Goldfein advocating FAA 1500 hour rule change???

189Herk

• 2 weeks later...
On April 15, 2017 at 8:51 AM, GKinnear said:

Your satire is on a level of Andy Kaufman if not more so. You need to stop 'cuz the train has left the fvcking rails. Young, impressionable cadets and Lts don't realize you're using a reductio ad absurdum argument style.

Greg,

You are right.  I am sorry.

• Downvote 2

They are targeting mil guys heavily.  Anyone also browse Airline Pilot Central? A lot of butt hurt from straight civilian guys over mil guys being targeted..

I haven't been on there in a while. Any thread in particular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also what dude had 11,500 hours of mil flight time?? 30+ year CW5 or something?
I knew a guy who retired with 8,500+ and thought that was pretty up there...

It could be, and if so I'd say that person was the 58 year old hire.

31 minutes ago, dream big said:

They are targeting mil guys heavily.  Anyone also browse Airline Pilot Central? A lot of butt hurt from straight civilian guys over mil guys being targeted..

That's not just on APC...you'll find that out in the real world, too.

Statistics don't lie, only statisticians do.  Could the 11,500 hour pilot be a part timer Guard/Reserve type that was flying with a regional until hired by Delta? 

I've not encountered any animosity in the cockpit regarding mil vs civilian.  Heard lots of "I'd tried" or "I wanted to" regarding getting into military flying, however.  Most of those guys are 10+ years as wide body Captains so I'm not hearing too much regret in their voice, though.

Yep. Because the airlines are smart enough to know stop-loss is a viable option and they're going to hire all the military they can get while they're available.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, TreeA10 said:

Statistics don't lie, only statisticians do.  Could the 11,500 hour pilot be a part timer Guard/Reserve type that was flying with a regional until hired by Delta? 

I've not encountered any animosity in the cockpit regarding mil vs civilian.  Heard lots of "I'd tried" or "I wanted to" regarding getting into military flying, however.  Most of those guys are 10+ years as wide body Captains so I'm not hearing too much regret in their voice, though.

Of course everyone In the cockpIt has a job as opposed to tryIng to get one so I suspect that limits the animosity

I'm curious if those high, low, and averages for hours include the multiplier. If not, there are a lot of fighter guys in the Navy/USMC who are going to be waiting quite some time to hit 1,508.

28 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

I'm curious if those high, low, and averages for hours include the multiplier. If not, there are a lot of fighter guys in the Navy/USMC who are going to be waiting quite some time to hit 1,508.

There's no overt multiplier at delta (like there is at southwest)

27 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

Sucks, but they'll qualify for an R-ATP at 750, year or two at the regionals, and at the end of the day they still have mil stink, and Bob's your uncle.

2 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

I haven't been on there in a while. Any thread in particular?

The SW airline getting rid of the 1500 TPIC requirement; it is like the heavy v fighter d measuring contests here.  They come up from time to time!

4 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

1508 hours, I'd love to be that guy.

Pretty sure I know that guy but there could be quite a few.  Guy I know is an F-22 dude whose apps were in the system and updated regularly pre-1500 hours.  Got the interview invite right after updating to 1500.  Hired shortly thereafter.  Still a reservist and living the dream by all accounts...

• Upvote 1

Huh, there was a guy on either APC or FB DAL threads who had an interesting issue.  He bid Capt as a very Jr hire and got it.  But then lost the award because he didn't have a 1000 hours (FAA requirement).  My impression was that he had the restricted ATP and got hired with les than a 1000....and still had less than that a few months into DAL.

Or did I completely misread that and you need 1000 121 before upgrade?

23 minutes ago, sputnik said:

This.  You need 1,000 hours of 121 time to be a Captain.  I've been at DAL for 2.5 years and still haven't hit 1,000 hours, but I also had an 8 month mil leave in there...and I try to avoid work.

nsplayr -- The 11,500 guy was probably a mil/civ guy. 

VMFA -- DAL no longer does a multiplier on airlineapps, I'm not sure about the others.  When I first applied they did something like a .2/sortie multiplier and it actually showed you the updated numbers, that has since been removed.  You're right though, it's going to take a bit for the tacair guys to get to that 1,500 hours.  I went the to regionals, however I didn't get all that much time...I think just checking the 121 container was enough to propel me into the interview pile (hired ~1,800TT...~850 of that was civilian time).  Otherwise, I was just a standard 4-ship flight lead with a mediocre GPA in Aviation...  The pay sucks, but you'll most likely not spend much time there.  Lots of guys spent < 6 months at a regional.  

Edited by SocialD

I did a year at a regional after retiring and before I got hired at my career airline.

I highly recommend it for many reasons.  Yes, the pay sucks, but it will be to your benefit in the long run if you're not getting calls from the majors.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:34 PM, sputnik said:

Huh, there was a guy on either APC or FB DAL threads who had an interesting issue.  He bid Capt as a very Jr hire and got it.  But then lost the award because he didn't have a 1000 hours (FAA requirement).  My impression was that he had the restricted ATP and got hired with les than a 1000....and still had less than that a few months into DAL.

I work with the guy in question. Well maybe. The dude I work with was a DL newhire, but high time fighter/trainer guy, no prior airline. As such, didn't have the 121 hours to hold 88A in NYC, even though his seniority could hold it. No biggie, he's dropping 3 year recall to AD in order to get his O-5 TIG. AFRC wouldn't give him a way into an O-5 flying billet, due to Blue falcons sitting on the pot too long and timing older people like him out. He said nah, not going down like that, so back to regAF he goes for 3 years to collect. ROTC, pretty sweet gig.  So, O-5 retirement check and back to DL with added seniority/pay. People have options these days. Def a buyer's market for those who are getting calls.

Edited by hindsight2020
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...