2018 Active Duty UFT Board

flat4power

Congratulations to all of those who got picked up for UFT 2017. You guys/gals earned every bit of it. Overall, a great year for the applicants.  I am starting this new thread, not to hijack the 2017 UFT Active Duty thread that is already filled with valuable information, but to posture for the upcoming UFT 2018 AD boards that some may find useful--organization wise.  Again, congrats to our bros who applied for UFT 2017 and got selected, and for those have high hopes for upcoming FY2018, let's keep working hard and charge ahead!

• 3 months later...

I am looking to put in a package for RPA as soon as possible.  I have a few questions though.  I will be PCSing in Dec-Jan time frame.  Is there any retainability issues with me putting in a package.  I have heard that you have to be on station for a year prior to being released for cross training.  I am hopeful that by the time I put in a package and hopefully get selected, that I would have been on station for a year at my new base.  Any help would be appreciated.

On 5/31/2017 at 11:01 PM, Toxic said:

I am looking to put in a package for RPA as soon as possible.  I have a few questions though.  I will be PCSing in Dec-Jan time frame.  Is there any retainability issues with me putting in a package.  I have heard that you have to be on station for a year prior to being released for cross training.  I am hopeful that by the time I put in a package and hopefully get selected, that I would have been on station for a year at my new base.  Any help would be appreciated.

There are zero TOS requirements to apply. You can be at your new base for 1 day and still be selected on the board. This applies if you're already an O applying for the "Active Duty UFT Board". If you are enlisted applying for the new RPA board or OTS then I am not sure if there is TOS requirements or not. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:04 AM, Vimix22 said:

There are zero TOS requirements to apply. You can be at your new base for 1 day and still be selected on the board. This applies if you're already an O applying for the "Active Duty UFT Board". If you are enlisted applying for the new RPA board or OTS then I am not sure if there is TOS requirements or not. 

I am an O applying for the AD UFT Board.  The  no Time On Station requirement is good news.  I could put in a package this November but I would rather wait another year to increase my PCSM.  I am conflicted on which board to apply to.  Some people are telling me to go for it and not to spend money on my PPL for an RPA slot. On the other hand, I will have extremely good letters of recommendation but don't want to waste  those on a less competitive package. 

We have released the Undergraduate Flying Training (UFT) Board 2018 Announcement this morning to the field:

MyPers Announcement:
https://mypers.af.mil/app/answers/detail/a_id/34543

There are several changes to the program this year:
1.  One Personal Letter:  We are now allowing members to provide a letter to the board with the member's comments on why they should get picked for Pilot, CSO, RPA, or ABM training.  This is YOUR chance to sell yourself.

2.  Members are now required to apply for all crew positions to which they are medically qualified.

Please read the message carefully!  There are subtle changes this year as well.  If there is any information you want or need, let us know.  

Please visit our website on the Portal.... CAC required.
https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/USAF/ep/browse.do?programId=t0ECF2BB852AD5A280152C257EBA7018E&channelPageId=s330D98A14DFE211B014E2178A7BD03FF
Any questions, let us know.

Pred

Maj Travis "Pred" Halleman
UFT Board POC / Deputy Branch Chief, Rated Assignments

• Upvote 1

Now knowing that we will be required to apply to all crew positions, should I wait to apply until next year?  I want to become an RPA pilot but have a relatively low Pilot AFOQT score (41) and no flight hours.  RPA would be by #1 choice followed by pilot, ABM, CSO.  With my scores being lower I feel I would more than likely get picked up for the non-piloting AFSCs.

My brain wants me to apply this year, but my gut is telling me to wait so that I can increase my pilot score and get some flight hours.  Additionally, I think last year if you got something you didn't want and declined, than you were ineligible to apply to the board again.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

• On 6/24/2017 at 1:23 AM, Toxic said:

Now knowing that we will be required to apply to all crew positions, should I wait to apply until next year?  I want to become an RPA pilot but have a relatively low Pilot AFOQT score (41) and no flight hours.  RPA would be by #1 choice followed by pilot, ABM, CSO.  With my scores being lower I feel I would more than likely get picked up for the non-piloting AFSCs.

My brain wants me to apply this year, but my gut is telling me to wait so that I can increase my pilot score and get some flight hours.  Additionally, I think last year if you got something you didn't want and declined, than you were ineligible to apply to the board again.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Last I checked, there's a ton of time between June and November.  How about you schedule to retake the AFOQT, book some flight lessons, and reassess after you've done both things and have a better idea of where your PCSM is at.  I will say that I met a guy at MFS who put RPA first (also had his PPL), and got it.

As far as spending money, how much is it worth to you?  I shelled out about 4K last year to finish my PPL, and was fortunate to get a slot.  Do I think about that 4K?  Besides bringing it up now, no.  Am I enjoying being at my UPT base, ready to start soon?  You bet your ass.

Edited by Warriorboy16

I would surely feel more comfortable with the timeline if I was home station but I am deployed until October.  I could start the majority of the things while I am out here but will not have time to get my PPL before the due date.  I also don't know how long it would take to get my official AFOQT scores back and added to my package.  I think you are right though.  I should reassess after I re-take the AFOQT and get some flight time.  Thanks for the help!

Very good questions .....

1.  We are being told to expect similar numbers if not more for pilot training.  For Board 17 we had 60 pilots, 15 CSOs, 15 ABMs, and 10 RPA pilots. To be honest RPAs will most likely be very competitive as that's the one number that will not change.

2.  How the board works... the 5 members grade each application on a scale of 6-10. Then the combined scores are racked and stacked from largest to smallest scores. Then we go down the list assigning spots to the individual's #1 desire. When we run out of the first desire we assign the second desire and so on. 

On 6/30/2017 at 9:49 PM, Toxic said:

I would surely feel more comfortable with the timeline if I was home station but I am deployed until October.  I could start the majority of the things while I am out here but will not have time to get my PPL before the due date.  I also don't know how long it would take to get my official AFOQT scores back and added to my package.  I think you are right though.  I should reassess after I re-take the AFOQT and get some flight time.  Thanks for the help!

I retook mine, and if I recall it was about a 2 week turn around, at most..

also, pred can provide more insight, but so long as you made the original deadline last year, you had about an extra month and a half to add any changes to your package (I.e. Better PCSM/AFOQT/PPL/etc.) so you might have more time than you think you do. Check the PSDM and confer with the board POCs. If you're on R&R when you get back, might be a good  time to finish the PPL, if you decide to go that route

Edited by Warriorboy16

• 4 weeks later...

In regards to the form 215... what do they look for in the bullets? "OPR" type bullets? Or does the board look at my OPRs separately? If so, what should I have in there-stuff about how my leadership and hard work will make me a great pilot?

If anyone has an example or two of a good one and would be willing to share I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

In a bind.

Pilot: 49

PCSM: 23

Hours: 0

So I have a crash course PPL scheduled (41hrs: 47 PCSM).  Studying to retake my AFOQT 19 Oct.  If needed, I will retake my TBAS.  Should I take the TBAS before AFOQT?  

Also, has anyone recieved clear guidance on only putting only pilot?  The 215 example they have listed mentions that that is only the case if it is your third attempt.  I know several people last year who only put pilot when the rules were the same (they ended up getting a call for CSO). 

On 9/28/2017 at 9:32 PM, Hopeful_guy said:

In a bind.

Pilot: 49

PCSM: 23

Hours: 0

So I have a crash course PPL scheduled (41hrs: 47 PCSM).  Studying to retake my AFOQT 19 Oct.  If needed, I will retake my TBAS.  Should I take the TBAS before AFOQT?  

Also, has anyone recieved clear guidance on only putting only pilot?  The 215 example they have listed mentions that that is only the case if it is your third attempt.  I know several people last year who only put pilot when the rules were the same (they ended up getting a call for CSO). 

I know  you have to take the AFOQT before taking the TBAS, but if you have already taken the AFOQT once, you can ask the education office if you can take the TBAS now and retake the AFOQT later on.

On 9/30/2017 at 10:25 PM, flat4power said:

I know  you have to take the AFOQT before taking the TBAS, but if you have already taken the AFOQT once, you can ask the education office if you can take the TBAS now and retake the AFOQT later on.

This is incorrect. I took my TBAS about a month before I took my AFOQT. The downside to this was that a PCSM score wouldn't generate until I had taken the AFOQT. 

• 1 month later...

@goddard15 semi-same issue back when I applied. fun fact: they pushed the current version of the form215 that references a "remarks" section but forgot to add said section. I got 3 possible work arounds that previously worked or at least we're allowed after I or someone asked the POC running the board.

1) burn precious space on the 6 lines that your rater and senior rater sign (I did this but wouldn't recommend it...wasted space if you've been doing baller work)

2) one dude I know used section 18 remarks section in the same manner the rater/Sr. Rater sections were used and they took it...

3) ask the POC if you can put an MFR together (with pic of last page of log book) and submit in lieu of "copy of PPL"

ASK the POC If any of those options are possible, if they say none then ask them what if anything would be acceptable to them. Doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 8:22 PM, Hopeful_guy said:

Curious what effect the IFT issues/backup will have on selection this year.  Anyone know if this is as huge of an issue as they make it seem?

I'm curious about this as well, I posted over in the general discussion forum. I hope you don't mind. 

• 5 weeks later...