No more off base TDY reimbursement

emer msn

On 2/25/2017 at 9:15 AM, faipmafiaofficial said:

The JTR was written to encourage competition.  "If you don't like your room, just go off base"  That SHOULD cause base lodging to raise their game to get our business.  Competition increases quality of product.  10 times out of 10 Base lodging sucks compared to off base lodging.  Outdated/dirty/broken...etc base lodging rooms are the norm.  Instead of renovating and fixing issues to compete in the market, wing leadership just forces people (up to 5 people in a 1 bedroom, 450 sq ft TLF)  to stay in them and doesn't waste the money to fix anything.  

Good times in the AF right now, good times

Problem is the AF is stuck now in a catch 22, if they were to modernize a hotel, that costs money and to recoup that money they would have to raise their rates which would subsequently raise the on minimum reimbursement for on base lodging. This only makes is more of an incentive for members to seek even nicer accommodations off base. 

On 2/14/2017 at 1:08 PM, ThreeHoler said:

DTMO just overruled AF Finance and told them they were ing stupid.

New off-base rule: "the member that elected to not use available government quarters will now be reimbursed based on actual expense up to the on base lodging rate."

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Hello,

I'm currently retraining and will be getting to Kirtland for IQT in April. I've found much better lodging for $650/month less than what would be charged for the on base rate. ThreeHoler, Do you have any regs or ROEs for getting this paid out? 

7 hours ago, my9thtry said:

Hello,

I'm currently retraining and will be getting to Kirtland for IQT in April. I've found much better lodging for $650/month less than what would be charged for the on base rate. ThreeHoler, Do you have any regs or ROEs for getting this paid out? 

The JTR, If your leadership there has not declared marshal law and forced people to live on base via a memo then you are good to go. I know several people that have completed IQT in both the 130s and whirly birds in the last 6 months there and they all lived off base. Even if there was a memo, you could still live off base and get paid, you could just get paperwork from leadership. 

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, faipmafiaofficial said:

Was just told by Travis finance that I would not be reimbursed for lodging if off base lodging was used when on base is available...Then got emailed back like an hour later saying they would lol

They have to reimburse up to the on base lodging rate per the JTR.

On 2/27/2017 at 5:46 PM, my9thtry said:

Hello,

where's this cheapo lodging?  If it's south of I-40, you may want to re-evaluate your options, or resign yourself to getting your vehicle broken into or stolen.

On 3/10/2017 at 6:17 PM, FlyinGrunt said:

All of Nob Hill is south of I-40, as is UNM . . . am I missing something?

Not that I don't get your point about the no-mans-land between Central and the airport.

it's ABQ.  The TV show COPS originated there.  Nob Hill is between Central and the airport.  Your distance north from I-40 is inversely proportional to the amount of crime you may personally experience.  Nob Hill and UMN are close enough to the turd they get spill-over. 

I apologize my google-fu skills suck on my phone and my work blocks from posting here...
What's the latest on per-diem if staying off base?  Are they still reducing per-diem to 75% if your orders are 31 days+?
Location is Altus of it matters...

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email from the registrar at the IQT schoolhouse in regards to TDY reporting instructions. I have been directed to stay at a hotel outside the base for two weeks and then move on base when on base lodging become available. I appreciate their initiative on taking care of me but the on base lodging looks fairly similar to a detention facility I toured overseas (not being sarcastic), only the roaches look slightly smaller here.

I secured housing off base a month before I received the email from them. I read through this thread to get some info and then referred to the JTR to see if what I am doing (getting off base lodging on a TDY training course) is in fact allowed. Its alright if I don't get reimbursed for off base lodging,  I just want to be able to sleep at night. Can anyone refer me to a  paragraph or page number on the JTR because I am unable to find any guidance.

Thanks for the help!

Not sure the reference, but they can't force you to switch from off-base to on or vice-versa. If they don't have arts available for the full duration when you show up, they are required to give you a non-A and you'll be entitled to the locality lodging and full-rate per dorm for the entire stay.

What he said. 

You only have to check once. If they send you off base to a specific hotel and say come back in X days, I usually politely agree, get all the details, get the piece of paper that says "go to hotel Y for Z days," and then go stay wherever the hell I want for the duration. 

I've never had a voucher not approved for the duration. 

Of course, having the JTR reference helps ... just don't argue with the lodging folks .... take it up with finance on the voucher side of things. 

• Upvote 2

Question.. Schoolhouse CC is directing all students to stay on base where I'm slated for an MWS ACIQ program. "The AO may direct adequate available Gov’t Qtrs use for a DoD uniformed member on a U.S. installation only if the DoD uniformed member is TDY to that U.S. installation." Then the JTR talks about "When adequate Gov’t Qtrs are available on the U.S. installation to which a member is assigned TDY, and the member is directed to use them, and the member uses other lodgings as a personal choice, lodging reimbursement is limited to the Gov’t Qtrs cost on the U.S. installation to which assigned TDY (44 Comp. Gen. 626 (1965))."

Is it true that an AO can order you to stay on base and if you decide to stay off base you can get paperwork? AO just can't punish you by not paying you the on base lodging rate?

Question.. Schoolhouse CC is directing all students to stay on base where I'm slated for an MWS ACIQ program. "The AO may direct adequate available Gov’t Qtrs use for a DoD uniformed member on a U.S. installation only if the DoD uniformed member is TDY to that U.S. installation." Then the JTR talks about "When adequate Gov’t Qtrs are available on the U.S. installation to which a member is assigned TDY, and the member is directed to use them, and the member uses other lodgings as a personal choice, lodging reimbursement is limited to the Gov’t Qtrs cost on the U.S. installation to which assigned TDY (44 Comp. Gen. 626 (1965))."
Is it true that an AO can order you to stay on base and if you decide to stay off base you can get paperwork? AO just can't punish you by not paying you the on base lodging rate?

Yes

A schoolhouse commander cannot order you to stay on base

Maybe, maybe not. But he can give you an LOR and a referral training report (yes, that is a thing) if you don't follow his order.

What gives him/her authority to override federal law?

He's not overriding law. In innovator's example, per the jtr they can't give you a non-a for a specified date range and then order you on base. Likewise, he cannot deny reimbursement if you choose not to stay on base when ordered to. He can legally give you paperwork, however, if you stay off base when order to stay on.