Goldfein advocating FAA 1500 hour rule change???

189Herk

7 hours ago, Guardian said:

Tami-21. Solved all of the generals problems. Maybe we should have a Tami-22. What do you think that would look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Man, in retrospect the juice was really not worth the squeeze on that one.  I wonder if the idiot who thought of TAMI21 understands how much long term chaos was wrought for such short term gain.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Man, in retrospect the juice was really not worth the squeeze on that one.  I wonder if the idiot who thought of TAMI21 understands how much long term chaos was wrought for such short term gain.  

Understands??  Hell no!  He's a GENIUS in his own eyes!  He's still riding the wave of his BPZ as a result of the fact that he "Saved the AF $4.3 Billion Dollars..."

22 hours ago, Azimuth said:

All talk and little action occuring, albiet risky, inappropriate action to ease the shortage I've heard of (ex. wash forward UPT studs, undue prof-advance pressure, and push studs through crap training expeditiously)

Do, now, personnel managers/leaders feel the pinch? Are they motivated?

What is the agency cost of a poorly trained and wrong-ORM-balanced aircrew pool? Are bonuses or other changes in USAF status quo worth the very real costs of poor manning management (mishaps, attrition and it's paired new-guy training burden)? Where do the black and red lines of this situation cross? Has anyone tracked these strategic ideas (not just aircrew personnel total chasing)? How bad does it need to be before the entire Gov't beauracracy recognizes, confirms, and recovers? A National Security Crisis confirmed? Will the National "purse" open up? It will cost and our purse will open up in some form or fashion, that's undeniable; whether it be via new training costs or mishap costs or bonuses or increases to USAF quality of life costs. Why stagnate and exacerbate the known problem?

Senior leaders  (ACC, AMC) are writing about it publicly, but perhaps the pot hasn't boiled over yet; or maybe it has and they don't want to admit to "Mom" how bad it is (ex. Finalized Rated retention reports published FY15, FY16?) So...

http://access.afpc.af.mil/vbinDMZ/broker.exe?_program=DEMOGPUB.static_reports.sas&_service=pZ1pub1

....when are they going to address the core grievances to fix the issue? OODA, gentlemen. I'd love to here where they think they are in this OODA loop, and how fast they're reevaluating/adapting? How well are they convincing the bureaucracy for change? And is it working at all levels needed? Is dialog with industry having the affect they desire? Written articles on the subject fixing it? If not, re-enter the loop...or find the heart of the matter by listening to your people and addressing their core grievances. 

17 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

Is that where they force everyone with a DD-214 back to active serve?

British Royal Navy seriously looking at that option to man their new "Big Deck" Queen Elizabeth class carriers. They too gutted their force for the quick and easy cost savings and its now coming back to bite them in the ass.  Imagine being in your late 50s and getting called back... Holy Cow...  

Link: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/766183/Royal-Navy-plug-staff-shortage-urgent-plea-ex-sailors

4 hours ago, Stitch said:

British Royal Navy seriously looking at that option to man their new "Big Deck" Queen Elizabeth class carriers. They too gutted their force for the quick and easy cost savings and its now coming back to bite them in the ass.  Imagine being in your late 50s and getting called back... Holy Cow...  

Link: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/766183/Royal-Navy-plug-staff-shortage-urgent-plea-ex-sailors

I might find a way to be DNIF at my flight physical if that happened.

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

By being honest to the flight doc for the first time ever? 

Yep.  Won't have to use air quotes anymore when she asks how many drinks I have per sitting.

Edited by BADFNZ
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Jaded said:

By being honest to the flight doc for the first time ever? 

Plus, they would have my final medical paperwork from when I left the Air Force...so, all that hearing loss, back pain, etc that qualifies you for 10-20-40% disability would all get brought up, in excrutiating detail.

18 hours ago, Swizzle said:

All talk and little action occuring, albiet risky, inappropriate action to ease the shortage I've heard of (ex. wash forward UPT studs, undue prof-advance pressure, and push studs through crap training expeditiously)

Do, now, personnel managers/leaders feel the pinch? Are they motivated?

What is the agency cost of a poorly trained and wrong-ORM-balanced aircrew pool? Are bonuses or other changes in USAF status quo worth the very real costs of poor manning management (mishaps, attrition and it's paired new-guy training burden)? Where do the black and red lines of this situation cross? Has anyone tracked these strategic ideas (not just aircrew personnel total chasing)? How bad does it need to be before the entire Gov't beauracracy recognizes, confirms, and recovers? A National Security Crisis confirmed? Will the National "purse" open up? It will cost and our purse will open up in some form or fashion, that's undeniable; whether it be via new training costs or mishap costs or bonuses or increases to USAF quality of life costs. Why stagnate and exacerbate the known problem?

Senior leaders  (ACC, AMC) are writing about it publicly, but perhaps the pot hasn't boiled over yet; or maybe it has and they don't want to admit to "Mom" how bad it is (ex. Finalized Rated retention reports published FY15, FY16?) So...

http://access.afpc.af.mil/vbinDMZ/broker.exe?_program=DEMOGPUB.static_reports.sas&_service=pZ1pub1

....when are they going to address the core grievances to fix the issue? OODA, gentlemen. I'd love to here where they think they are in this OODA loop, and how fast they're reevaluating/adapting? How well are they convincing the bureaucracy for change? And is it working at all levels needed? Is dialog with industry having the affect they desire? Written articles on the subject fixing it? If not, re-enter the loop...or find the heart of the matter by listening to your people and addressing their core grievances. 

I heard a SrA at AFPC had the pilot shortage problem solved but the MFR keeps getting kicked back because it isn't formatted correctly according to the tongue & quill...

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Snooter said:

I heard a SrA at AFPC had the pilot shortage problem solved but the MFR keeps getting kicked back because it isn't formatted correctly according to the tongue & quill...

Better make damn sure it's on the 70th Anniversary letterhead too.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
Yep.  Won't have to use air quotes anymore when she asks how many drinks I have per sitting.

That's one of my favorite things I've read on the forums in a long time... Here's how mine always goes:

Medical- "How many drinks, on average, do you have per week?"

Me- "I don't" (and struggle to maintain straight face)

Honest answer- "All of them..."

• Upvote 2

On 2/13/2017 at 2:19 PM, gearpig said:

As to the second, "Good dudes" are seemingly appointed as CSAF only to disappoint later. Why? There is no doubt in my mind Goldfein is a well-informed, well-intentioned, and well-liked leader who knows why pilots leave, and knows it's not money. However, he still has to protect the overall mission, and he's forced to get creative even if it means trying to shackle his pilots to the AF beyond their commitment.

There's only one logical explanation that merits this type of "solution" from someone like him: The CSAF believes changing conditions outside the Air Force is more feasible than changing conditions inside the Air Force. He's essentially admitting, "I can't pay you more, I can't reduce your time away from home, I can't reduce your additional duty commitments and queep, I can't increase support. The AF is a giant runaway bureaucracy and there's not much I can do (aside from letting you push up your flight suit sleeves.)"

Valid point points...however.

There is no denying decisions at the very top, particularly strategic ones are often a choice between two uncomfortable paths.   I liken it to decisions made by senior generals in wartime who know men will be lost in combat and find a way to disconnect from reality as they make choices that will most certainly send men to their death in an effort to save a country or a way of life.  What gets me is the double-speak, the slight of hand, the outright lies as he says one thing to your face then goes behind your back to advocate a lower hours requirement with Congress.  Be a fucking LEADER, stand up and tell the truth to your men and women...Ive done what I can within my power and I am left with no other choice to save the service.  I know Goldfein, Rand, and many of the others and I don't simply understand why they surrendered their integrity.

• Upvote 9

• 2 weeks later...

Can't really think of a good place to post this, but overheard two guys going through MQT talking about the airlines.  Really wanted to say "how about you concentrate passing your MSN check ride and flying the actual aircraft."  Is this the standard coming from UPT now?  

WeatherMan

12 minutes ago, WeatherManC130 said:

Can't really think of a good place to post this, but overheard two guys going through MQT talking about the airlines.  Really wanted to say "how about you concentrate passing your MSN check ride and flying the actual aircraft."  Is this the standard coming from UPT now?  

WeatherMan

Hey, they're aspiring to be professional pilots rather than professional christmas party planners. It's progress.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, WeatherManC130 said:

WeatherMan

Do you not allow them to talk about anything else besides training during MQT?

On 3/22/2017 at 1:49 AM, Jaded said:

Hey, they're aspiring to be professional pilots rather than professional christmas party planners. It's progress.

No shit- I was pulled off the flying schedule once as a LT to attend a christmas party planning event with key spouses and other non vol'd booster club members in JULY.

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2017 at 1:18 AM, whiskeychevelle said:

No shit- I was pulled off the flying schedule once as a LT to attend a christmas party planning event with key spouses and other non vol'd booster club members in JULY.

Ugh sounds so familiar.

break break..

Don't blame these LTs for talking about the airlines during MQT....fear deeply for the state of the Air Force that we have young soon to be copiglets/wingmen already thinking about the airlines.  God we are so f8cked

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2017 at 8:37 PM, WeatherManC130 said:

WeatherMan

Hard to blame them when that is all they hear instructors talking about in the squadron.

• Upvote 2

On 3/22/2017 at 11:18 PM, whiskeychevelle said:

Well you can't expect the wives of the CC and DO to reschedule that important bunco championship or candle party do you?   Thank goodness I never had to deal with that crap as an E on the MX side of the house.