Waiver for anti-depressants: Air Force Pilot

GoGoJuice88

Hello! I'm a former Navy pilot who left active duty about 9 years ago, but I'd like to fly for the Air Force Reserves. 8 years ago I was (wrongly) prescribed antidepressants for less than 5 months and am now wondering if I will be disqualified.  I have this letter (below) from my physician that states I did not have a mental disorder.  Any thoughts on whether or not I'm screwed?  No recurring symptoms or medical conditions.  Many thanks!!! GoGoJuice

"To Whom it May Concern:

Approximately eight years ago, patient was prescribed an antidepressant (Effexor) for less than five months.  At the time he was suffering from mild depression and anxiety, and was having trouble sleeping due to frequent nocturia.  

Several months after starting the Effexor, patient had a surgical procedure to remove a small benign bladder lesion, after which his nocturia and night awakening stopped.  

Once patient was no longer waking up frequently due to his bladder issue, his mood and anxiety improved and he no longer required the Effexor.  

It is our belief that his mild depression and anxiety were related to frequent awakening and not due to a mental disorder.

Sincerely,

DR X"

You will very probably get a waiver.  The letter alone doesn't mean much--get a copy of the clinical notes, essentially the medical record they generated for your treatment at that facility.  Give that to your recruiter, and they'll process the waiver request.