AFRES Pilot Questions

tacticoolpilot

Question

Hello aspiring AFRES pilot looking for some answers. I have a solid background in computers, and have started down the cyber security career pathway. I have an interest in joining the AF cyber team for the experience and training, but flying jets has always been a lifelong goal. I am attempting to have my cake and eat it too by having a civilian career in cyber as well as being a pilot in the reserves.

1. Whom has a better chance of being selected, with all qualifications being equal, an AFRES cyber warfare operations officer or Joe from the streets?
  2. Would being an officer in a technical field harm my chances?
  3. What are some current study guides for the AFOQT? All of the ones recommended on baseop has complaints on Amazon about being outdated, and/or inaccurate.
  4. Is the "magic" number for flight hours 68+ (in regards to PCSM score)?
  5. If one were to go unsponsored, when are the UPT boards typically held?
  6. What is it like to be a pilot in the reserves? What are your drill weekends like? Is it different from the "traditional reservist" schedule?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Edited by tacticoolpilot

10 answers to this question

69 is the definitive magic number you want.

I don't see how being a cyber officer will hurt your chances in any way other than if you're close to the age limit and don't have enough time to do all that before applying for UPT.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tacticoolpilot said:

Hello aspiring AFRES pilot looking for some answers. I have a solid background in computers, and have started down the cyber security career pathway. I have an interest in joining the AF cyber team for the experience and training, but flying jets has always been a lifelong goal. I am attempting to have my cake and eat it too by having a civilian career in cyber as well as being a pilot in the reserves.

1. Whom has a better chance of being selected, with all qualifications being equal, an AFRES cyber warfare operations officer or Joe from the streets?
  3. What are some current study guides for the AFOQT? All of the ones recommended on baseop has complaints on Amazon about being outdated, and/or inaccurate.
  6. What is it like to be a pilot in the reserves? What are your drill weekends like? Is it different from the "traditional reservist" schedule?

I'll give my $.02

1. Just depends, but I think having a civilian cyber job would be beneficial as you're not legally bound by a commitment in most cases.
2. Again, it just depends... But you still have a commitment that you sign, so I wouldn't sign your life away for a cyber job in the AF if you want to fly jets.
3. Just study all the form S books, but focus on Math Knowledge, Table Reading, Instrument Comprehension, and Aviation Information. Those are the only 4 that count towards the pilot score on the new T version (Arithmetic Reasoning is no longer factored into the pilot score). Make sure you know the new reduced time for Instrument Comprehension (5 minutes instead of 6), and study accordingly. http://access.afpc.af.mil/pcsmdmz/Form T.HTML Use this site in addition to any and all form S study guides. PRO TIP: The book with the F-15 on the cover is excellent.
4. 69 is definitely the best number, but that has nothing to do with the TBAS. On a serious note, even if there was such a thing as a "magic number" (which I'm pretty sure was just misinterpretation), nobody on here would be able to tell you what it is since it violates the test rules (think Fight Club). For most people to get scores in the 90's, you need to be in the 100-200 or 201+ hours column. PCSM 2.0 is highly focused on flight hours, so don't get discouraged if your score looks crappy with 40-60 hours.
5. Unsponsored is only AFRES I believe. I honestly don't have a correct answer, but I think last I heard it was twice a year: once shortly after the new fiscal year, and once in the beginning of the summer.
6. I'm not a pilot, so I'm not qualified to answer this. Also, look into the Guard too because a lot of Guard units fly fighters.

Edited by tk1313
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bobsan said:

69 is the definitive magic number you want.

I don't see how being a cyber officer will hurt your chances in any way other than if you're close to the age limit and don't have enough time to do all that before applying for UPT.

Haha definitely is magical. I am currently 25.5, based on the answers so far I'm guessing I am only eligible for transfer once my contract is up, so that might not be a wise choice for me.

10 hours ago, tk1313 said:

I'll give my $.02

1. Just depends, but I think having a civilian cyber job would be beneficial as you're not legally bound by a commitment in most cases.
2. Again, it just depends... But you still have a commitment that you sign, so I wouldn't sign your life away for a cyber job in the AF if you want to fly jets.
3. Just study all the form S books, but focus on Math Knowledge, Table Reading, Instrument Comprehension, and Aviation Information. Those are the only 4 that count towards the pilot score on the new T version (Arithmetic Reasoning is no longer factored into the pilot score). Make sure you know the new reduced time for Instrument Comprehension (5 minutes instead of 6), and study accordingly. http://access.afpc.af.mil/pcsmdmz/Form T.HTML Use this site in addition to any and all form S study guides. PRO TIP: The book with the F-15 on the cover is excellent.
4. 69 is definitely the best number, but that has nothing to do with the TBAS. On a serious note, even if there was such a thing as a "magic number" (which I'm pretty sure was just misinterpretation), nobody on here would be able to tell you what it is since it violates the test rules (think Fight Club). For most people to get scores in the 90's, you need to be in the 100-200 or 201+ hours column. PCSM 2.0 is highly focused on flight hours, so don't get discouraged if your score looks crappy with 40-60 hours.
5. Unsponsored is only AFRES I believe. I honestly don't have a correct answer, but I think last I heard it was twice a year: once shortly after the new fiscal year, and once in the beginning of the summer.
6. I'm not a pilot, so I'm not qualified to answer this. Also, look into the Guard too because a lot of Guard units fly fighters.

1/2. Right now I'm having a hard time being competitive on the civilian market because everyone wants someone with a few years experience that can jump right in, or someone with an SSBI to start. I was wondering if it would be possible to join the cyber unit to jump start my civ career while I put together my package. I'm inferring from your answer that I would be committed to stay in the field until my contract is up, and only then would I be able to transfer.

3. Thanks for the pointers on study guides. Although I should focus on pilot score for PCSM I should not neglect my AFOQT score due to the "whole person" concept correct?

4. I should clarify on what I meant by magic number. I remember in a few posts that there was a certain amount of hours that was ideal before diminishing returns made it impractical to push for more hours artificially (as in for the sake of hours).

5. What possible reasons would someone choose AFRES over Guard or vice versa? Do people usually go with whichever unit has the air frame they're looking for?

1 hour ago, tacticoolpilot said:

Haha definitely is magical. I am currently 25.5, based on the answers so far I'm guessing I am only eligible for transfer once my contract is up, so that might not be a wise choice for me.

1/2. Right now I'm having a hard time being competitive on the civilian market because everyone wants someone with a few years experience that can jump right in, or someone with an SSBI to start. I was wondering if it would be possible to join the cyber unit to jump start my civ career while I put together my package. I'm inferring from your answer that I would be committed to stay in the field until my contract is up, and only then would I be able to transfer.

3. Thanks for the pointers on study guides. Although I should focus on pilot score for PCSM I should not neglect my AFOQT score due to the "whole person" concept correct?

4. I should clarify on what I meant by magic number. I remember in a few posts that there was a certain amount of hours that was ideal before diminishing returns made it impractical to push for more hours artificially (as in for the sake of hours).

5. What possible reasons would someone choose AFRES over Guard or vice versa? Do people usually go with whichever unit has the air frame they're looking for?

1/2. I get what you mean for sure. I was 3 months out of college, and was thinking "fvck it, I'll just join the active duty AF..." I was taken aside and told to be patient and my stellar GPA would pay off... And it did. I wouldn't know how an AF commitment would work and whether or not you would even be allowed to just say "see ya, I'm off to UPT."

3. Pilot score is part of the AFOQT. I would focus on the pilot score in depth, but would also know a good deal about the other sections just so you don't have 95 pilot and crap in everything else. Also, I didn't have perfect scores all around, but good scores definitely get your foot in the door. The "whole person" concept is much easier to obtain if your scores are a non-issue. I didn't meet anyone who I thought was a huge tool, but I like people in general so...

4. I would just get as many hours as you can afford. Get a PPL so you at least have the option of skipping IFS/IFT. The minimum amount of hours you can get before your score can no longer increase is 201... I can't afford that much on my own, but I can't speak for your personal situation.

5. It seems like AFRES is leaning more towards picking up un-sponsored applicants. I can't tell you because by the time I was rushing units, I didn't visit or even have any Reserve units on my radar. The only guy I know who got picked up with a Reserve unit (to fly F-16's) was enlisted with that unit when he was selected. It seems like people who just want to get into UPT go AFRES un-sponsored because obviously they get into training faster and worry about who they are flying for second. Personally, I was rushing Guard units because they were the ones putting out hiring notices on the boards. There are also a lot of Guard fighter units if you are only interested in fighters.

Hope that helps.
EDIT: I apologize for all the crappy sentence structure, it's been a long day. Just ask for clarification if you need it and I'll be happy to answer as best as I can. Also, remember I'm pre-OTS (so pre-UPT), just to put my answers into perspective.

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

1/2. I get what you mean for sure. I was 3 months out of college, and was thinking "fvck it, I'll just join the active duty AF..." I was taken aside and told to be patient and my stellar GPA would pay off... And it did. I wouldn't know how an AF commitment would work and whether or not you would even be allowed to just say "see ya, I'm off to UPT."

3. Pilot score is part of the AFOQT. I would focus on the pilot score in depth, but would also know a good deal about the other sections just so you don't have 95 pilot and crap in everything else. Also, I didn't have perfect scores all around, but good scores definitely get your foot in the door. The "whole person" concept is much easier to obtain if your scores are a non-issue. I didn't meet anyone who I thought was a huge tool, but I like people in general so...

4. I would just get as many hours as you can afford. Get a PPL so you at least have the option of skipping IFS/IFT. The minimum amount of hours you can get before your score can no longer increase is 201... I can't afford that much on my own, but I can't speak for your personal situation.

5. It seems like AFRES is leaning more towards picking up un-sponsored applicants. I can't tell you because by the time I was rushing units, I didn't visit or even have any Reserve units on my radar. The only guy I know who got picked up with a Reserve unit (to fly F-16's) was enlisted with that unit when he was selected. It seems like people who just want to get into UPT go AFRES un-sponsored because obviously they get into training faster and worry about who they are flying for second. Personally, I was rushing Guard units because they were the ones putting out hiring notices on the boards. There are also a lot of Guard fighter units if you are only interested in fighters.

Hope that helps.
EDIT: I apologize for all the crappy sentence structure, it's been a long day. Just ask for clarification if you need it and I'll be happy to answer as best as I can. Also, remember I'm pre-OTS (so pre-UPT), just to put my answers into perspective.

I don't know if any of our posts will get top marks in an English class but it was coherent, so no worries! Being fresh out of college means my funds aren't unlimited. I'm still looking for my first full time gig, so I'm looking to be as cost effective as possible. Willing to work my ass off to pay for that PPL, but my entire package could use work so I don't want to focus too much on flying hours when the ROI isn't as great. 

I think the answer I got out of it is, just get as many hours as you can, and that makes sense. In your experience do you know how often fighter slots open up? I know there's an F-35 one in Vermont, but I'm hoping to stay on the west coast.

As someone who is also going through the beginning process I find your knowledge valuable. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

9 hours ago, tacticoolpilot said:

I don't know if any of our posts will get top marks in an English class but it was coherent, so no worries! Being fresh out of college means my funds aren't unlimited. I'm still looking for my first full time gig, so I'm looking to be as cost effective as possible. Willing to work my ass off to pay for that PPL, but my entire package could use work so I don't want to focus too much on flying hours when the ROI isn't as great. 

I think the answer I got out of it is, just get as many hours as you can, and that makes sense. In your experience do you know how often fighter slots open up? I know there's an F-35 one in Vermont, but I'm hoping to stay on the west coast.

As someone who is also going through the beginning process I find your knowledge valuable. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

As someone who graduated with a ~3.9 in Aerospace Engineering while working 30-40 hours a week throughout college and even working for a Engineering contractor as an intern on a base at the time of graduation, I understand the struggle. Like I said, I didn't get ANY job offers after 3 months of being out of college. I applied to 150+ jobs, and the company I was working for was trying everything they could to get me hired (they finally did have something open up in Corpus Christi right after I accepted my current job). It honestly took multiple former USAF Guardsmen to convince me to wait it out.

Yes, get as many hours as you can. Here's a list I compiled of fighter/bomber units (package due dates in parentheses) before I stopped applying:
1. A-10 in Boise (Jan 17)... Update: PAST DUE
2. F-15 in Portland (Feb 1)... Update: PAST DUE
3. B-1 in Texas (Feb 1) --> possible T-1 track?.... Update: PAST DUE
4. A-10 in Indiana (Feb 28)
5. F-35 in Vermont (March 31)
6. F-16 in South Dakota (March 31)

Anytime, dude! You'll find this community is a very valuable resource and full of people willing to help out. I've gotten an immense amount of help from them.

Edited by tk1313

On 2/13/2017 at 6:24 AM, tacticoolpilot said:

Next AF Res board is May. As far as competition, the higher the scores the better. The PCSM is a function of your AFOQT, TBAS, and flying hours. I've noticed that as I took different tests, my PCSM was always close to my AFOQT score. I have seen guys with PCSMs that are significantly lower than their AFOQT pilot score and figured that was a function of their TBAS testing. There is a set of flash-cards that will help you with some of the spatial orientation part of the TBAS. The cuttoff varies with your competition and the needs of the AF from board to board, no magic score that will ensure you are good enough. 

17 hours ago, Victor/WhiskeyFlyer said:

How have people been getting in contact with units to get sponsored? It seems Guard units are a lot more open about hunting for applicants. I haven't been able to break that hurdle. 

Someone is welcome to correct me, but I still think Reserves can hire just like guard units. The unsponsored board thing is a separate entity where you get picked up for a slot, fill out your dream sheet either before or during UPT and/or talk with units you want to fly for during that time, then finish UPT and accept the offer you most desire.

Guard does seem more open about hiring. I think the unsponsored thing is what people do when they are more focused on getting into an airplane faster and worrying about what they fly later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

Someone is welcome to correct me, but I still think Reserves can hire just like guard units. The unsponsored board thing is a separate entity where you get picked up for a slot, fill out your dream sheet either before or during UPT and/or talk with units you want to fly for during that time, then finish UPT and accept the offer you most desire.

Guard does seem more open about hiring. I think the unsponsored thing is what people do when they are more focused on getting into an airplane faster and worrying about what they fly later.

TK nailed it. AFRC does and can hire independently. The BUFF/BOne guys are good/recent examples of this. Most of your average heavy units in AFRC will direct you towards an "Officer Accessions Recruiter" in their area who helps them organize the paperwork and vet applicants. That same recruiter can prepare and send you forth for the unsponsored board if you so choose. So, I'd call that area recruiter... or find a number for the Ops desk and go that route.

• Upvote 3