Navy pilot to ANG

So my background is I am a Navy E2 Hawkeye pilot that got picked up as a full time reservist flight instructor in the strike pipeline flying t45 goshawks. I plan on finishing my career in the Navy but am wondering if it's possible to get hired by the ANG after. By then I'll be 42, have about 3500 + total time. I've always wanted to fly fighters, would it be possible to get hired at my age? If so, how would that affect my pension which would kick in at 42?

Opinion only, but you're more or less at your decision crossroad now (or at least you need to decide within a few years)...navy or AF. I can't imagine any fighter unit would hire a non-fighter guy at 42. The only 42ish year olds I have seen/heard of getting hired are guys who have flown fighters their entire career, all but one is a weapons officer in the type of fighter the squadron flies, etc. 

Maybe if you do the T-45 gig for a couple years and approach fighter squadrons then, chances are better. But you will kill any real chance if you wait until 42. I won't speak for other communities. 

On 2/3/2017 at 6:40 PM, Seamus said:

So my background is I am a Navy E2 Hawkeye pilot that got picked up as a full time reservist flight instructor in the strike pipeline flying t45 goshawks. I plan on finishing my career in the Navy but am wondering if it's possible to get hired by the ANG after. By then I'll be 42, have about 3500 + total time. I've always wanted to fly fighters, would it be possible to get hired at my age? If so, how would that affect my pension which would kick in at 42?

You would add points to it thus increasing it if you were collecting it but I have only heard of that as a rare exception and always associated with finance problems.  

You would not receive your pension for the days you were in Military Status for the Guard/Reserve unit you would be serving with but recieving drill/at/tp/orders pay.  That pay status though would be adding to your calculated number of points thus increasing your pension.  Clear as mud?  Thus why I have always heard this being a pain in the a$$ that is really not done.  Retired and collecting an AD pension and continuing to serve in the Guard/Reserve.

Not a fighter guy but Brabus' advice is right, if you want to try to fly fighters, make the call now.  I am guessing you would be an O-4 / O-5 if you waited and the more rank you get the less likely you are to be assessed by a Guard/Reserve unit without some other skill/qual/cert that makes you more marketable.  Not saying it doesn't happen just less likely as there are few billets to slot you in and you effectively jump over dudes in the unit already there.

Just curious as I am not completely familiar with FTS in the Naval Reserve but I thought you could apply for a transfer once you were FTS after some period of time?  Could you transfer to an FTS job with a unit like VFA-204?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm looking into the reserve aggressor squadron suggestions. Not sure if that's possible for me as a Hawkeye guy. Can't complain at all since flying the T 45 is a blast. Just trying to see if fighters operationally would be possible.