days , I don't know.  It would be worth it to find out if your recruiter uses that cutoff these days.  If yes, retaking the AFOQT might be a necessity; if no, then press on with what you have.

Just be aware that the 150 issue doesn't have much, or any, relation to the selection board's process, only with the local recruiters as a work management tool.

Good luck.

On 3/2/2017 at 2:16 PM, HiFlyer said:

I don't believe there is any official guidance for the 150 minimum other than the waiver rule as noted above.  However, you have to remember that the recruiting business is a "supply and demand" situation.  When recruiters are undermanned and overworked, they (or their supervision) can add little restrictions onto their local processes to weed out the less impressive applicants so they can spend their limited time on the ones who "look" (not "are") more likely to succeed.  When manning requirements were "okay" a few years ago, a lot of the recruiting units adapted a policy of not accepting applications from those with less than 150 on the "matrix" (AA+A+V)...or the bottom 50% of that group.  Whether they do that these days , I don't know.  It would be worth it to find out if your recruiter uses that cutoff these days.  If yes, retaking the AFOQT might be a necessity; if no, then press on with what you have.

Just be aware that the 150 issue doesn't have much, or any, relation to the selection board's process, only with the local recruiters as a work management tool.

Good luck.

Thank you HiFlyer. I will contact the local recruiters to see if they can provide further information on this.

• 10 months later...