How does my package look for upcoming rated board?

tgonzo29

Hey everyone,

I just joined recently and was wondering what my chances are of getting selected for pilot through OTS? I leave the general information below and please give me some tips if you have any advice. Rundown, Active Duty Staff Sergeant, F-16 Avioincs

Aiming for 2018 January OTF.

72 Credits through Embry Riddle, so far GPA is a solid 4.0 (only have 7 classes of graded classwork, transferred 60 credits through CCAF)

AFOQT Scores of Pilot 82 Navigator 46 Academic Aptitude of 40 Verbal of 34 and a Q of 49

PSCM score of 64 (Should be 69 or 71 with continued flying hours)

No LORs on record

3 Achievement Records, 1 Commendation

25 flying hours and growing constantly

6 1/2 years currently in the Air Force

Achievements

57th AMXS BAA (busting your ass award) coined by MXG commander 4rth quarter 2012

Depot Level Maintence-saved 2.1 million dollars on Major Depot level maintenance-coined by Wing commander

Superior performer of the Quarter (2nd) coined by MXG commander

Nickel Amn of the Month February 2015

QA Silver Honor Roll-8 QA passes in Bagram Afghanistan

Red Flag/Green Flag 2016 July Superior Performer

96% percent on 7 LVL EOC-coined by Wing commander

Red Flag/Green Flag 2017 May Superior Performer

Raised 10000$ with Adviocon (Aviano Comic Con)

Assisted in 2014 Food Bazar in Aviano raising 12000$

On 7/13/2017 at 3:10 PM, slamb92 said:

Hey everyone,

I just joined recently and was wondering what my chances are of getting selected for pilot through OTS? I leave the general information below and please give me some tips if you have any advice. Rundown, Active Duty Staff Sergeant, F-16 Avioincs.

Your scores are fine, especially if you're applying for an AD board. That said, it's really a whole-person concept, people with worse scores have been hired, people with better scores have been rejected time and time again. Nothing on your resume looks like a negative, though, so I'd guess your odds are good.

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2017 at 2:59 PM, tgonzo29 said:

Hello All,

I am new to the board.  I have just applied for OTS (as a civilian) for the upcoming rated board.  I have only applied for a pilot slot as I plan on being a third generation pilot in my family.  My recruiter has been great to me throughout the entire process and seems very optimistic about my selection, especially considering the need for UPT candidates. The board is in May.  I believe its 17OT2

AFOQT Scores:

Pilot: 79 Nav:41 AA:37 Verbal: 56 Q: 23

PCSM: 62 (1st attempt)

Flight hours: 49 

FAA Student Pilot Certificate

FAA 1st Class Medical

I am scheduled to have my private pilot license check-ride in February.  (mentioned in my application)

GPA: 2.59  B.A in New Communication Media from SUNY Cortland

Since graduating, I have been working full-time as Operations Manager of a flight training school (yes, i get to fly on my lunch break :D) and working part-time at a restaurant.

Private hockey instructor

Volunteer

Volunteered at church packing lunches for unfortunate kids, 2 mission trips to help rebuild houses for people living in poverty, helped boy scouts get their ice skating merit badges with one of my hockey teams and about to start volunteering at Pax River Naval Air Museum.

Assistant Hockey coach on my little brother's hockey team.

Personal:

Athlete with a 10+ year competitive hockey career (including college and canadian junior hockey) and have been in leadership roles on many teams.

Excellent Physical Condition

Infractions: (all waivered)

3 speeding tickets 1 Public Intoxication 1 Disorderly Conduct (The most recent infraction was 06/2015)

Officer Interview: Couldn't have imagined it going any better.  We hit it off. It was supposed to be a 1 hour interview and we ended up talking for 3 hours.  We spent most of talking about military aviation with some serious questions throw in between.  I wore my best suit, which is ironically the same color as an Air Force service dress uniform.  I had the option of doing a skype interview and elected to buy a plane ticket up to Syracuse (from Virginia) to do my interview.  The officer told me I made an excellent impression, and that he doesn't see my GPA being too big of deal when they look at the whole person concept

LORS:

1 from a former O-5 and my primary flight instructor who was former an F-15E WSO and Fighter Weapons instructor. He vouched for my flying skills, decision making, situational awareness,  and said that I have potential to be an excellent candidate for UPT.  

1 from an O-6 who is a former F-16C pilot and IFF IP.  He vouched for a lot of the qualities mentioned above and said that I have the potential to finish at the top of the class in UPT.  He talked about a lot of my personal qualities and that I would make a great well-rounded officer.

1 from a former Army Warrant Officer/ US Customs/ Army National Guard Blackhawk pilot who has known me my entire life.  He wrote about how i've had a passion for military aviation ever since I was a little kid and have worked very hard to get where I am now in my flight training

1 from a former Air Force enlisted F-16 maintainer who is also a CFI at the flight school and now an FAA Inspector.  He talked about my proven ability to manage the flight school, as well as my passion for learning as much as I can about aviation, as well as being a good student

1 from my guidance counselor whos known me for a long time and knows me very well.

Low GPA/Infraction explanation:

I went through a very rough patch after my mom was diagnosed with cancer, where I racked up both infractions and most of the traffic violations, as well as struggled to put up a 1.5 GPA immediately following.  A year later, she had an aneurysm/stroke which made me get my act together and make this life changing decision to change career paths to become an air force pilot. She recently passed in october.  Its been my primary source of motivation which has been discussed in my interview and is in my package.  I know these areas could hurt me, but I feel like i've done a lot to add to the whole person concept which could really help my chances.

I know i've given you all a lot of information.  My package has been submitted Do you think I have a good shot? Any ways I can improve if I am not selected? I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks :)

Did you get picked up?

• 5 months later...