No more off base TDY reimbursement

emer msn

10 hours ago, The-osu said:

Did they change who's running the place down there? Granted I had a Non-A when I went through years ago, but it was entirely a reservist show and they could have cared less where you lived as long as you showed up at brief time. 

If there was one place worse than Randolph lodging, it would have been the Kelly Inn, that place was a dump. Unless you really liked cockroaches, then you'd be just fine.

It's still a reservist run program so I don't know who is requiring it but it's definitely a thing right now

When lodging is directed can a member still turn down on base lodging?

This memo throws things into question...but yes, you can according to the JTR. You are just reimbursed at the on-base rate and per diem specified on your orders, unless you have a non-a.

This "policy", albeit illegal, in my opinion, throws all of that into question and sets you up for a fight.

Does anyone have an actual AF/A1 policy letter or just emails about said memo?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

What are the repercussions of just putting your off-base lodging on your GTC and refusing to pay until you're reimbursed?  Hit on your credit?  Garnished wages?  Paperwork from your CC? 

All of the above possibly, depending on time to get paid and your CC. Also possibly a hit on your security clearance if the debt goes long enough

Sent from my XT1254 using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

19 minutes ago, magnetfreezer said:

All of the above possibly, depending on time to get paid and your CC. Also possibly a hit on your security clearance if the debt goes long enough

Sent from my XT1254 using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

On the other hand it's probably the only way you can highlight the outstanding payment owed by the AF to leadership above your SQ/CC depending on how your base works. If you pay for it out of pocket their GTC stoplight slides will still show green.

28 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

On the other hand it's probably the only way you can highlight the outstanding payment owed by the AF to leadership above your SQ/CC depending on how your base works. If you pay for it out of pocket their GTC stoplight slides will still show green.

And that in a nutshell sums up the problems with the Air Force..."well, our metrics look good, so we must be ok!" 

8 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

FYI. A commander can order you to stay on base (or at a particular hotel), but if you disobey, as long as you still follow the JTR, they have to reimburse you. Your commander can, however, punish you with paperwork for not following an order.

Solid point. The JTR clearly states non-reimbursement can NEVER be used as the form of punishment for not following the JTR (or I would presume any travel pay related mfr like this). Paperwork, etc. is allowed, but that's solely up to your CC. 

This is yet another part of the JTR that without a single doubt makes this act illegal. I'm not an IG fan, but this is seriously worth a few peoples time going to at least the JAG and laying out the facts. If I was in this position, it'd be worth an appointment and an hour of my time. 

1 hour ago, ThreeHoler said:

False.

GTC doesn't show on your credit report at all.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/TopTCPMyths.pdf

Reported as delinquent after 60 days, late fees at 75, pay deduction at 120, and credit report at 210. It also says DOD is required by law to reimburse travelers within 30 days. I'd like to find a citation for that.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/TopTCPMyths.pdf
Reported as delinquent after 60 days, late fees at 75, pay deduction at 120, and credit report at 210. It also says DOD is required by law to reimburse travelers within 30 days. I'd like to find a citation for that.

It says that. But has anyone here ever seen it on their report or someone else's after 60 days?

6 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

New off-base rule: "the member that elected to not use available government quarters will now be reimbursed based on actual expense up to the on base lodging rate."

Meet the new rule, same as the old rule.  I feel sorry for the guy that gets fired over this misunderstanding.  

What's that you say?  Nobody will be fired for a completely illegal TPS report?  Shirley you jest.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 10:07 AM, Lord Ratner said:

FYI. A commander can order you to stay on base (or at a particular hotel), but if you disobey, as long as you still follow the JTR, they have to reimburse you. Your commander can, however, punish you with paperwork for not following an order.

Where does it say they can override the JTR and order you to stay on base? Been looking for a week for this