GPA Impact

boobooaboo

I need some realistic advice. I'm 26, and my College GPA matches that (2.6). Nothing I can do about that. Short explaination: I worked several jobs/owned a business (wedding photography) and plain just didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I haven't taken the AFOQT yet (will in May), but I did take the ASTB (Active Duty US Navy Selection Test; for those unfamiliar), and got the "minimum" scores needed to move forward with the process. My real goal is the ANG or AFR, one of the points with taking the ASTB was to get Military testing experience (however, I am still hoping to get picked up for Navy Active Duty).

In speaking with an USAF Officer recruiter, he said "I've never seen anyone get picked up in the USAF rated board with a 2.6 GPA." I'm studying harder for the AFOQT, but maybe am coming to realize that perhaps I just don't cut it for Military Aviation. Don't get me wrong - I'm going to study my ass off and do what I can to crush the AFOQT, but I'm having a rough time with the math, even with a tutor.

I will have my PPL within the coming weeks (wx permitting). I have plenty of leadership and volunteer on my resume. I've met with the Chief Pilot of the Unit I'm hoping to join, and know two other pilots there.

Bottom line - do I need to score damn near the top to even have a shot at earning a slot with a 2.6 GPA (non-technical degree)? If you can tell, I'm rambling because I'm a little discouraged at the moment. I'm looking for honesty, so don't worry about hurting my feelings.

Thanks.

There's probably never been a better time to try to get a pilot slot with a less than stellar GPA.  Make them tell you no by applying to every opportunity you can.  Keep studying and get that PPL and if they say no, try again.  I lost count of the number of times I was told no before I finally got a pilot slot.  I was rocking a 2.8 GPA.  Don't give up.

• Upvote 4

What was your major? One of the first questions the board will ask you is "Please explain your GPA?" If you have low AFOQT scores those scores and GPA won't coincide with each other very well, but if you have killer AFOQT scores that will help combat your low GPA.  Ultimately helping to prove you're capable of much more than your GPA on paper. I didn't have the best AFOQT scores but had a really good GPA so my unit knew my mediocre AFOQT scores weren't what I was capable of. I'd study your ass off for 4-6 months and hopefully kill the thing. 

@Magic24 Good advice. Major was Comm/Poli Sci..aka didn't know wtf I wanted to do! I'm a decent pilot, study hard and work harder. I've got an explanation for my GPA, for sure. Studying steadily, but I suppose it's time to hire the expensive math tutor and not kenny from the block...

@RTB; thanks. I'm not giving up...I just need a few beers tonight before I press on in the morning. Glad to hear it's been done by others. I know it has, and I know it's a good time to be gunning for it - so that helps!

2 hours ago, boobooaboo said:

I need some realistic advice. I'm 26, and my College GPA matches that (2.6). Nothing I can do about that. Short explaination: I worked several jobs/owned a business (wedding photography) and plain just didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I haven't taken the AFOQT yet (will in May), but I did take the ASTB (Active Duty US Navy Selection Test; for those unfamiliar), and got the "minimum" scores needed to move forward with the process. My real goal is the ANG or AFR, one of the points with taking the ASTB was to get Military testing experience (however, I am still hoping to get picked up for Navy Active Duty).

In speaking with an USAF Officer recruiter, he said "I've never seen anyone get picked up in the USAF rated board with a 2.6 GPA." I'm studying harder for the AFOQT, but maybe am coming to realize that perhaps I just don't cut it for Military Aviation. Don't get me wrong - I'm going to study my ass off and do what I can to crush the AFOQT, but I'm having a rough time with the math, even with a tutor.

I will have my PPL within the coming weeks (wx permitting). I have plenty of leadership and volunteer on my resume. I've met with the Chief Pilot of the Unit I'm hoping to join, and know two other pilots there.

Bottom line - do I need to score damn near the top to even have a shot at earning a slot with a 2.6 GPA (non-technical degree)? If you can tell, I'm rambling because I'm a little discouraged at the moment. I'm looking for honesty, so don't worry about hurting my feelings.

Thanks.

My $.02 as a guy who spent several years as the hiring guy for my ANG unit:   Are your numbers ideal?  No.  Are they a show stopper?  Not necessarily, unless you let your officer recruiter make your decision for you and decide not to apply.  Anything you get from a recruiter should be considered info only, at best.  Let the pilot board tell you no, don't do it for them.

I'm sure you'll get lots more specific advice, so the last thing I'll add is, get going, because age 30 is a show stopper. 

Edited by 60 driver
  • Upvote 1

Got picked up with a 2.7 in ROTC, that was about 5 years ago when the first knee jerk oh shit we need pilots thing happened. Guard/Reserve is your best bet for AF, things can be explained in a interview, especially if you have great scores on PCSM and are a bro. AF AD, I could see that getting you a RPA slot, and I would advise against that, but still don't hurt to try. 

Bust your ass and try, better to try and fail than to give up and wonder what if. 

Best of luck. 

On 2/17/2017 at 8:53 AM, black hills tj said:

I was selected for an F-16 slot at a Guard unit on my first application, and I have a 2.4.  My guard unit's minimum GPA is 2.0.  Whole person concept.

Good to hear. Thanks all for the light kick in the ass to get back into study mode. Much appreciated.

I got picked up with a below 3.0 GPA for OTS. Took me 3 boards before I was selected.  What helped was work experience and above average/high PCSM score and PPL.  Like it was said above, don't let them make the decision for you. Give it your all and try and try again. You have met the requirements to apply, so go for it (3 times if you have too!) Good Luck!

• 3 years later...
On 2/17/2017 at 9:53 AM, black hills tj said:

I was selected for an F-16 slot at a Guard unit on my first application, and I have a 2.4.  My guard unit's minimum GPA is 2.0.  Whole person concept.

Just a question, I am working on my private pilots license and have below the minimum 2.5 gpa, will I have to get a waiver to even apply how did you get a slot did you rush the unit before they interviewed you?  Do guard units not have to follow the Air Force OTS gpa requirement?  I recently spoke with a fighter unit that said they will throw application packets out that don’t meet the minimum requirements.

Just a question, I am working on my private pilots license and have below the minimum 2.5 gpa, will I have to get a waiver to even apply how did you get a slot did you rush the unit before they interviewed you?  Do guard units not have to follow the Air Force OTS gpa requirement?  I recently spoke with a fighter unit that said they will throw application packets out that don’t meet the minimum requirements.

I could be wrong, but I thought the waiver requirement was for GPAs below a 2.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

20 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought the waiver requirement was for GPAs below a 2.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

All the sources I can find say you need a GPA of 2.5 minimum to apply to OTS.  Does that mean I would need a waiver to apply to guard units?  I have a 2.1 so I would assume if you’re right I would still need a waiver?  How common are gpa waivers do they really even do that?  Feeling discouraged at the moment.  Thanks

1 hour ago, CN38 said:

All the sources I can find say you need a GPA of 2.5 minimum to apply to OTS.  Does that mean I would need a waiver to apply to guard units?  I have a 2.1 so I would assume if you’re right I would still need a waiver?  How common are gpa waivers do they really even do that?  Feeling discouraged at the moment.  Thanks

You won’t need a waiver. GPA requirement pretty much only applies if you’re applying to AD boards.