Call from Recruiter

(Posting for S/O)
Hello! 

"I have posted a few months ago about my chances to getting selected for a pilot slot in the rated boards in February. My question now is this: My recruiter called me and told me my commander that I interviewed with put me as top of my class that is going for the same boards. While I am elated, I want to know how much this is going to help my chances to get into the boards? Does this have a lot of pull or is it just a formality? I will attach my last post so you can see my test scores and background."

24 Years old. My degree is a BA in Theology, I have a 3.6 GPA. I have years of experience in managing positions with numerous people under me. I also have a lot of leadership and community service experience. 
I am NOT ROTC so I am applying for an OTS position. Here are my scores for my AFOQT 78/85/37/57/23. I do not have any flight hours at all, so that puts my PCSM at a 40, of course if I had flight hours it would be in the 70's. 

Thanks so much! 

Edited by BriannaNicole

Your degree and GPA are probably fine. Theology sounds like a pretty unique degree as far as pilot applicants are concerned. Your AFOQT and PCSM scores are really low. I think the average on the board I was hired on was over 90 for PCSM and 80's and 90's on AFOQT scores, and it was a fairly lenient board in my opinion, due to low number of applicants - and this was pretty recent. Everyone had a PPL too I think.

My recommendation - study up and take those tests again and work towards getting a PPL. Although if you're applying to the February board I guess you're kind of stuck with what you have at the moment. See if you get picked up, and if not, work on scores and PPL. 

Edited by bb17
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kiloalpha said:

Ah, gotcha. I guess I'm misunderstanding your question then. You reference a commander's ranking but you're not ROTC or Enlisted. What commander are you talking about?

When you go through the process of applying for OTS, after you're done with the tests and paperwork, your recruiter sets you up with an interview with the commander of wherever they are located. Mine just happened to be in Nashville at the MEPS station. So, after that interview, the commander filters through their applications and ranks them according from outstanding to not so much. They then send those packets to the board along with the commanders comments and rankings. My recruiter called me to tell me that I was ranked "top of my class", which just means #1 out of all people that commander interviewed.

On 1/20/2017 at 11:44 AM, tk1313 said:

6/9 PCSM.... What? Think those guys were like "Eh, I don't want to be a pilot anyway..." then propped their feet up on the keyboard and ate potato chips for 1.5 hours...

I saw those that had really low PCSM scores and it blew my mind until I talked to my commander and his first PCSM was a 9 and it made me feel so much better about mine lol