Aircraft Ramp of the past

ClearedHot

1 hour ago, ihtfp06 said:

What variant is the 135?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a early 1955 A model with the original vertical stabilizer that did not have yaw damper installed. The engines are J57-59W Pratts or Fords. That serial# probably is no longer in the inventory as with all the 55 and 56 series jets have been parked stripped and cut up for scrap. Researched that tail# 55-3121 it crashed near Valdez Alaska in 85 with loss of crew, it was a RC-135T at that time.

Edited by Prosuper
more info

1 hour ago, DirkDiggler said:

I got 4

Me too, if active NASA service counts.

Are any F-86 or Century Series fighters still in the inventory, even if only used by TPS or something?

Edited by HerkPerfMan
extra question

4 hours ago, gearpig said:

What a time to be involved in aviation it must have been. I just googled the B-36 for the hell of it and learned it was a testbed for some crazy ideas like tracked landing gear and wingtip towing of fighters. nodt8yr60ytkpezfhgq6.jpg

The B-36 was also the testbed for another kind of "nuclear bomber" - the NB-36H flying nuclear reactor.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, matmacwc said:

2 airframes

Slow day at the retirement village?

The C-130 is an A model and all are gone as far as I know.

The KC-135 is an A model and all are gone as far as I know.

An argument can be for the B-57 as NASA still has three flying, but all the WB-57s are F models and the one pictures is an E model.  If you care B-57E Tail #54244 is on display at Strategic Air and Space Museum, Offutt AFB, Bellevue, Nebraska.

An argument could also be made for the BUFF, but that looks like a big tail and they are all gone.

Fairly certain all the Tweets are gone, unless some dictator is South America or Africa has one in his garage.

That leaves the F-86, several privately owned owns are out there and a company was using them to pull darts for you pointy nose drivers.

Now you made me miss the early bird special so GET OFF MY LAWN.

Edited by ClearedHot
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

The C-130 is an A model and all are gone as far as I know.

The KC-135 is an A model and all are gone as far as I know.

An argument can be for the B-57 as NASA still has three flying, but there are all F models and the one pictures is an E model.  If you care B-57E Tail #54244 is on display at Strategic Air and Space Museum, Offutt AFB, Bellevue, Nebraska.

An argument could also be made for the BUFF, but that looks like a big tail and they are all gone.

Fairly certain all the Tweets are gone, unless some dictator is South America or Africa has one in his garage.

That leaves the F-86, several privately owned owns are out there and a company was using them to pull darts for you pointy nose drivers.

Now you made me miss the early bird special so GET OFF MY LAWN.

I was just going on basic models still in U.S. government service, not specific variants:

1. B-52 (USAF)

2. KC-135 (USAF)

3. C-130 (USAF, USMC, USCG, NASA)

4. B-57 (NASA still flies WB-57)

If we're opening it up to all models that still have airworthy examples, a lot more can be added to the list.

4 hours ago, HerkPerfMan said:

I was just going on basic models still in U.S. government service, not specific variants...

I was just going on basic models still in U.S.A.F. service...

Also the NASA Super Guppy is a modified KC-97

Not necessarily "in service", but you can see the F-86, F-100, HU-16, A-37 (close enough), and Constellation still flying in private hands.

Info stolen from another site:

This photo appeared in Air Force magazine's Golden Anniversary issue, dated 5/57.

Here is the caption:

Nearly all the operational aircraft—for combat and support—in the US Air Force are shown in this "family portrait" made at the Air Proving Ground Command, Eglin AFB, Fla.

Here's the full list:

Sikorsky H-19 helicopter

Cessna T-37 jet trainer

F-86D Sabre interceptor

Lockheed F-94C Starfire jet interceptor

Lockheed EC-121 Super Constellation

Boeing KC-97 tanker

Republic F-84F Thunderstreak jet fighter

North American F-86 Sabre jet fighter

Convair F-102 Delta Dagger

North American F-100 Super Sabre

Martin B-57 Canberra

Douglas B-66 Destroyer

Boeing B-47 Stratojet

Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker

Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Convair B-36 Peacemaker

Douglas C-124 Globemaster II

Boeing KB-50

Lockheed C-130 Hercules

Grumman SA-16 Albratross

Northrup F-89D Scorpion

McDonnell RF-101 Voodoo

• Upvote 1

NASA had a Tweet for spin training.  They loaned it to the Test Pilot School at Edwards for the same purpose.  Not sure if it's still flying but the Wiki NASA list of aircraft still shows it.

If you include the world, Pakistan still trains their pilots with T-37s.

The B-66/A-3 flew until just about 5 years ago with Raytheon. Was at VNY a few years ago on a T-38 cross country and got them to give us a tour. They had a hangar with about 5 airframes in them. Pretty cool.  

• Upvote 2

Me too, if active NASA service counts.
Are any F-86 or Century Series fighters still in the inventory, even if only used by TPS or something?

NASA had a Tweet for spin training.  They loaned it to the Test Pilot School at Edwards for the same purpose.  Not sure if it's still flying but the Wiki NASA list of aircraft still shows it.
If you include the world, Pakistan still trains their pilots with T-37s.

USAF TPS used to use an F-106 and the venerable Tweet, but no longer.

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network Forums