Best Route to UPT

pilot97

I'll offer more advice as a 4th year ROTC student with a pilot slot.

ROTC is an excellent opportunity for college and becoming a pilot.  Let's start with college.

1) It's possible to receive an in college scholarship as a 2nd year cadet (which you'd be, should you join a detachment), though, depending on the year, the pickings can be slim.  A couple years ago they only offered scholarships for certain majors; more recently scholarships have been offered for any major.  The results, however, have been the same -- the students who really, really wanted it worked their butts off, worked with their cadre, nailed the PFA, and were ultimately awarded with a scholarship.  

2) Commissioning: Should you successfully complete AFROTC you'll enter the Air Force as a 2LT (not including med school/JAG/etc since it's not pertinent).  The career you'll have, however, is not guaranteed.  You'll need to have high marks in several areas to receive a pilot slot (commander's ranking, gpa, pfa, field training ranking, TBAS, etc).  Some of these are in your control: gpa, pfa, field training ranking*, while the others are not.  Work super hard at what you can control and, in my experience, the others will follow.  Personally, my TBAS wasn't great, but the rest of the pieces were pretty high and helped my score.  It also depends on the year.  For instance, this year they handed out quite a few pilot slots nationally and I think everyone at my det, save a couple, who wanted a pilot slot got one.

*you can kind of control this -- be the best wingman/cadet you can be and your ranking ought to be fine, but you don't literally decide your ranking. 

The bottom line is, as everyone here has said/will say, you've gotta work hard for it.  Luckily, you'll have over a year to prepare/train/keep your gpa rising for the selection board (which meets... January of your third year, if I remember correctly).  Feel free to PM me for any specific questions if you have any, good luck!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1