Army NG to AFNG Questions

I'm looking for some info on possibly joining a local ANG wing.

I've got 11 1/2 years in the Army National Guard. I'm currently a 2LT (I was a CW2 and I Direct Commissioned last year)  qualified in the UH-60 A/L/M as well as the C-12V. I've done one deployment in the C-12 and have about 540 hrs FW and another 525 RW. I'm a PC/AMC in the UH-60. I've been an Army technician for about 7 1/2 years. For the last 4 years I've been working a tech job that isn't flying as a GS-11, eventually hoping to move to a GS-12 or 13 flying position.

Over the past 2 years I've applied for several jobs both AGR and Tech to move on from my current position. Although I've been told I interviewed well for all of them I was not selected. I'm currently going through a GS-13 selection process and if I'm not selected I think I'm going to make a change. I have a local refueling ANG wing here local which is essentially co-located with my Army unit.

I've read several threads about going back through UPT and officer school with the air guard but most of that applied to CW2's that were RW pilots. Does anyone have any experience with prior Army fixed wing transitions for commissioned guys? Also, what is the best way to approach the wing. Should I try to schedule a sit down with the wing commander or try to talk to some pilots that fly there to get a foot in the door with a decision maker? I work closely with the wing BCE who is an O5 and I think he has a good relationship with the wing commander and could probably ask about an interview, but I wasn't sure if this was a good approach.

I am down at Laughlin for UPT. There are some army guys a few classes back that were C-12(and i think rotor as well) for the army but now going to a guard or reserve unit and they are going back through all of UPT... I don't think they had to go back to OTS though. 

I would just go to the unit and talk to some of the pilots if you are interested. If you can find a past hiring board announcement you could start with the hiring POC. Going to a friend of the wing commander is maybe to much...

Perhaps I could offer a little insight. I am currently going through the transition from the ARNG to the AFRES. I am a Warrant and RW only guy (have a few FW hours on my own dime) so my experience may differ from yours. First place I started was, like thingsthatfly stated, with the unit's hiring POC/Officer Accessions recruiter. After talking with him/her, you'll have to put several packets together. You'll have to complete a Class I Flight Physical and get a Conditional Release signed from your unit. You may or may not have to take the AFOQT and TBAS (I had to bc of being a WO). Then get a working relationship with the Chief Pilot and/or network with the pilots of the unit you are trying to go to, as they will be on your board. As a WO I have to go to OTS then to the full SUPT. As far as I know since you are commissioned you won't have to go to OTS, even though you will have to go to the full- SUPT as there isn't an equivalency from Army IERW to AF SUPT (like there is for the Navy/USMC guys). Additionally, the AF doesn't recognize the C-12 course as an equivalency to SUPT. I'm sure others on here can offer better clarification/insight. I hope this helps.

So do the normal age limits apply for that then? Or do they age waiver prior Army flyers? It just baffles me that the Air Force won't look at an Army high time c-12 pilot any differently from a guy off the street, then send them through the full undergraduate pilot program. It just seems like a massive waste of money, time, and talent.

Edited by magnus017

I didn't need a waiver but my buddy who is doing the same thing acquired an age waiver easily bc he is an already rated military aviator. Side note: I agree that it doesn't make sense, especially bc the training is very similar. Additionally that a CW2-CW5 have to go to OTS even though they are technically commissioned by the POTUS, not appointed by the Sec of the Army like a WO1. However, that's what is being propagated. It should be noted that I'm finding out all these things bc I'm the first from my area to make the switch in a long time.

I'm not totally surprised by it, as the Army FW program really isn't as in-depth as the Air Force UPT. But having gone through a full RW Qualification with the Army and then another FWME Qual totaled nearly 21 months of school for me. I don't think I can suffer through another flight qualification pipeline at this point in my life. I'm approaching age 32 and I just don't feel like starting from the beginning again especially after already having a 9 month FW deployment and accruing over 1K mil hours.

Edited by electron_si
  • Upvote 1