Voluntary Return to Active Duty (VRAD)

On 1/16/2017 at 10:36 AM, CrateOfThunder said:

Anyone done this recently? If so,

1) Is VRAD USERRA protected?

2) Are VRAD pilots ARP eligible?

3) Pros/cons you have found so far.

Thanks!!

It's VLPAD now. It is title 10 so it's USERRA.

I doubt you'll get the bonus.

In case you haven't checked out the mypers link

https://mypers.af.mil/app/answers/detail/a_id/30624/kw/VLPAD/p/16%2C17

Edited by LookieRookie
Edited

One of our young guys was all set to do a similar program - going to PCS to Kadena for a 3 year tour as a ANG guy.  Sounds great right? 

B) False

We got the details and turns out you have to leave the ANG, get into the AD.  You have no rights to your ANG job after your tour, you could get stop loss, you are in the bucket with everyone else (and likely under the hammer from your new boss) for non-flying 365's, etc.  It sounded a whole lot like GFY...

• Upvote 4

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, Duck said:

That sounds about as good of a deal for the Air Force as offering passed over Capts continuation to 20!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Is the AF actually doing that? The Marine Corps started doing that this year, tacking on an additional 3 years to one's commitment automatically, unless the individual seeking to depart jumped through hoops over the course of only two weeks.

Is the AF actually doing that? The Marine Corps started doing that this year, tacking on an additional 3 years to one's commitment automatically, unless the individual seeking to depart jumped through hoops over the course of only two weeks.

Yeah brother. After the second pass over for O-4, lately EVERYONE who is an 11x, has been offered continuation to 20. It is still the Pilot's option to accept it. If he does nothing or turns it down he has to separate NLT 6 months later. He does have the option to submit an earlier separation date, it just can't extend past the 6 month timeline.

You Devil Dogs are still on 8 year Pilot Commitments right?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Duck said:

Yeah brother. After the second pass over for O-4, lately EVERYONE who is an 11x, has been offered continuation to 20. It is still the Pilot's option to accept it. If he does nothing or turns it down he has to separate NLT 6 months later. He does have the option to submit an earlier separation date, it just can't extend past the 6 month timeline.

You Devil Dogs are still on 8 year Pilot Commitments right?

I see. Our continuation relates to twice passed O-3s because they can't get any Captains to stay, but it sounds generally like what is happening in the AF apparently. There has been rumor of stop loss in the Hornet and Osprey communities though...

We are. When I winged it was 8 years for jets and other fixed wing aircraft, and only 6 for helos. I think it's 8 across the board now.

Dude - Just let us train. Allow us to be fighter pilots inside the cockpit and out. And stop making us do countless collateral duties / BS training which has become our primary focus.

Retention problem solved.

I see. Our continuation relates to twice passed O-3s because they can't get any Captains to stay, but it sounds generally like what is happening in the AF apparently. There has been rumor of stop loss in the Hornet and Osprey communities though...
We are. When I winged it was 8 years for jets and other fixed wing aircraft, and only 6 for helos. I think it's 8 across the board now.
Dude - Just let us train. Allow us to be fighter pilots inside the cockpit and out. And stop making us do countless collateral duties / BS training which has become our primary focus.
Retention problem solved.

Sorry I meant passed over Captains as well! Sounds like we're in the same boat.

If anybody is looking to pickup Title 10 orders, without the pain of returning to AD let me know. I am a traditional ANG guy but currently on ADOS orders to the Pentagon. There are a lot of orders they are looking to fill up here. I work on the Joint Staff for the NGB, and I'm leaving in July and they will be looking to replace me here. Let me know if you are interested. You can do orders anywhere from 6 months to 3 years (1095 rule). It is great being a free-agent!

On January 20, 2017 at 2:31 PM, BONE WSO said:

If anybody is looking to pickup Title 10 orders

orders to the Pentagon.

Joint Staff for the NGB,

Let me know if you are interested. 

I'll refer you back to Fuseplugs post.

Edited by SocialD