B Course Naming Convention

redshift2020

Does anyone know the convention that the USAF uses in its B-courses? I can't find any regulation or any other document that dictates how it is decided.

For example 16-EBG at Luke or 15-BBH at Holloman. They aren't always the same even at the same base. Does anyone know what or how the letters are decided?

Thank you for your time!

Redshift

A reg for a naming ceremony? Ha!

If you're lucky, you might find some unofficial squadron gouge, but everything is pretty much handed down from one mayor to the next. They're different between MDSs, and even between different squadrons of the same MDS.

PS - don't sweat it too much, you won't have that B-Course name for long,

Toro I think he's referring to the course designation for the RTUs, not callsigns.

I have no idea and can't understand why anyone would really care.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Just curious. Almost everything in the AF makes some sense (careful saying that around here, but not in that context :P) or is backed up by some documentation. Just why are they letters and not numbers, what decides the class name. Nothing makes sense in the upside down world of class naming even on spread sheets ordered by base and even class size. There's no pattern and it seems random.

4 hours ago, Toro said:

A reg for a naming ceremony? Ha!

If you're lucky, you might find some unofficial squadron gouge, but everything is pretty much handed down from one mayor to the next. They're different between MDSs, and even between different squadrons of the same MDS.

PS - don't sweat it too much, you won't have that B-Course name for long,

Please check with your WSO before posting. :beer:

• Upvote 10

6 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

Try asking the Wing Historian.  He might know and he'll probably be overjoyed to know that someone knows he exists.

I once asked a wing historian what something on a patch was.  GPF is 100% correct in the response.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2016 at 5:39 PM, Seriously said:

YY-#$%

YY - Year

# - Letter of class # from A to Z (First class in the year is A, last is Z)

$ - B = Basic Course (as opposed to transition)

% - First letter of base assigned.

This is basically correct.  Your best bet would be to contact whoever the PFT manager (a pilot) at Luke or Holloman to get your answer, as they are the ones that ultimately name the classes.  Some other examples of the middle letter: B=B-course, 1=TX track 1, 2=TX track 2, 3=Tx track 3, I=IPUG track 1, J=IPUG track 2 or 3, and there are some more letters that they use for senior officer and thunderbird courses that I can't remember.  The last letter is always H for Holloman.  For Luke, they use G for the Block 42 squadrons, and I think C for the Block 25 squadrons.