How's Guam

pawnman

So, I did a quick search (sorry if it wasn't in-depth enough)...but there are apparently two-year, accompanied positions opening in Guam for B-1 folks.  I'm curious what info the forum has regarding Guam.  Is this something I should jump on immediately, avoid like the plague, or something in between?  I'm married, with an 11-year-old.  I've only been in flying positions, both in the line squadron and the FTU, my whole career.  I'm told the Andersen assignment is also flying, but I also know B-1s will only be there for a small time during the two years this assignment would span.

44 minutes ago, pawnman said:

So, I did a quick search (sorry if it wasn't in-depth enough)...but there are apparently two-year, accompanied positions opening in Guam for B-1 folks.  I'm curious what info the forum has regarding Guam.  Is this something I should jump on immediately, avoid like the plague, or something in between?  I'm married, with an 11-year-old.  I've only been in flying positions, both in the line squadron and the FTU, my whole career.  I'm told the Andersen assignment is also flying, but I also know B-1s will only be there for a small time during the two years this assignment would span.

My info is based on 3 deployments there. I would take it over Minot and don't think it would be a bad 2 year gig. The friends I have stationed there love it.  If your into diving, it's some of the best you will find. The ocean there is around 80 deg year round, and the weather is pretty predictable (85 and humid with a chance of rain). 

Good golfing, excellent caving, and countless jungles to explore if you are into that. 

Base is pretty good and majority of the island is either Air Force or navy. 

Toward the end I assume you would get some island fever, but you can catch hops around the pacific to break that up. 

The island itself is about 35x13 miles and may tip over with any additional Marines, but if you are adventurous, you can find things to do. 

There is a touristy area (tumon bay) and the island as a whole is kinda like Hawaii and a shitty part of Mexico had a baby. Very few radio stations, the speed limit is 35 max, broken down cars litter the island, and boonie dogs and chickens roam freely. 

locals, like many places, some hate us and some love us. 

All in all, if they stood up a buff sq there I would take a 2 year there. 

I hope this helps. Feel free to pm. 

I've been there a handful of times during WestPacs and Translants, but never for more than four weeks at a time.

What * said is pretty accurate. I think I'd have a hard time living there for more than a month or two due to its incredibly small size, but it was fun getting out of Japan and going somewhere tropical for a few weeks at a time while we were deployed. Good diving, fair beaches. Tumon Bay is really the only place to go out and have dinner / drinks but it gets old pretty quick.

I do have fond memories of The Beach Bar, however.

Bear in mind... The OG out there is trying to work something out with AFGSC/8 AF for Det 4 guys, regardless of airframe of origin, to get the "senior leader" level qual on the other bomber to be able to still fly and accrue gate months. So there's a decent chance you could get the ghetto version of the Striker Vista experience with no long term commitment while you were out there (kind of like Guam is the ghetto version of Hawaii). The radar sucks ass and comparing CONECT to SB16 will make you want to alternatively cry/throat punch whoever on ACC staff wrote the requirement 15 years ago, but hey, at least there's a place on the jet you can stand up straight.

I can put you in touch with a couple of current Det 4 guys if you want to get the skinny on current Guam life.

4 hours ago, Disco_Nav963 said:

Bear in mind... The OG out there is trying to work something out with AFGSC/8 AF for Det 4 guys, regardless of airframe of origin, to get the "senior leader" level qual on the other bomber to be able to still fly and accrue gate months. So there's a decent chance you could get the ghetto version of the Striker Vista experience with no long term commitment while you were out there (kind of like Guam is the ghetto version of Hawaii). The radar sucks ass and comparing CONECT to SB16 will make you want to alternatively cry/throat punch whoever on ACC staff wrote the requirement 15 years ago, but hey, at least there's a place on the jet you can stand up straight.

I can put you in touch with a couple of current Det 4 guys if you want to get the skinny on current Guam life.

I've got enough gate months that I would have to think REALLY hard about strapping into a BUFF.  Especially since I attended electronic warfare school, so I'd end up in the EWO seat.

I've got enough gate months that I would have to think REALLY hard about strapping into a BUFF.  Especially since I attended electronic warfare school, so I'd end up in the EWO seat.

They'd probably just put you in the old gunners seat. Also, not sure they'd give you the option - wouldn't look great to the deployed squadron if a support unit dude refused to fly with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Also, not sure they'd give you the option - wouldn't look great to the deployed squadron if a support unit dude refused to fly with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Conversely, having random people not actually qualified in the jet fly with you is a pain in the ass, so no one would bat an eye if you weren't calling to get on the schedule. They're your gate months, do as you wish.
  • Upvote 1

Shithole of an island.  Everything worth seeing in Guam can be hit in 3 weeks.  After that, it's groundhog day.  Be sure to hit up McKrauts for some good German beer!   For morning coffee, grab a redeye from Island Girl Coffee n' Quenchers...good scenery there.

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

The Mexican-Hawaiin love child analogy is spot on.  I've actually said the exact same thing myself.  I didn't mind Guam honestly, and I think being permanent party would be a better situation.  My buddy out at Det 4 now has hit up Australia and New Zealand already, and he's been there less than a year, so if traveling is your thing, it could be fun if you choose to make it that way.  Not a long hop to Tokyo from there, either  I did start getting island fever towards the end of my six month trips.  If you have family and take them, I think it'd be a better situation.  All in all, not an assignment I'd actively shoot for, but not one I'd really dread either. 

My wife was on Guam for 3 years as a kid when she was in grade school and her brother a middle schooler. They weren't nearly as far behind when they came home as my sister and I were from our remote Italy DOD school.

Father-in-Law loved it, and that was pre internet age, but he was also a diver so if that's your thing you ought to be able to have a good time.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, dream big said:

Lots of hideous strippers and the local men try to start fights with you just because you are American.  But there is a beach, and good burgers.

they were hot as hell every time I went, you just needed to drink a lot more.

Edited by yzl337
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RangerMateo said:

How's the housing situation out there for families?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

My friends out there have rented hous s off base and they were not that bad. Great view depending on where you go. I mean, with a 15x35 mile island that's about to tip over, you always have an ocean view. 

Edited by *
  • Upvote 1

My friends out there have rented hous s off base and they were not that bad. Great view depending on where you go. I mean, with a 15x35 mile island that's about to tip over, you always have an ocean view. 

Did they enjoy it? There's a three year accompanied LNO gig they just sent out (probably what pawnman referenced earlier). We went ahead and put our names in.

Also with the tipping over do houses have backup oxygen generators in case you end up upside down. Guess we should all get a scuba cert....do they mame masks that fit 3 month olds? /s