NVIS filter for EFB?

stract

For communities with EFBs, and who fly with them at night on NVGs:

1. Do you have an NVIS-compatible filter for your EFB?

2. If so, who made it/where was it procured?

Looking for an NVIS filter film/glass of some sort for iPad minis that won't negate the touch screen capes.  I assume there's already a govt-approved solution out there, so please share what you know.

it's not my iPad, it's for the F-16.  Is Invert Colors truly NVIS compatible?  Otherwise it's just a short-term work-around to a long-term problem.  And I'm looking for the long-term solution.  But thanks for the suggestion!

Found this:

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2012/06/having-trouble-viewing-your-ipad-with-night-vision-goggles-theres-a-filter-for-that/

and this supplier:

http://www.consolite.co.uk/nvg-filters/ipad-and-tablet-filters/

Both MIL STD 3009 compliant but no idea if GPC eligible.

Follow on, just a red light filter you might be interested in, doesn't advertise frequency blocking for NVG operations but if you're interested:

http://www.siriusastroproducts.com/products---red-eyes-computeriphonedslr-light-shield.html

Edited by Clark Griswold
tidbit
  • Upvote 1

PM sent.  I found this list on a Navy document (thanks CNATRA for posting things online):

a. WAMCO P/N FPDC212-IPM-002 for iPad Mini
b. KORRY NIGHTSHIELD P/N 50051-001 for iPad Mini

Would be curious to see what the AATC folks came up with.

1 hour ago, hispeed7721 said:

All the new generation iPads being issued at Hurlburt have a useable filter for when we're on NVGs. The old gen iPads just had to do the invert colors as posted above but it sucked, although the new filters are actually pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Can you find out specifics on the filter?

On 1/14/2017 at 5:57 PM, stract said:

For communities with EFBs, and who fly with them at night on NVGs:

1. Do you have an NVIS-compatible filter for your EFB?

2. If so, who made it/where was it procured?

Looking for an NVIS filter film/glass of some sort for iPad minis that won't negate the touch screen capes.  I assume there's already a govt-approved solution out there, so please share what you know.

I've got an answer for you, but I'm TDY away from my Personal Folder...and ACC still has 99MB Mailboxes. I went to the EFB conference last year and met with one company that develops them directly with AF approval built-in (and MIL-STD). Its also designed to fit in the front of the lens cover of an Otterbox. They make a few different models for the Mini...like glare resistant to stay on all the time or just NVIS temporarily, but it scales with money. Is money a direct concern? or classic Fighter Budget-Dust?

How many are you looking for? Or just testing for you?

If you're not using Otterboxes...can you let me know which, so I can verify compatibility when I reach out and connect? (STS)

P.S. Disclaimer...Not a salesperson...an actual crew dog.

Edited by TSSRShot
  • Upvote 1

On 1/16/2017 at 9:06 PM, TSSRShot said:

I've got an answer for you, but I'm TDY away from my Personal Folder...and ACC still has 99MB Mailboxes. I went to the EFB conference last year and met with one company that develops them directly with AF approval built-in (and MIL-STD). Its also designed to fit in the front of the lens cover of an Otterbox. They make a few different models for the Mini...like glare resistant to stay on all the time or just NVIS temporarily, but it scales with money. Is money a direct concern? or classic Fighter Budget-Dust?

How many are you looking for? Or just testing for you?

If you're not using Otterboxes...can you let me know which, so I can verify compatibility when I reach out and connect? (STS)

P.S. Disclaimer...Not a salesperson...an actually crew dog.

gathering options to present to a customer.  Had an interesting brief/demo today from one such company, might be the one you're referring to.

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2017 at 11:03 PM, stract said:

gathering options to present to a customer.  Had an interesting brief/demo today from one such company, might be the one you're referring to.

Cool! Good deal then. Let me know if you get stuck. I don't know a lot of things, but I know a few dudes/girls who do. I'm doing my best not to let the man get us down! 

Make sure you get the option with a place to store them on the backside. That shit is pivotal. You'll break or lose half of them to human factors. 

TSSRShot

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/2/2019 at 1:36 AM, Dickie said:

I'm trying to find some filters atm, do you have a name of the company? Looking for something that can stay on 24/7.

check out Cevians, their VKK filter is bonded to the screen (but it's pricey).

Edited by stract

White phosphorus NVGs are also a lot more forgiving than the greens with screen glare.  If any of you are moving that way NVIS EFB filters may not be required.

Add- I have never used an NVG filter, just night modes and low brightness.  Started with it on my knee now it's at my 10 or 2 o'clock suctioned on the window.  CSO laptops make more glare most nights.

Edited by AFsock

Same here. I wear it on my knee but turning down the brightness works for both ForeFlight moving map, instrument plates, and PDF documents in GoodReader. I can tell there is a screen there when I look directly at it but it does not cause blooming. I don't know if the canopy reflection in the Viper would be an issue.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hawg15 said:

People use EFBs in flight for more than just checking ILS approach plates?

When you’re flying half way across the continent in an airplane whose avionics are out of the 60s, yeah. Plenty of VFR charts inside that thing. That and it keeps 6900 pages of expanded -1 out of the cockpit. 

You can also do color filters and reduce the white point (all under the accessibility section). Not a 100% solution but makes graphics and pictures not all sorts of weird colors.