B-52 LOSES engine over North Dakota

flynhigh

I hope the AC flew a good approach.  Wouldn't want to have to invoke the "7-engine go-around".  

"Hey crew!  Everyone grab a throttle... we need to go missed!" 

Scary shit.  

Edited by HuggyU2

8 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

Interesting that that looks like it's been shot from a chase ship.  Wing's flexed up too much for it to be on the ground. 

Yeah you can see the exaughst from 1 & 2 if you look close enough.

On 1/15/2017 at 3:10 PM, HuggyU2 said:

I hope the AC flew a good approach.  Wouldn't want to have to invoke the "7-engine go-around".  

"Hey crew!  Everyone grab a throttle... we need to go missed!" 

Scary shit.  

With it being an inboard engine, I doubt he really noticed much of a difference.  It's losing an outboard that makes it a sonuvabitch. 

Edited by 08Dawg
engrish

18 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

With it being an inboard engine, I doubt he really noticed much of a difference.  It's losing an outboard that makes it a sonuvabitch. 

Do you guys have an Engine Failure Assist that deflects the rudder if you lose an engine on takeoff or landing?  The KC-135 has one if an outboard engine is lost.

1 hour ago, Azimuth said:

Do you guys have an Engine Failure Assist that deflects the rudder if you lose an engine on takeoff or landing?  The KC-135 has one if an outboard engine is lost.

Nope, it's all manual.  That's one of the hangups with any potential plan to reengine the jet.  If we go from eight to four, the rudder might not have enough control authority to counter a failed outboard, and adding a power assist is financially prohibitive. 

1 hour ago, 08Dawg said:

Nope, it's all manual.  That's one of the hangups with any potential plan to reengine the jet.  If we go from eight to four, the rudder might not have enough control authority to counter a failed outboard, and adding a power assist is financially prohibitive. 

The C-130J has another solution, since the rudder size/effectiveness didn't increase from the H model. It's called Automatic Thrust Control System (ATCS) which automatically reduces power to about 50% on the opposing outboard engine and ramps it back up steadily until a "minimum power restoration speed" based on full power VMCA. I assume a B-52 re-engine would involve computer controls (FADEC) and Power Levers, so this could be done with software, using the J as a precedent. Then again, jets take longer to spool down, so it may not work as well as turboprops.

It's only software...how much could it cost? /sarcasm

• Upvote 1

On January 17, 2017 at 5:11 PM, HerkPerfMan said:

The C-130J has another solution, since the rudder size/effectiveness didn't increase from the H model. It's called Automatic Thrust Control System (ATCS) which automatically reduces power to about 50% on the opposing outboard engine and ramps it back up steadily until a "minimum power restoration speed" based on full power VMCA. I assume a B-52 re-engine would involve computer controls (FADEC) and Power Levers, so this could be done with software, using the J as a precedent. Then again, jets take longer to spool down, so it may not work as well as turboprops.

It's only software...how much could it cost? /sarcasm

That would require us to have something digital in the aircraft, and that's not gonna happen!