A couple of questions from a clueless civilian

Foretopman

Question

I'm not really sure why I think I want to know the answers to these questions. Perhaps it's still my fantasy of being the next Tom Clancy.

Question #1: In a flying squadron (or what AFI 38-101 calls an Operations Squadron), are there normally any officers who are not "rated" officers?

Question #2: In a flying squadron, are there generally any enlisted personnel (other than flight crew) who are under the command of the aircraft commanders or flight commanders? (So, not people under the Ops officer, etc. See AFI 38-101 Figure 3.8)  If yes, can you tell me about them?

Thank you for indulging my curiosity, and I apologize if this is an inappropriate question for this forum.

2 answers to this question

Short answer for the fighter/bomber world: yes to both. There is a non-rated intelligence officer, usually 2-4 enlisted intelligence airmen under their supervision. There is also an aviation resource management section (ARMS), in my experience about 3-4 airmen under the supervision of a senior NCO. ARMS manages the administrative functions of flying operations - printing flight orders, managing flying currencies (how many takeoffs, landings, etc the pilots have accomplished) and ensuring that flight ops are conducted in accordance with Air Force policy. The ARMS shop may or may not fall under the direction of a flight commander depending on how that particular commander wants to structure his squadron. The squadron may also have an airman or two assigned as commanders support staff (CSS) - that has fluctuated in the past depending on manning. The commander will also usually have a civilian secretary.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1