Legal Commitment to ANG

Does anyone have a succinct reference (AFI or otherwise) of what the legal commitment is to your ANG unit?  I know we have a legal requirement to attend drill and if you don't show up, the sheriff can pick you up and physically make you attend drill.  How about if you come to drill but make no other efforts to stay current?  What are the repercussions of that?  How does the UPT commitment figure into all of this?

• Upvote 1

Might wanna check yourselves fellas.  I've been contributing for quite awhile now.  Just researching some options because life changes.  Save your flaming for another topic with Rainman or scoobs or masshole or whoever we're currently making fun of. 

I can assure you he isn't the only one exploring all options.  Life changes, commanders change (big issue with some squadrons) and the Guard has drastically changed!  It seems that lately, there have been quite a few dudes leave squadrons for other gigs (flying and non-flying).    Take one look at where the Guard Vipers have been sent lately.  Involuntarily mobilized...to go sit and do nothing.  What a waste of manpower and tax dollars...I'll never understand how it's not fraud, waste and abuse.

I'm not sure of the reference, but have you checked the ADSC paperwork we signed at the end of UPT?  A quick google search turned up AFI 36-2001 (1.10-1.11).  It may not have the answer you're looking for, but it may provide a trail to search.  Have you talked to a JAG?  Let us know what you find.  

Best of luck!

2 hours ago, F16Rooster said:

Might wanna check yourselves fellas.  I've been contributing for quite awhile now.  Just researching some options because life changes.  Save your flaming for another topic with Rainman or scoobs or masshole or whoever we're currently making fun of. 

Fair enough. I respect a person's situation as we all have our own individual issues and we must do what's best for our families. The comment was simply for a little bit of fun. With that being said, it probably would've been best to post the question in the Q&A thread, so no lambasting could take place. 

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/forum/26-q-a-forum/

Enough from me and good luck on your situation. 

2 hours ago, SocialD said:

I can assure you he isn't the only one exploring all options.  Life changes, commanders change (big issue with some squadrons) and the Guard has drastically changed!  It seems that lately, there have been quite a few dudes leave squadrons for other gigs (flying and non-flying).    Take one look at where the Guard Vipers have been sent lately.  Involuntarily mobilized...to go sit and do nothing.  What a waste of manpower and tax dollars...I'll never understand how it's not fraud, waste and abuse.

I'm not sure of the reference, but have you checked the ADSC paperwork we signed at the end of UPT?  A quick google search turned up AFI 36-2001 (1.10-1.11).  It may not have the answer you're looking for, but it may provide a trail to search.  Have you talked to a JAG?  Let us know what you find.  

Best of luck!

Haven't talked to JAG yet cause I'm a bum and like every bum, I avoid drill like the plague.  I'll try to figure out the other day of the month that they're on base and pay them a visit.  I'll let everyone know my findings.

1 hour ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Fair enough. I respect a person's situation as we all have our own individual issues and we must do what's best for our families. The comment was simply for a little bit of fun. With that being said, it probably would've been best to post the question in the Q&A thread, so no lambasting could take place. 

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/forum/26-q-a-forum/

Enough from me and good luck on your situation. 

In the Q&A thread of the "Road to Wings" section?  No thanks.  I think current guard pilots might have better input than future guard pilots. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, gearpig said:

Why does it seem as though you have not talked to your unit leadership about this? In my unit, if someone is having a difficult life situation, our leadership would bend over backwards to help them.

Because you're asking here first, going to the JAG, and giving no mitigating circumstances, the impression you're creating is that this is more a matter of convenience than necessity. If that's the case...

I'm here because after numerous discussions, my leadership (some) is NOT helping and is in fact roadblocking me.  I'm sorry the impression I'm creating is negative.  I can assure you I've done all else I can think of (except JAG as mentioned) and am just trying to figure out what kind of teeth all the threats have.

Transferring to another guard unit that I'm hired at.  LOR's, legal action, etc for not living within 50 miles of the area, not fulfilling my UPT commitment to my guard unit, not staying current, etc.  And I shouldn't say threatening.  Maybe mentioning.  You know, just mentioning LOR's...

20 hours ago, Herk Driver said:

Your UPT commitment is to the AF/ANG not an individual unit...

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

It seems as though some people would think there's at least an implied commitment to the unit or at least the state.

11 hours ago, gearpig said:

So you got hired by the airlines, amirite? :D

Nope.  Following a significant other.