Best Route to UPT

pilot97

To start out, I am sorry if this has been asked already. The search function does not seem to be working from my end and opens to a blank page. I am a freshman at a community college and I have always been very interested in becoming an officer in the military. Secondly, I have always dreamed of becoming a pilot and flying in the military and then hopefully for an airline one day. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which way to go? I have researched AFROTC, ANG, and the Reserves for getting a flight spot and I am confused on which program to choose. I like how with the guard/reserves you can fly for an airline and the military concurrently at the same time. Secondly, AFROTC has a greater pilot selection rate; however, I know there is no guarantee with this path and the closest university that has a detachment is 57 miles away. I desire to serve my country and be an officer first, but I am just looking for help in weighing my options. Thank you for your help and it is greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Since I opened this thread again I figured I'd provide some input. I was naive about the process even into my mid 20's when I started thinking about it more seriously. I recently got selected by AFRC but had considered other options along the way. Based on what I've seen other people experience, and based on what I've read here, I've come up with the following general conclusions. Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm not commissioned yet:

If you go ROTC, you will basically putting all your faith in being in that percentage of cadets that get selected for pilot training. It can happen, but if it doesn't you're stuck for a number of years doing something else. 

Also if you go ROTC, or if you apply to an AD pilot board down the road you still have to be a part of active duty. Some of my friends went AD and hated it, and a lot of people on these forums recommend against AD.

AFRC/ANG totally puts the ball in your court. Your chances of being a pilot are basically 100% if you can get a unit to hire you, and like you said, you can do other civilian stuff on the side. And you get to pick a squadron, mission, and location that you like. 

In the wise words of the chief pilot of my squadron: "You do what you want". But in my circumstances, Guard or Reserve were really the only appealing options. 

One added stat, when I did my FC1 physical a few months ago, 100% of the ROTC cadets that were there were selected for the RPA mission. So honestly I would not put myself at the mercy of ROTC. 

It is great that you're thinking about it now. Good luck with whatever you decide! 

Edited by bb17

@bb17 Thank you so much for your information. I do like how with AFRC/ANG I will have a choice with selection of which time of aircraft. On service academy forum, I read that it can take years to obtain a spot and that one must have a ppl to become selected?? 

17 minutes ago, pilot97 said:

@bb17 Thank you so much for your information. I do like how with AFRC/ANG I will have a choice with selection of which time of aircraft. On service academy forum, I read that it can take years to obtain a spot and that one must have a ppl to become selected?? 

That is true but it is not entirely a bad thing. I am probably a prime example of that. I started thinking about it seriously in my mid 20's, took my TBAS/AFOQT when I was 26, had a few interviews from age 26 thru 29, and then hit an age wall and pretty much gave up on it. Two years later I woke up and said screw that and started applying again and actually managed to get hired with an age waiver. So yeah, it took me about 6 years to get hired. That is definitely NOT the norm though - most of those years were during sequestration when it was close to impossible to get hired, and then my age situation caused a big paperwork delay on top of that. Most people seem to have a PPL but it is not required. I think if you just have a few flight hours it will demonstrate that you do have the interest. I've seen people with between 0 and 3000 hours get hired. 

Applying for a pilot slot will always be competitive, whether it is Academy, ROTC, or AFRC/ANG. So there is no easy route, but I think AFRC/ANG will give you the highest chances of accomplishing your overall goals.

Edited by bb17

@bb17 Wow, well congratulations and thank you for your insight. I have wanted this since I was little, so I am never going to give up. As I live far away from an ROTC detachment and the chance of not being selected, ANG/AFRC seem to be a good fit. Is OTS as competitive as the ANG/AFRC.

7 minutes ago, pilot97 said:

@bb17 Wow, well congratulations and thank you for your insight. I have wanted this since I was little, so I am never going to give up. As I live far away from an ROTC detachment and the chance of not being selected, ANG/AFRC seem to be a good fit. Is OTS as competitive as the ANG/AFRC.

Not sure I understand the question - but ANG/AFRC go to the same OTS as active duty. But I guess if you go to ROTC or Academy you get to skip OTS and commission directly. I'd rather put up with 2 months of OTS than 4 years of ROTC, but that's just me. 

Edited by bb17

If you want to go the ANG/Reserves, enlist with a Guard unit in your area, or a unit you would like to fly for one day!  Most units have great educational benefits with tuition assistance that you could use to help you achieve your bachelor's degree without incurring debt.  Then apply to every Guard unit that has a UPT board.  Most units will give automatic interviews to unit members that have all of the boxes checked. Like Kilo said get a private pilots license, or as many flight hours as possible.  I recommend enlisting because as most people can attest here it is very hard to get hired off the street, not impossible though.  This is the route that I took, and I got hired my first interview.

Best of Luck!

• Like 1

@Kiloalpha Very true. Currently, I work full time and go to school, so that could certainly help take off the "load" while putting me on the right path towards my ultimate dream and goal. Just to clarify, I could apply at anytime in my enlistment as long as I have my 4-yr degree. 

With taking school off it really depends on timing. I've know people who only had to take a semester off of school, some a full year. If you're young it's definitely worth it. You can certainly enlist after you receive your Bachelor's. Also, yes at anytime during your enlistment you can apply to boards. Even AD OTS. The Guard/Reserves is a family. They like to take care of their own. *If you're a good dude

Just one thing to keep in mind. I saw people wash out of the process by getting medically DQ'ed at their FC1. So it is possible that you could enlist, apply to be a pilot, selected, and then still wash out. The people I've seen hired probably were about 50% enlisted / 50% civilian. Some units seem to hire only one or the other, while other did a mix. There doesn't seem to be a magic formula. Just do what you think is best.

Opinion:  don't think it's a great idea to enlist if you KNOW your goal is officer/pilot.  Sure it can and has worked out for dudes, but reality is you're putting yourself at least a few years behind timeline, possibly doing something you don't really want to do, maybe end up not getting hired at the unit you're enlisted in, when all along you already knew what you wanted.  Unless you need it for college help or just don't know what you want to do/need a couple years to figure life out, it's seems to be more of a gamble than a "great way" to increase your odds of your dream job.  No I didn't take this route, but I do know several guys who did and who share these sentiments.  Go for what you want right away, i.e. keep applying at UPT boards across multiple units.

FWIW, I've had a great AD experience (for the most part); yes I'm punching, but that doesn't mean I would do anything different if I rewound the clock 10 years.  ROTC to AD pilot was a great path for me and a lot of other guys, so don't discount it.  Give good consideration to all the options; there's a lot of very negative sport bitching on here (I'm just as guilty as others), but AD was not a bad way to spend the first 10 years of my flying career.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, brabus said:

Opinion:  don't think it's a great idea to enlist if you KNOW your goal is officer/pilot...

This.  Our hiring boards generally have far more qualified applicants than positions.  Enlisting in the unit is far from a sure path to flying.  I was AD for 12+ before I punched to the guard and I was treated well.  Sometimes it was because I worked hard; sometimes it was because I was lucky.  AD has screwed some people; they have every right to be disappointed and you read some of their stories here.  ANG/AFRES has screwed people too.

AD benefits: If you apply to OTS you can know if you are going to UPT before you even join.  If going ROTC, they can pay a ton for college; they did for me.  Also: job security, the ability to see a lot of the country and the world, you'll also finish your commitment with enough hours to be competitive for the airlines.  Drawbacks: job security comes with a 10+ yr commitment.  You give up control or your airframe and you could (very small chance overall) end up in droids for a bit. 

Guard benefits: More control over airframe/location.  Drawbacks: less job security, fewer years/hours means you're not competitive for the majors after training/seasoning, and oh by the way I've seen units get BRAC'd.  I've also seen dudes near the end of the pipeline that have to move around to find orders.  That looks unlikely for the next few years but remember, everything is cyclical.

This hiring spree will curtail at some point; how soon and how much is anyone's guess.  AD is in the shitter now but in several years, some policy changes and pay increases could change things a bit.  You need to think about some of the factors above, along with others, and figure out which are more important to you.  Me personally - I'm happy to homestead now in the ANG starting a family, but the ability to move and see the world as a younger dude was great on AD.  Dudes ran for the airlines in the late 90s and are now.  They were also begging for orders after 2001.  Fighters dropped like crazy when I went through and now, in between we've seen 38 grads go to AWACS and droids.  Shit changes; don't make decisions assuming the status quo is a given.

OTS Route:

I submitted my application for a pilot slot senior year of college. I took the AFOQT/TBAS, submitted 3 letters of recommendation, met with a Lt Col for an hour to talk about why I wanted to join the AF and spent an invigorating day at MEPs. I started OTS shortly after graduation. 

Pros: I wasn't doing PT at 5a.m. I was sleeping. I competed based on my scores, letters of recommendation, and the recommendation of the Lt Col that interviewed me. I didn't have to play ROTC politics etc. I entered AD on my terms, with a pilot slot in hand and no commitment until I finished OTS.

Cons: OTS fills the pilot slots not filled by the Academy or ROTC, so not everyone gets picked up the first time if there aren't any slots left over (sts), and you can only apply so many times. My school wasn't paid for.

I'm sure others on here can point out more pros/cons but those were the big ones from my perspective. I know plenty of guys that did ROTC and loved it.

There are so many options and I am going to re-read through all the post carefully and try to make the best decision for me and my current situation. I can express how grateful I am for everyone's input 

Could I apply to OTS and guard/reserve for a UPT all at once after I get my 4 year degree? 

Edited by pilot97
Added question