Ganglion Cyst in wrist and TFOF in 6 months, can I opt for removal?

Bauwse

I have been getting my push ups in and I developed a ganglion cyst (diagnosed) which has caused me pain in the pushup position. I've been able to continue doing a lower pushup count on my knuckles, but anytime my wrist is extended a certain way, I get pain. 

After the cortisone shot worked and faded, my PA recommended removal and said she does this all the time on military guys. The only healing is two weeks after for the incision.

I'd like to do it, it's not urgent but I can't see a better time to do it than now before I go to OTS. Will this jeopardize my UPT pilot slot if I opt for removal? I've already passed the FC1 and MEPS, who would I go to to ask for permission?

Thanks
Edited by pilotbeech

I'm not sure how you're doing your pushups, but I've had the same issue.  I used to get those flare ups every couple months, and they were painful.  Have not had one in years but have done pushups on my knuckles ever since 2010.  If I keep my wrists straight I have no issues... and I rather not have unneeded surgery if I don't need it.  Plus it makes the boys at Cobra Kai proud when I do knuckle push ups...

• 2 weeks later...

I used to get them as a teenager and just suffered through it and they eventually went away. Once I was on AD and had the free clinic available to me, I went over to see what we could do.  BIG F'ing mistake.  This P.A. (who looked like a GD janitor) said he would rupture it by stabbing it with a needle one size bigger than the one they use to draw blood. So my dumbass said, "Okay". Worst pain I've ever had in my life. He pushed that needle into my wrist and it took four attempts to actually hit the damn thing. BTW, there is a nerve that runs from your wrist to the bottom of your foot and it feels like someone is driving a hot poker into your foot when they stab a big needle into your wrist. BL... let it go away on it's own. FWIW, I think I healed up in about a week or so. I'll just live with any more that come my way.