Marine MV-22 Pilot to ANG

I am currently a Marine MV-22 Osprey Pilot. I love flying the Osprey and I love being a Marine. However the fleet has been tough on my wife and kids and I'm not sure if my family will be able to take another 13 years of this before I retire. My initial commitment will be complete in a couple of years and I am considering applying to one of the Air National Guard Unit at my home state which operate F-16 and C-130s. I've done some research on the transition process, however I've been unable to find specific answers as to how the ANG will look at my Tilt-Rotor time in regards to UPT. From what I can tell CV-22 pilots only fly the T-6 and UH-1 in flight training. However in the Marines we also do a syllabus very similar to the C-130 pilots in the C-12. I imagine I would head straight to the training squadron for the Herc if hired. As far as the F-16 goes, would I even be considered for the position? If so and if I am able to get hired will I be required to do the full UPT syllabus and meet the age requirement (I'll be 33 at the time of my EAS)?

Did you get a checkride in a fixed-wing airplane at primary, T-6 or T-34? If so, you are GTG. If not, you'll likely have to go to UPT. We recently hired a Marine MV-22 bubba. Took right at a full year before we were able to swear him in. So, if interested, get the process started as soon as you know you are going to pull the trigger. Have a plan to support yourself for at least a yr during the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

9 hours ago, herkbum said:

Did you get a checkride in a fixed-wing airplane at primary, T-6 or T-34? If so, you are GTG. If not, you'll likely have to go to UPT. We recently hired a Marine MV-22 bubba. Took right at a full year before we were able to swear him in. So, if interested, get the process started as soon as you know you are going to pull the trigger. Have a plan to support yourself for at least a yr during the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

We did the full syllabus at primary. About 90 hours in the T-6 and soloed twice. Advanced was in the C-12 another 80 hours and soloed as well. The only pure helo time is about 40 hours in the TH-57 in Intermediate. Being an Osprey guy we have more in common to a fixed wing pilot than to a helo pilot. Most of our time is in airplane mode as a twin engine turboprop. The Osprey is definitely more of an airplane that has the ability to land like a helicopter than the other way around. I spoke with a Harrier guy that was making the transition to the V-22 and he was "impressed" that we do the overhead bread at 250 knots. The tilt-rotor can do a lot of amazing things in the air, and I feel my experience in the thing can set me up to be successful in another platform as well. My concern is that if there is still a widespread perception that the V-22 is only a helicopter, that fixed wing guys will not even look my way. From what I'm getting from you herkbum it'll be a "easy" transition going to the Herc. If there aren't any positions available at the unit close to my home my other option would be the F-16's. I feel like I might have a tougher time selling myself to those guys. 

Edited by Phrost_Bite
typo error

Did you do any Strike training during your pilot training pipeline? If not, it will make things more difficult but not insurmountable if you find a unit to hire you and sponser your package (sts). First, you would probably have to do some sort of T-38 top off program so you are familiar with the jet you'd be flying at IFF (Intro to Fighter Fundamentals). Then IFF for 3 months.  If that was completed, get ready for the centrifuge and the 9G profile, followed by a full up 9 months of the B-course before you make it back to your unit to start MQT.  Again this isn't impossible but most units looking to hire a dude with prior flight time, don't want to have to send him through an entire fighter pipeline to get a qualified dude (in my limited experience). If it was switching from another fighter/strike platform, that'd be a lot simpler. 

3 minutes ago, mp5g said:

Did you do any Strike training during your pilot training pipeline? If not, it will make things more difficult but not insurmountable if you find a unit to hire you and sponser your package (sts). First, you would probably have to do some sort of T-38 top off program so you are familiar with the jet you'd be flying at IFF (Intro to Fighter Fundamentals). Then IFF for 3 months.  If that was completed, get ready for the centrifuge and the 9G profile, followed by a full up 9 months of the B-course before you make it back to your unit to start MQT.  Again this isn't impossible but most units looking to hire a dude with prior flight time, don't want to have to send him through an entire fighter pipeline to get a qualified dude (in my limited experience). If it was switching from another fighter/strike platform, that'd be a lot simpler. 

No strike training in the V-22 pipeline. The jet guys that I personally know that have transitioned to the V-22 say the performance of the Osprey doesn't compare to the jets they flew (obviously) but the type of tactical formation profiles we regularly fly do translate over well. My mentor from flight school was a retired F/A-18 stud that actually selected Cobras outta flight school and had a unique opportunity to transition to Hornets back in the early 2000's. They basically put together an abbreviated syllabus in the T-45 to get him some jet time before he went to the Hornet RAG. It sounds like if I someone is willing to hire me I'd be doing something very similar. What typical things would make me a stronger candidate since I'm not a jet guy by trade? Fit Reps, Quals, Personality? 

Everything you mentioned helps. If this is something you're interested in pursuing further, the best thing you can do is visit the unit early and often. Let them know your story and what you are wanting to do. If you are a good dude, then you may have a shot. If they don't think you're a good fit, I'd hope someone would pull you to the side and let you know so you don't continue wasting your time.  

There's a T-38 TX syllabus (F-V5A-P) that qualifies non T-38 UPT guys for IFF. You can find it on here  https://www.my.af.mil/etcacourses/default1.asp

And in AFI 11-401 Table 2.1 line 9  & paragraph 2.3.1 you should be good to go since you did comparable training. In fact, some USAF C-130 bubbas only did navy training back when the C-12/T-44 pipeline was open. T-34 at Whiting then to Corpus. AETC A3 looks to be the final approval authority though. 

Edited by LookieRookie

Thanks for all the replies. How early would be too early to start talking to units? I haven't made any decisions yet since I'm still a lil' under three years away from my EAS, but I know the selection process can take a pretty long time. I'd like to make myself friendly, but at the same time I don't want to burn any bridges or appear indecisive. I've looked over the gouge out there on the "Gold to Silver Wings" transition about putting a package together. Would you all suggest I have something to submit when I make contact or would a phone call and/ or email suffice?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Consider some casual visits around the 2 year out point.  From the Viper perspective, you have an uphill battle since there's a lot of current/qualified dudes getting out, and my guess is that changes little over the next two years.  BUT, that is not to say you cannot make something happen with the Viper SQ you're considering.  Be a good dude, show you're interested (via visits), and don't get discouraged if you're fed a doom-and-gloom story at first contact.  Things change rapidly, and nobody honestly knows what it'll be like in 2-3 years, we can only guess.  If you really want to transition, keep an open mind on location - if your desired SQ is a no-go, doesn't mean another won't work.  In the end, just get into the ARC family and you can always transfer squadrons a few years down the road.  Good luck man.

I can't speak for the operational side since I'm still in training but you should know that CV-22's are dropping to both T1 pipeline guys and TH-1H rotary pipeline guys. I understand it to be more common to T1's now and have heard the schoolhouse finds the fixed-wing time to be more appropriate preparation for the Osprey than the rotary side. I guess what that means to you is the Air Force understands that there is a lot of crossover between fixed wing and tiltrotor so I wouldn't be too worried about any stigma.