The Congressman is back yo

congressman

Just got the official email today. Over 6 years goes up to $700 and over 12 goes up to $1000. Effective 01 Oct. memo signed 01 Jul. 

Well $50/150 doesn't do crap to keep up with inflation, but I'll take a little extra beer money.

• 7 months later...

Congressman, I have a DFAS SBP issue. Hubby ( deceased in 2013 0-6 pilot) and I started paying into SBP in 1997. He died. It took me six months to begin SBP for minor children (2...during a gov shut down). Went smooth for 1.5 years then both got overpaid one month. I paid $650 back on 13 yo. Oldest cropped below full-time in college a few semesters but ultimately should have been reinstated. DFAS owes her about $10,905 ( plus the 5% they want to screw her out of for their bad record keeping) instead she got reported to collections and couldn’t even get a tuition loan. Youngest daughter became eligible for the entire monthly entitlement. ( oldest got married). DFAS 1099 claimed they overpaid by some exorbitant amount they pulled out of the air so I asked for an audit and to correct the bogus 1099. Right now, DFAS owes my youngest over $85,000 as they stopped her Annitant pay in late 2015. I got a congressman in AR to look into this early 2016 and that made it worse as DFAS marked my then 14 yo as Married on My Pay. I’ve called them every month or two since Dec 2015 and it’s like banging my head on a wall. When I was active duty or in the Air Guard, I never had problems with pay. This is my “ only Child Support”. This has been in an “ escalated Status” for the past 1.5 years now. I’ve learned to ask for a Tier 2 Annutant representative when I call DFAS, then wait on hold for an hour only to be fed a bunch of lies. Might as well be getting answers from Sarah sanders. Useless. My QUESTION  now is should I CALL UP MY CONGRESSMAN AGAIN or should I FILE AN IG COMPLAINT. PS. The volunteer for the retirees on base can’t help either...I’ve asked. 

• 11 months later...

So putting aside the border politics, this article highlights over $1B in available bonus and incentive money sitting on the budget floor, yet the decision to limit pilot bonuses to $35K and not renegotiate for higher dollar amounts remains DoD status quo. What say you?

https://apnews.com/ba6c2bc1fa024393801131bfbaa9cd89

8 hours ago, war007afa said:

So putting aside the border politics, this article highlights over $1B in available bonus and incentive money sitting on the budget floor, yet the decision to limit pilot bonuses to $35K and not renegotiate for higher dollar amounts remains DoD status quo. What say you?

https://apnews.com/ba6c2bc1fa024393801131bfbaa9cd89

The amount doesn’t  matter. Not when it is still connected to a longer contract for indentured servitude. 

21 minutes ago, IDALPHA said:

The amount doesn’t  matter. Not when it is still connected to a longer contract for indentured servitude. 

True for you. Not for all. Show us the money and let the market sort it out.

Edit to add: preserving options to leave would only help. The service commitment functions as a multiplyer on the bonus of somewhere between 0 and 1 depending on the individual’s situation. 

Edited by jice
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, IDALPHA said:

What purpose would a bonus with no commitment serve for the Air Force?  I'd love to get paid to not come to work, but that's just not in the cards.

HASC NDAA FY20 version just renews last year's offer...present "business case" does not appear to be max -performed yet thus no bureaucratic justification or urgency to change policy yet. However, as everyone knows, that's faulty logic considering the pilot exodus trend is accelerating not in govt's favor...

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-115hr5515rh/pdf/BILLS-115hr5515rh.pdf

For me, the bonus release this January will determine my future.  If it substantially increases (at least 55k/year) or move to the professional pay that was thrown around I would CONSIDER staying.  I’m giving the AF one last shot to fix itself.

Another thing I think they could do to sweeten the deal would be to offer us an early (15 year) retirement.  It could be a win/win, letting us help bridge the gap while the AF figures out it’s experience/numbers problem, and then we can get out with a retirement while not severely hurting our seniority numbers (since most of us are around 12 years once our UPT ADSC is up).  But I figure that’s a good deal so we will never get it.

2 hours ago, DuckHunter said:

If it substantially increases (at least 55k/year) or move to the professional pay that was thrown around I would CONSIDER staying.  I’m giving the AF one last shot to fix itself.

My friend's Excel worksheet still says he needs $72k/year to make it worth it for him monetarily... but I think $55k would probably do it for him given he just got the assignment he wanted.

For me, the bonus release this January will determine my future.  If it substantially increases (at least 55k/year) or move to the professional pay that was thrown around I would CONSIDER staying.  I’m giving the AF one last shot to fix itself.

Another thing I think they could do to sweeten the deal would be to offer us an early (15 year) retirement.  It could be a win/win, letting us help bridge the gap while the AF figures out it’s experience/numbers problem, and then we can get out with a retirement while not severely hurting our seniority numbers (since most of us are around 12 years once our UPT ADSC is up).  But I figure that’s a good deal so we will never get it.

Pipe dream. It is locked by law at $35K and the Services have no intention of requesting more.

Also, why would they pay you for the rest of your life to walk at 15 years when they want to retain a % to 20?

54 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

Pipe dream. It is locked by law at $35K and the Services have no intention of requesting more.

Also, why would they pay you for the rest of your life to walk at 15 years when they want to retain a % to 20?

No doubt it’s a pipe dream.  We all know the many problems they are having with retention, so I’m not going to go there.

i just think 15 years may get a guy, who is going to leave at 12 at the peak of his aviation experience (experienced IP/EP) but still flying the line, to consider staying.  As I said, to bridge the gap until the AF figures out a more permanent solution.  I know they would never do that, but it makes me feel better throwing it out there on the off chance somebody that can make a difference actually reads this.

Look at you guys tossing out things the United States congress could do if they showed up to work and worked together...

Cute.

Oh, and forget an increased bonus...probably in those "personnel funds" we plan on raising for the wall that Mexico is going to pay for.

~Bendy