MEPS Criminal History

tk1313

Question

Just had a quick question about the DD2807-2 you have to fill out for MEPS. There is a question that asks if you have or have any history of being arrested or other encounters with law enforcement. I'm guessing they left that part ambiguous as to try to elicit as much information as you remember. I know for the medical and criminal history I was trying to remember ANY time I've even spoken with a doctor or police officer. I put down as much as I can remember, but I'm wondering what they're actually going to be looking at. I am not so much concerned about my history as much as I am me forgetting about something that is a non-issue that I just put in the back of my mind.

So here's the scenario (not my scenario, but much more serious than mine, and a buddy said I could use it):
I was inside my mom's house as a juvenile when she was out of town. The neighbors knew she was out of town, got suspicious, and called the police. The police came, ordered me out of the house, and placed me in handcuffs until they could verify my story. Long story short, they verified my info and story with my mom, and told me that she instructed me to go home (to my dad's house) and that I was in big trouble. They laughed and said that it was better to be in trouble with her than the law, and that I would look back on this in months/years and laugh.

Anyways, is that the type of story that should be disclosed to MEPS? Or is that something where you keep your mouth shut because it won't matter if they find it later anyways (since it wasn't a criminal activity)?

7 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

ANY time I've even spoken with a doctor or police officer

I don't think you need to disclose encounters with police unless you were arrested or convicted of a criminal offense. Refer to excerpt from form SF86 below, I doubt MEPS checks anywhere close to what a clearance investigator would. Similarly, for medical history, I wouldn't list any doc visits in which you weren't diagnosed with a condition or prescribed medication. And I don't mean the flu or cold medicine.

"- In the past seven (7) years have you been issued a summons, citation, or ticket to appear in court in a criminal proceeding against you? (Do not check if all the citations involved traffic infractions where the fine was less than $300 and did not include alcohol or drugs) - In the past seven (7) years have you been arrested by any police officer, sheriff, marshal or any other type of law enforcement official? - In the past seven (7) years have you been charged, convicted, or sentenced of a crime in any court? (Include all qualifying charges convictions or sentences in any Federal, state, local, military, or non-U.S. court, even if previously listed on this form). - In the past seven (7) years have you been or are you currently on probation or parole? - Are you currently on trial or awaiting a trial on criminal charges?"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bobsan said:

I don't think you need to disclose encounters with police unless you were arrested or convicted of a criminal offense. Refer to excerpt from form SF86 below, I doubt MEPS checks anywhere close to what a clearance investigator would. Similarly, for medical history, I wouldn't list any doc visits in which you weren't diagnosed with a condition or prescribed medication. And I don't mean the flu or cold medicine.

"- In the past seven (7) years have you been issued a summons, citation, or ticket to appear in court in a criminal proceeding against you? (Do not check if all the citations involved traffic infractions where the fine was less than $300 and did not include alcohol or drugs) - In the past seven (7) years have you been arrested by any police officer, sheriff, marshal or any other type of law enforcement official? - In the past seven (7) years have you been charged, convicted, or sentenced of a crime in any court? (Include all qualifying charges convictions or sentences in any Federal, state, local, military, or non-U.S. court, even if previously listed on this form). - In the past seven (7) years have you been or are you currently on probation or parole? - Are you currently on trial or awaiting a trial on criminal charges?"

I'm more worried about forgetting something that gets uncovered in a TS background investigation. It seems a lot of people have basically said "Don't admit to anything they can't prove." Seems like that's the common theme... In which case, I probably disclosed more than I should've, but nothing serious that would even be close to requiring a waiver.

Just don't be forgetting anything with more than a $300 fine or that involved drugs/alcohol or else it's not significant for the TS clearance, judging from the instructions on the form.

1 minute ago, Bobsan said:

Just don't be forgetting anything with more than a $300 fine or that involved drugs/alcohol or else it's not significant for the TS clearance, judging from the instructions on the form.

I don't have anything that is even more than $180, and definitely no drug/alcohol violations... Should I have just left that stuff out?

Edited by tk1313

2 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

So, MEPS is bullshit. They get kicks out of making kids squirm. They'll tell you that they're gonna dig into your history, blah blah.

General guidance I received is to not tell them anything that you don't have to.

As an example, they asked me if I had ever been "suspended" during school. Well, I had study hall once for cracking a joke. Technically that included suspension. So, I put it down, trying to be the honest person.

Two hours later, after dealing with so much bs (poked and prodded). You'll finally sit down with a doc. He'll talk to you about what you put down and make a determination of whether it's disqualifying (criminal or academic). I explained what happened in my case, he laughed, crossed out my written explanation and said "Don't worry about it. In the future, don't bother putting it down".

In so many ways, MEPS is a joke. Save the stressing for your FC1. 

Yeah, I've heard the whole "scare tactics" thing is to try to trick you into admitting something small, then using it against you if you don't bring it up in the future... So it's best to just play dumb, and fess up when it actually counts.

In that scenario the individual was simply detained, not arrested.  Big difference.  I would not list it if it were me, and normally I advocate listing anything if there is any doubt whatsoever...

• Upvote 1