Goldfein advocating FAA 1500 hour rule change???

189Herk

http://federalnewsradio.com/air-force/2017/04/airline-meeting-beginning-long-road-air-force-pilot-shortage/

From the article

"Thornberry said he’s talked to the military about creating programs that could bring pilots who have left the service back in laterally for a short time to help with the shortage."

(House Armed Services Committee Chairman Mac Thornberry (R-Texas)

The devil will be in the details

4 hours ago, fire4effect said:

http://federalnewsradio.com/air-force/2017/04/airline-meeting-beginning-long-road-air-force-pilot-shortage/

From the article

"Thornberry said he’s talked to the military about creating programs that could bring pilots who have left the service back in laterally for a short time to help with the shortage."

(House Armed Services Committee Chairman Mac Thornberry (R-Texas)

The devil will be in the details

It's going to be funny and sad at the same time to watch those guys they try to pull back in laugh and give the Air Force the finger. 

It's going to be funny and sad at the same time to watch those guys they try to pull back in laugh and give the Air Force the finger. 

Depends. Some might do it in order to inch closer to an active duty retirement. They'll be able to keep their line number, pick their base, and probably be eligible for a bonus that might put pay on parity with, if not above airline FO pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest No2bonus
1 hour ago, ihtfp06 said:

Depends. Some might do it in order to inch closer to an active duty retirement. They'll be able to keep their line number, pick their base, and probably be eligible for a bonus that might put pay on parity with, if not above airline FO pay.

I asked 4 of my bros who fly for 3 of the major airlines if they would return to active duty. One of my bros is currently working his way up from the regionals. They all told me emphatically "no." Even the two that were riffed.

Those that want to inch closer to an active duty retirement are already doing it.  There are a thousand ways to get active points towards retirement.  Orders are pretty common to Tyndall, Scott, NGB, etc.  My old unit - and I'm sure it's true elsewhere, too - has fewer and fewer bums, which means more days/orders for those that are still hanging around.  

Those that don't take HQ-type or local orders have lots of valid reasons; those same reasons will keep them from voluntarily going back on AD.

Not sure when all of the brain surgeons in charge of this train wreck will realize the ARC is the place to throw their money into right now. It's their saving grace. Give us more airplanes, allow us to hire more people, make all of the full-time positions AGR's with AD-like service commitments and big bonus, and give DSG's bonuses also. Let's face it; we're wasting money paying active duty officers to plan Christmas parties and random other events to climb the corporate ladder and stop flying by the time they pin on Lt Col. We need line pilots to do the mission. In the ARC, you essentially have a line pilot for at least 20 years and you don't have to pay him full-time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Gazmo said:

Not sure when all of the brain surgeons in charge of this train wreck will realize the ARC is the place to throw their money into right now. It's their saving grace. Give us more airplanes, allow us to hire more people, make all of the full-time positions AGR's with AD-like service commitments and big bonus, and give DSG's bonuses also. Let's face it; we're wasting money paying active duty officers to plan Christmas parties and random other events to climb the corporate ladder and stop flying by the time they pin on Lt Col. We need line pilots to do the mission. In the ARC, you essentially have a line pilot for at least 20 years and you don't have to pay him full-time.

And make the ARC more like AD?  Yeah that oughta fix it.  :bash:

On 3/30/2017 at 5:11 PM, tac airlifter said:

I bet 1 bottle of whiskey that he will not.  Takers?

Probably not before the meeting, but he may force us to stick around so that he can tell us all about it...

Stop-Loss an Option for Air Force to Stem Pilots' Departure to Airlines

"Everhart said he has already told airline executives that stop-loss is an option. 'I said to the industry... if we can't meet the requirements, the chief could drop in a stop-loss -- and you need to understand that,' he said."

Lol, is he threatening the airlines?!

The final epic collapse of integrity brought to you by the senior leadership of the United States Air Force.

Out of one side of their pie holes they proclaim to "care" and want to address the issues that are causing people to leave.  Out of the other side they go behind your back to Congress to change the 1500 hour rule and threaten the Airlines with Stop Loss. 

Goldfein, Rand, Everhart and the others have abdicated any shred of integrity that remained...I am truly disgusted to say I know them and trusted them.  They can't Stop Loss you forever (the will certainly try), get out NOW!  Don't waste a day if you have the option, this is not going to get better anytime soon.

• Upvote 3

Soooo, just out of curiosity lets say they do enact stop loss and I'm one of the lucky few.  So then what?  I get to keep flying the line with minimal office work until the crisis is over and then I am free to get my line number or do I become a bent pilot?  If I get stop loss will the icing on my cake be a staff job for a tour or a six month deployment to a sunny location where I can hone my PowerPoint skills; all of the above???  

4 minutes ago, Snooter said:

Soooo, just out of curiosity lets say they do enact stop loss and I'm one of the lucky few.  So then what?

There are rules that govern STOP LOSS and I would advise folks to start researching now.  I have not read the legislation, but I believe it has to be for a limited duration...of course that would be the Air Force following the rules.  I think there are also special compensation rules for bonuses and such.

The big problem is now they won't be able to entice people to do a return to active duty. Who would do that knowing that stop loss is looming, and would probably nullify any terms negotiated in their return for 'need of the air force'?

• Upvote 1

This is where I sit back, munch on some popcorn and pat myself on the back for Palace Chasing almost 11 some odd years ago to the ANG after brief, but thorough enough tour of AD. I was a pretty quick learner as a 1Lt. There were tons of us who got out in that first round of Force Shaping in the '05-06 timeframe.

Agreed. Stop loss of the pilot force is the nuclear option - in the end everybody loses. He knows this and must be bluffing.

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network Forums

I'm not too sure that he's bluffing. Just mentioning it as an option is going to immediately breed mistrust among pilots. Threatening stop loss hurts retention; implementing it at least has a temporary "positive" outcome for big blue.

3 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Not that I agree, but you do get paid more if stop loss is implemented.  

Did some digging and it looks like they implemented a $500/mo special pay for individuals that were selected for stop-loss back in the 2009 timeframe which was also paid retroactively.  Seems as though the USAF last utilized stop-loss in 2003. 

Congressional Research paper on Stop-Loss
- Army policy was to stop-loss individuals/units for deployments with a termination at re-deployment + 90 days.
- No mention of USAF policy

Separating as soon as possible seems like a logical choice now.  Not sure how the IRR works -- I wonder how long they can keep you on if they brought you off IRR.

Edited by Standby
  • Upvote 1