How's Guam

pawnman

8 hours ago, RangerMateo said:

Did they enjoy it? There's a three year accompanied LNO gig they just sent out (probably what pawnman referenced earlier). We went ahead and put our names in.

Also with the tipping over do houses have backup oxygen generators in case you end up upside down. Guess we should all get a scuba cert....do they mame masks that fit 3 month olds? /s

It was the previous wing weapons officer and he loved it, but was really ready to leave by the end of the tour. Island fever, busy job, and not flying I think we're getting to him. 

Hopefully you were were able to get out there with the 34th to get the lay of the land. 

Can't ask for better leadership than the guys out there now so it should be a great work environment. 

Feel free to PM. I have 3 tours there with the last being a year ago. 

On 2/25/2017 at 5:23 PM, guineapigfury said:

The trick to summoning the hot ones is to grab the Ship's Wheel at the Viking.

This.

You can always stroll down to find the G-Spot. Apparently it's not some made up thing, it's actually a strip club.

The local BBQ is actually quite good. And the hashing club is awesome, if you like drinking. And you can swim out to plenty of the dive sites. When you get island fever, go check out the surrounding islands 

I'm stationed here at Guam and love it.  I admit it's not for everybody.  So I'll offer some general advice and if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

I'm not in the det, but I'm familiar enough.  Be prepared to be a bomber person (not just the MDS you're in now). Be proud of what  experience you bring to the table, be honest about what you don't know, and be willing to learn. Keep in mind that the organization is new, so it's an interesting opportunity to shape the roles.

Keep in mind what the impacts will be to your career in regards to the potential of maybe not flying, being rated by a different chain of command than the rest of the base, etc. It might not make a diffference, but just be aware.

Family life is great so long as your honest with your spouse about what they're getting into. If you like big cities, lots of malls, and need to visit extended family often, you'll be in trouble. If you like any kind of water activity, hiking, or just enjoying the laid back feel of island life, it's awesome.

Island fever is a risk, but there's lots of opportunities to travel. Especially via space A.

Dont plan on getting a house on base since they're demoing most of the houses over the next couple years and rebuilding. Houses anywhere on island are small and basic. So leave the sweaters and unnecessary house clutter in storage before you PCS. Power outages are also common. Also understand that OHA is different than BAH (you don't pocket any leftover money).

Being stationed here is different than being TDY/deployed. For one, you're not living/working/eating/etc with the same house of dudes everyday for 6 months.  If you were deployed here and thought "why haven't they fixed issue X with the mission after all these years", this is your chance to be the continuity and make things right.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Krypto
  • Upvote 1

On March 3, 2017 at 11:56 PM, Sprkt69 said:

This.

You can always stroll down to find the G-Spot. Apparently it's not some made up thing, it's actually a strip club.

The local BBQ is actually quite good. And the hashing club is awesome, if you like drinking. And you can swim out to plenty of the dive sites. When you get island fever, go check out the surrounding islands 

Find Lillian at the G-Spot. You won't regret it.

On March 5, 2017 at 6:21 AM, Krypto said:

I'm stationed here at Guam and love it.  I admit it's not for everybody.  So I'll offer some general advice and if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

I'm not in the det, but I'm familiar enough.  Be prepared to be a bomber person (not just the MDS you're in now). Be proud of what  experience you bring to the table, be honest about what you don't know, and be willing to learn. Keep in mind that the organization is new, so it's an interesting opportunity to shape the roles.

Keep in mind what the impacts will be to your career in regards to the potential of maybe not flying, being rated by a different chain of command than the rest of the base, etc. It might not make a diffference, but just be aware.

Family life is great so long as your honest with your spouse about what they're getting into. If you like big cities, lots of malls, and need to visit extended family often, you'll be in trouble. If you like any kind of water activity, hiking, or just enjoying the laid back feel of island life, it's awesome.

Island fever is a risk, but there's lots of opportunities to travel. Especially via space A.

Dont plan on getting a house on base since they're demoing most of the houses over the next couple years and rebuilding. Houses anywhere on island are small and basic. So leave the sweaters and unnecessary house clutter in storage before you PCS. Power outages are also common. Also understand that OHA is different than BAH (you don't pocket any leftover money).

Being stationed here is different than being TDY/deployed. For one, you're not living/working/eating/etc with the same house of dudes everyday for 6 months.  If you were deployed here and thought "why haven't they fixed issue X with the mission after all these years", this is your chance to be the continuity and make things right.

Hope that helps.

Are you actually named Krypto? I thought I was the only one...damn.

Guam is a poor man's Hawaii.  If you think you could live in Kaneohe for 2 years you can do Guam.  People that hate Guam tend to fall into two categories: those who hate the ocean and those who would hate anywhere they are stationed just because they are miserable.